PDA

View Full Version : Would this kind of drum work for a UDS?

twinsfan
06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Instead of trying to fit a 17'' bottom to my ECB and installing a ball valve, I was thinking of buying a drum and building a UDS. Would these work?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/3038692756.html

Many thanks.

enasnidx
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
You're going to want an open head drum. Save yourself the trouble and get one with a removable lid.

El Ropo
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Most open head drums are going to have a dreaded liner.

If those drums truly held some sort of oil, they will be perfect, as they will be bare metal on the inside. Don't have to worry about a liner to remove. Just have to remove the top and find a donor 22.5" kettle lid. FYI, I removed the tops with a cold chisel and a hammer. Took about 3 minutes.

ClintHTX
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
If your looking to use the UDS with the flat lid. Try finding another. If you play on using a weber lid or similiar buy it and cut it off. Plain and simple.

Learnin Querve
06-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd have no qualms about using a drum that held new automotive lubes. As already mentioned, no liner to deal with, just smooth shiny steel on the inside. Wash it well, and burn it out.

If you're going to use a Weber lid, take it with you to do a test fit. And remember, sometimes the lids will fit better on the bottom of the drum better than the top.

Even if I didn't have a Weber/donor lid yet, I'd probably still grab one of those drums now if you're serious about building a UDS. Then start trolling Craigslist and watching the yard/garage sales for a donor kettle and grates.

Someone posted within the past few days a diagram of where to exactly to grind on a closed head drum to preserve the top to use as a lid.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134708

Good luck,

Chris

woodbutcher1
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I would jump on that in a hurry twinsfan. At least with a closed head drum, chances are a hell of lot better that a Weber dome lid will fit. It is easy to remove the lid. I used a hammer and a 3/4' wide cold chisel.
Oh, Ear plugs are recommended.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I used a reciprocating (Sawz-all) to cut my lid out! Fairly nice clean cut with a fine tooth blade, and yes, ear plugs are recommended for this method too! I LOVE my UDS.... the most efficient cooker I've got.

twinsfan
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I will try to jump on it! It's a good price.. the issue is it's 30-40 minutes away, but I'll try to convince parents to get up there.

It'd be my little secret project 8)