PDA

View Full Version : What's good to throw in my new deep fryer?

dapittboss
09-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I just picked up a deep fryer. Man I've always wanted one of these things. I'm going through the kitchen finding all kinds of stuff to toss in there. It seems that almost any food can be improved by deep frying. I love the fried buritos, and onion rings, shrimp, fast food style hash browns, biscuit dough doughnuts, etc...

So, anyone have any ideas for me?

rbinms33
09-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Corn on the cob (battered or not) and battered dill slices are two of my faves.

Ron_L
09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Do you like crab rangoons (like at the chinese restaurant)? they are easy to make. Buy a pack of wonton skins, some cream cheese and a can of crab meat. Mix the cfream cheese, crab meat and some seasoning (a little worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper). Deep fry and enjoy! Here's the actual recipe that we use...

Crab Rangoon Recipe

Yield: 44 - 48

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces fresh crab meat or canned crab meat, drained and flaked
1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1 - 1 1/2 green onions, finely sliced
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon red onion, chopped

1 package wonton wrappers
1 small bowl filled with water for wetting wontons
Oil for deep-frying (http://chinesefood.about.com/library/bldeepfrytips.htm)

Directions:
Combine the crab and the cream cheese. Mix in the remaining filling ingredients one at a time.

On a flat surface, lay out a wonton wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Wet the edges of the wonton.

Add a heaping teaspoon of filling to the middle, and spread it out toward the left and right points of the diamond so that it forms a log or rectangular shape (otherwise the wrapper may break in the middle during deep-frying).

Fold over the edges of the wrapper so that it forms a triangle shape. Seal the edges, adding more water if needed.

Cover the completed Crab Rangoon with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out while preparing the rest.

Heat wok and add oil for deep-frying. When oil is ready (the temperature should be between 360 - 375 degrees), carefully slide in the Crab Rangoon, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cool and serve.
(To make ahead of time, prepare the filling and stuff the wontons and freeze without deep-frying. When ready to cook, thaw before deep-frying.)

BrooklynQ
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Ice cream.

make balls of ice cream.
Freeze till really hard
get a pack of tempura batter.
dip ballls of ice cream in batter
fry till batter is just done

BBQchef33
09-17-2005, 11:33 AM
neighbors kid that keeps freaking out my dogs...

or .......

WING DINGS.... or the spicey ones are WING ZINGS.

The best chciken wings your'll ever have... if ya cant find them local, u can by'em on the net. Farkin Awesome.... ask bill we had em at 3am at the bash when everyone went to sleep. :)

brdbbq
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Ron_L]Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Crab Rangoon Recipe

QUOTE]

You just made me a Hero at my house

fivelombardis
09-17-2005, 12:25 PM
this is a VERY simple recipe...takes about 2 years off the end of your lifespan...but it always turns out real good!! ha ha ha

Get yourself a pork butt and cut it into about 2" cubes (maybe a little bigger), and spice the crap outta em with your favorite cajun spice. get the oil (preferably pork fat/lard) to about 350-375. drop the pieces of meat into the oil and let them fry. once they get to a beautiful color AND start to semi-float, they're done. eat them with your favorite hot sauce in a tortilla.

icemn62
09-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Heart is pounding hard just reading that recipe. I know you did the obvious, French Fries! ! ! God how I love a good french fry. Maybe I should tell the wife I want to take her out to dinner, so we can get some alone time. WAIT, USC plays tonight at 7:00pm. can not take a chance of missing that game, I think I will just ask her to make burgers and fries instead.

Aeynghus
09-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Cheese.

Samichlaus
09-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Dredge some pork chops in Lay's salt & vinegar potato chips, (dip 'em in seasoned flour, then a beaten egg, then the roughly crushed chips.

Home-made corn dogs come out great too.

chad
09-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Depending on the size - fryers make good "boilers" too.

Shrimp, potatoes, corn, and onion with a little Old Bay or your favorite "boil" seasoning come out great. Last time I did a "shrimp boil" I threw in some crap legs (thanks for the idea Tim!) and used a dolop or two of Franks to spice things up a bit more.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Calamari Fritti ( Fried Squid )
Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)

Almost everyone has eaten Calamari and when cooked correctly they are outstanding.

Arancini are basically stuffed deep fried Risotto balls. These are a true treat.

Enjoy!
Guido

Bigmista
09-17-2005, 05:26 PM

Almost everyone has eaten Calamari and when cooked correctly they are outstanding.

Arancini are basically stuffed deep fried Risotto balls. These are a true treat.

Enjoy!
Guido

I had fried calamari and zucchini at Louise's trattoria last night. Also had a Kobe beef burger.

Great meal.

Ron_L
09-17-2005, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=Ron_L]Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Crab Rangoon Recipe

QUOTE]

You just made me a Hero at my house

Glad to be of service... Let me know how they like 'em...

racer_81
09-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Vegetarians.

willkat98 has a recipe somewhere for Fried Vegetarians.

As I recall, the toes are extra crispy.

rookiedad
09-17-2005, 10:02 PM
try fried calzones! roll out a pizza dough. cut it in half. put a medium sized pile of ricotta and shredded mozzerella. top with ham, pepperoni (or pulled pork!). fold the dough over and krimp with a fork. cut off the excess with a knife or a pizza cutter and fry them up until golden brown! enjoy!
phil

Trout_man22
09-17-2005, 10:15 PM
try fried calzones! roll out a pizza dough. cut it in half. put a medium sized pile of ricotta and shredded mozzerella. top with ham, pepperoni (or pulled pork!). fold the dough over and krimp with a fork. cut off the excess with a knife or a pizza cutter and fry them up until golden brown! enjoy!
phil

Now that sounds good

Solidkick
09-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Turkey fry.....pricy, but excellent.......

smokeypig
09-17-2005, 11:27 PM

buy 4-5 12 pounders, inject with garlic butter mixed with worschestershire(that ain't how it's spelled, but, dang it, you get the picture) sauce and crystal hot sauce. rub down with your favorite cajun rub and drop them thangs in 375 degree oil 3.5 minutes a pound. good eats for sure...

but then there's something better - sticky finger wings. use drummettes only. the bigger the better. smoke them thangs with oak, apple or hickory heavy for about 1 1/2 hours, but only after letting them soak overnight in a bath of olive oil, rosemary - and lots of it, salt, cracked black pepper, some red pepper if yer so moved, a bit of basil, some rubbed sage (not much - a little goes a long way), and a bit more rosemary - ya want the needles all over the wings...

then, drop them wings in the fryer basket and put it 375 oil for no more than 3-4 minutes. if you like, take one out, let it cool and give it a taste. if they're ready, then take the basket out, drain, and put the wings out with a bowl of your favorite home made or store bought bbq sauce. i have been using either sticky finger's bourbon barbecue sauce - sweet!! - kicked up with a little bit of crystal hot sauce, or with jardin's pecan hickory sauce - also texas sweet barbecue sauce.

the crispy, smokey flavor of them wings is just freakin awesome.

BBQchef33
09-17-2005, 11:51 PM

Enjoy!
Guido

damn Guido.. u just wrecked me.. i forgot about these.. i make em with diced pepperoni, slices of prosciutto(diced), and mozzerella in them. Form the rice ball and roll in seasoned bread crumbs then deep fry and serve with some sauce on the side. Think i may be hittin pastosa's tomorrow. :mrgreen:

thanks alot...... and i mean that!!! I just decided tomorrow is a day of antipasto. All day... :)

Samichlaus
09-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Sweet potato french fries are yummy too.

VitaminQ
09-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I've always been pretty partial to deep-fried chicken wings, myself. Chicken-fried steak, too; Cook's Illustrated has a really good recipe.

Solidkick
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
buy 4-5 12 pounders, inject with garlic butter mixed with worschestershire(that ain't how it's spelled, but, dang it, you get the picture) sauce and crystal hot sauce. rub down with your favorite cajun rub and drop them thangs in 375 degree oil 3.5 minutes a pound. good eats for sure...

but then there's something better - sticky finger wings. use drummettes only. the bigger the better. smoke them thangs with oak, apple or hickory heavy for about 1 1/2 hours, but only after letting them soak overnight in a bath of olive oil, rosemary - and lots of it, salt, cracked black pepper, some red pepper if yer so moved, a bit of basil, some rubbed sage (not much - a little goes a long way), and a bit more rosemary - ya want the needles all over the wings...

then, drop them wings in the fryer basket and put it 375 oil for no more than 3-4 minutes. if you like, take one out, let it cool and give it a taste. if they're ready, then take the basket out, drain, and put the wings out with a bowl of your favorite home made or store bought bbq sauce. i have been using either sticky finger's bourbon barbecue sauce - sweet!! - kicked up with a little bit of crystal hot sauce, or with jardin's pecan hickory sauce - also texas sweet barbecue sauce.

the crispy, smokey flavor of them wings is just freakin awesome.

LOL@Smokey.....I was talking about frying up turkey testicles.......

thillin
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM

I like just frying turkey parts. Legs thighs & wings. Get them fresh. Get a turkey boob every so often. Takes a whole lot less peanut oil.

Fried mushrooms, jalapeno poppers & slices, breaded Cheese curds or any good cheese, fish, hushpuppies, bloomin onions, hot dogs (cut a small slit spiralling from end to end), artichokes, raviloi, smoked sausage and egg rolls. Even seen deep fried ribs , oreos, twinkies. Any kind of meat, chicken fried steak especially.

That should keep you busy with the others listed above.

Ty

Bill-Chicago
09-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Fry up some of them puppy peters

bet they'd be good

qman
09-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Mr. Kick
The only place I was ever had a chance to partake of "turkey fries" was at a country club in St. Joe, MO a few years ago while in town attending seminars.
I loved the things--Me and the group of guys I was with ran the kitchen out, and I think we ran the bar out of beer too.:grin:

slat
09-18-2005, 01:38 PM
How about a bloomin' onion. If you think it'll be good fried try it.

smokeypig
09-18-2005, 02:15 PM

ewwwww!!!!

stone mountain oysters? Not in this life!!!!

(trying not to gag mod here....)

Jeff_in_KC
09-18-2005, 02:29 PM
A chimney of charcoal!

icemn62
09-18-2005, 02:38 PM
A chimney of charcoal!

K side up or down:?:

CharlieBeasley
09-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Enjoy!
Guido

Have you got a good recipe for Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)
I spent 6 years in Souther Italy and it is one of the foods I enjoyed but did not get a good recipe for.

smokincracker
09-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Whole pork loin......awsome fried
roll in good bbq rub and fry fry fry.

Qczar
09-19-2005, 10:43 AM
My favorite thing to fry is crawfish tails. Roll`em in heavily seasoned flour first. Serve`em with a spicy creole mustard sauce.

If any of you have ever been to Little Italy in NY. The old style of hot sauce on fried seafood. Calamari, shrimp, soft shell crab, scalops, oysters, etc (just seafood in flour). All great stuff with that type of sauce. My version is better than the one`s they serve now, and close to what they used to serve years ago before too many tourists complained about how hot it was.

Peanut oil is key to both of these.

Ron_L
09-19-2005, 10:54 AM
That reminds me of something that I haven't done in a long time! We used to take fresh salmon and cut the fillet into pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches on a side, bread them (we used Shore Lunch brand) and then deep fry for just a couple of minutes (since they are small, the salmon cooks quickly). Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

Kevin
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
That reminds me of something that I haven't done in a long time! We used to take fresh salmon and cut the fillet into pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches on a side, bread them (we used Shore Lunch brand) and then deep fry for just a couple of minutes (since they are small, the salmon cooks quickly). Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

****tail sauce.

Looks like Ron got moderated.

thillin
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

Here is a good one:

C0CKTAIL SAUCE RECIPE

1 bottle (12 oz) of Heinz chili sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoons of Kraft Prepared Horseradish
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

Whatever you do DON'T get the horseradish SAUCE. It HAS TO BE "Prepared Horseradish"

Start with 2 Tablespoons of horseradish and stir all ingredients together well and chill in the refrigerator. This makes about 1-1/2 cups of sauce. If you like it a little hotter, add a little more horseradish. A little less hot, add some more chili sauce.

Keep it well covered in the refrigerator and it should be okay for a couple of weeks.

brdbbq
09-19-2005, 01:22 PM
We use Prepared Horseradish and Ketchup together. The Horse Radish was fresh From Illinois none of this store bought chit.

frognot
09-19-2005, 02:36 PM
K side up or down:?:

Ks naturally float up.

Last thing i fried in turkey fryer was some speckled trout and some boudin balls.

Samichlaus
09-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Arancini with the meats & cheeses in it sounds amazing!

Ron_L
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
****tail sauce.

Looks like Ron got moderated.

Been out all day and just saw it! Now that's pretty funny! Let's experiment...

****adoodledooo
****roach
Joe ****er
Don't go off half ****ed
Spatch****ed Chicken

rbinms33
09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Ty. I copied that one down and put in my recipes. Will try it at our next fish fry/shrimp boil.

rookiedad
09-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Have you got a good recipe for Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)
I spent 6 years in Souther Italy and it is one of the foods I enjoyed but did not get a good recipe for.

i make rice balls a little differently. they are just smaller than a softball and stuffed with meat and peas. first fry some chopped meat with some diced onions and dried basil and a tiny bit of nutmeg.and salt and pepper. add frozen baby peas and cook until thawed. then OVERCOOK some rice and allow to cool. add grated parmagiana cheese and mix. the rice and cheese will be a little gooey so put some olive oil on your hands and form the rice into balls just smaller than a baseball. with your thumb form each ball into a cup. fill with meat and peas just short of the top. reform the rice into a ball around the meat. roll in italian bread crumbs and deep fry! serve these cut in half and topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzerella. enjoy!
phil

Jeff_in_KC
09-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Been out all day and just saw it! Now that's pretty funny! Let's experiment...

****adoodledooo
****roach
Joe ****er
Don't go off half ****ed
Spatch****ed Chicken

What has happened to this ****amamy thread? :shock:

dapittboss
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Whole pork loin......awsome fried
roll in good bbq rub and fry fry fry.

I'll be frying up a pork roast to make carnitas this week. Tasty stuff.

Bill-Chicago
09-19-2005, 10:52 PM
ravioli

did someone mention that?

You MoFos, bring fresh ravioli to greg's

meat please, cheese ravioli is served with a shovel

qman
09-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Home-made potato chips---the best!

Chips made from sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, Parsnips, turnip roots, yucca, boniato etc.
all you need is one of those cheep plastic mandolines [if you don't have a good one], or a real good eye and a sharp knife.