PDA

View Full Version : Brethren and Sisteren I have seen the light

cameraman
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
And I am hear to testify to the miraculous powers of the terracotta saucer. I saw a 16 incher at Lowes the other day and broke down and bought it for my WSM 22.5. Best investment ever. Wrapped it in foil, stuck it in the water bowl, wrapped that in foil, started my fire and went off to tackle a few honey do's. I was shooting for 250 but I got side tracked and when I got back the fire was close to 300. Shut the bottom vents down and had her to the right temp in under 20 min. From there on out it stayed there +/- 5 degrees for eight hours with one tweak towards the end. The next mod will be the nonex gasket kit from ebay that just came in the mail. I'll report on that after it's installed and used.

MarleyMan
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I agree, best move I ever made. I recently upgraded from a 18" WSM to the 22".

I was tired of cleaning up the water pan the next day after a cook (or even worse forgetting about it until a few days later).

It seems to recover quicker when opening the lid and hold temps better as well.

I will never go back to H20 in the pan :thumb:

NorCalQue
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I did that too, combined with sand. I need to ditch that sand. Yesterday I felt like David Carradine picking up the cauldron, molten hog fat splashing around.

For the younger brethren who missed out on Kung Fu, forward to 2:15:
kung fu - YouTube

telecomic
06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Do you have any pics about how yours fit? I may need to do some modding on my rigs, and would like some ideas, if possible.

- Ray

cameraman
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Do you have any pics about how yours fit? I may need to do some modding on my rigs, and would like some ideas, if possible.

Sorry, I didn't shoot pictures, but you don't need them. The 16" saucer sits on the bottom of the water pan with about 1/4" leeway around the edge. I used two sheets of heavy duty foil (get the big roll at at your price club -- you won't regret it) crossed over and covering the whole magilla. The water pan itself is also covered inside and out with two large sheets of hd foil. Then it's topped with two crossed sheets. Finally I lay a sheet over the top for quick disposal after the cook. If someone has a more resourceful way of doing it I'd love to know it.

K-Train
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
the saucer is the way to go. I also have the gaskets. They work pretty well, especially around the door.