PDA

View Full Version : Modding an ECB?

twinsfan
06-02-2012, 01:37 PM
After using if for eight months, I'm finally deciding to do some mods to my ECB. You can't do any night cooks unless you're pulling an all-nighter, lots of monitoring. I would appreciate any advice! :)

1. I need a bottom. As with any ECB, the bottom is empty, and air (and wind) plunges up there and the temp fluctuates. I'm looking at like installing a Smokey Joe bottom part which has air vents. Is there enough clearance under the Brinkmann? Anyone done this?

2. How do I knock the temp. gage out? I have an internal thermometer but I gotta lift the cover each time I wanna look. What's a cheap alternative to replace it with?

3. How would I install more grate holders? I often end up cooking lots of racks of ribs and I'd rather have 3 or 4 racks of space versus using a vertical rost/rib rack

4. And finally, where in the heck do I buy more grill grates? I've looked everywhere

Thanks very much

mbshop
06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
read this, i did most of the mods and it worked well enough.
yes, you can use a smokey joe. the ckearance between the lid and body is how it controls the temp. i just foil that closed as i did put a weber vent into the top.
as to grates, you should be able to find them wherever they sell the ecb's.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html