PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer a little insight?

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I've been having a bit of an issue that I'm hoping y'all can help me with. The majority of my smoking has been limited to mainly chicken and ribs. I've now tried 3 pork butts, and have had the same issue with each. First off, this is on my 22.5 OTS. Yesterday, I got my heat stabilized and threw on an 8 lb. butt at about 6:45 am. Temps were maintained at 250-275 for the majority of the day, although I did have one or two instances where it dropped to 225 or spiked to 300. She cooked up great, except that she stalled out at about 180 degrees, at about 5:30 pm. Over the next 2 1/2 hours, it only went up 4 degrees. I realize meats will plateau when smoking, but I took this off the grill at 8:00 (after 13.5 hours) and it was still only at 185. I thought my thermometers were off, but they seem accurate; the bone did not easily pull out, and there were areas that were definitely tougher to pull apart, although it was wonderful to eat. I've had the same issue with every pork butt I've made. Am I wrong in thinking that 13 hours for an 8 lb butt is longer than it should take at those temps? I've always kind of planned for 10 hours on these, and it's taking me well over every time; to hit 190-195 probably would have taken me 15 hours or more. I'm about to try my first brisket Thursday night, and I'm suddenly worried that it's going to take me 20 hours! Any suggestions/insight?

MikeLucky
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm still a bit of a noob to the world of smoking meats... but, from what I understand 180 is a magic number for brisket and pork... everytime I've done either, once it got to 180, I took it off and foil/towel/cooler'd it for another hour or two and after that they are always fantastic.

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Are you sure that your thermometer reading the air temp is acurate? Where is the thermometer being placed, through a vent hole or at the grate level? When is the last time your food thermo was calibrated?

Fatback Joe
06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Are you sure that your thermometer reading the air temp is acurate? Where is the thermometer being placed, through a vent hole or at the grate level?

I was just in the process of typing this same thing.

Sure sounds like you aren't cooking at the temps you think you are.

At 250, I plan on 1 hour per pound and am usually done early.

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm still a bit of a noob to the world of smoking meats... but, from what I understand 180 is a magic number for brisket and pork... everytime I've done either, once it got to 180, I took it off and foil/towel/cooler'd it for another hour or two and after that they are always fantastic.

180* seems a little low to me. More in the range of 190* to 205*/210* in my experience. Although, I have had a few that have been done closer to the 185* range, but not many. I also use the probe test to check and don't rely on a thermometer so much when it comes to 'que.

jacksedona
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
i always try to keep the temperature around 225,i go out and check the meat after 6 hours if the temp stays that high seems to work for me me

http://www.thebarbecuemaster.net/butt.html

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Great minds think alike Joe!!!:biggrin1:

Fatback Joe
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Great minds think alike Joe!!!:biggrin1:

........and so do we. :loco:

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Not 100% sure about the air thermo; it's a cheapo that attaches to the grate (using it as an interim till I decide if I want a remote or a River Country 101). But it's in line with my old thermo, which worked well. It's never been an issue with chicken or ribs, which I realize are far less fussy. I have not calibrated my food thermos, but by feel they seemed to be fairly accurate; at 190-195, the bone should basically just slide out from what I understand, and I had to really tug at it.

I have not tried foiling...perhaps my issue is I'm not letting it rest long enough to reach the desired temp? How long do you typically let it rest? That could actually be the answer to my whole issue; is 180 the temp when I should actually be pulling it off to rest?

thirdeye
06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I cook on different pits, but I allow 16 hours for a butt in the 8 pound range, and I cook mine around 240* or so. Sometimes they will be done in 14. You could keep your method exactly the same, only at hour 12 or 13, double wrap the butt in foil (adding some apple juice before sealing) and move to a 250* oven. It should cook really tender in the next few hours.

toadhunter911
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Some people have had succes fighting the "STALL" by wrapping the butt in foil once it reaches 160-170. They say it reduces the time spent in the stall and quickens the cook time. My experiences vary, as I don't always wrap. Depends on what the bark looks like.

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
No, 180* is to low in most cases. Some butts, maybe? But on the average, no. You may be pulling it early at the 190*/195* mark. Try pushing a probe into the meat. If it goes in really smooth, like buddah, it's done. If there's still some resistance, it needs more time. Your temps should only be a guide, the meat will tell you when it's ready.

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
OK, wow. Y'all are moving too fast for me to keep up, apparently; 4 responses while I was typing that last one. :laugh: So I'm thinking correctly on my temps...I guess that's good, at least I'm not a complete noob. I do plan on calibrating my food thermos tonight, just to see if that's the issue, but like I said, based on feel, I don't think that's the case.

Ag76
06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
180 internal temp is too early to pull a pork butt in my opinion. I always take them to at least 200, and they are perfect. If the bone does not easily pull out, it is probably not done.

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
So more and more, it's looking like the problem is my air thermo. Wonder if I can find a good one locally here; I don't think River Country can get one to me overnight in time for my brisket tomorrow. :doh:

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I'd also look at your cooking temp thermo. At 250*/275*, they should be right around an hour a lb.

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Yep, that's what I'm gonna be shopping for this afternoon. Wish I didn't have to chaperone my kid's field trip in half an hour; I could really use the time today to go thermo hunting. I'll have an hour or two this afternoon...and I suppose I can always go looking tomorrow too. Thanks to everyone for your help; and if anyone knows of any retail chains that might sell good reliable thermos, please let me know!

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
So more and more, it's looking like the problem is my air thermo. Wonder if I can find a good one locally here; I don't think River Country can get one to me overnight in time for my brisket tomorrow. :doh:

Try Amazon:

Amazon.com: Maverick Industries ET-73 Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

This is what I use.

TTNuge
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Depending on where you are traveling for that field trip you should head to Quetopia in the Minnetonka area and talk to Tony. I believe he carries some Maverick ET-732's in his shop that would do the trick for you.

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Yep, that's what I'm gonna be shopping for this afternoon. Wish I didn't have to chaperone my kid's field trip in half an hour; I could really use the time today to go thermo hunting. I'll have an hour or two this afternoon...and I suppose I can always go looking tomorrow too. Thanks to everyone for your help; and if anyone knows of any retail chains that might sell good reliable thermos, please let me know!

Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond(would be my first choice).

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I've been looking at that one; actually, my big debate has been between the ET-73 and a River Country 101 w/ night glow. Problem is, I suddenly find myself in a situation where I need a reliable air thermo by tomorrow. Unless I wanna pay Amazon an extra $30 (and I do not), I don't see that happening. I know Bed Bath and Beyond tends to carry a lot of Maverick equipment (weird, but true); maybe I'll try there...

Subzerogriller
06-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Quetopia?? Why have I never heard of this place? I mean, other than the fact that it's clear on the other side of the metro (read: other side of the planet) from me...I won't be in that area today, but I could definitely head there tomorrow. Thanks!

CarolinaQue
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I can depend on Bed Bath & Beyond to carry their products. So, if you can't wait for the better price through Amazon, I'd go there first.

gtr
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Also - therms are great, but it's good to just hold your hand over the exhaust and feel the heat just get an idea of what certain temps feel like and eventually you'll just know if you're cooking at your desired temp even if you don't have a therm.

Team DD
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM

I am with these guys here on this...

Most of the time, I foil mine at 165, then cook till 195. My wife likes them better without the foil because of the less grease factor.

pork_butt
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Subzero, when I first started, I read somewhere to give yourself 1.5 hrs/lb + 2 hrs. for wiggle room. That would put your 8 pounder at 14 hrs.

I try to keep my smoker at 250*. I smoke my butts to at least 195*, but the best butt I made went to 204*.

Good luck, and remember "It's not done until it's done."