PDA

View Full Version : Butcher beef injection question

Smilin' Santa's BBQ
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I recently used some butcher bbq beef injection in some briskets, I personally don't think it did much more than injecting with au jus, but, people swear by it and are definitely winning with it. Maybe I did not cook them as week as others? Judy wondering what everyone elses opinions are on these brisket injections, are they really that much better, is it better with beef broth instead of water, or will au jus with some phosphates be just as good?
Title should read injection I got spellchecked and can't figure out how to change

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

MilitantSquatter
06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
are you looking for an answer from a competition perspective ?

Either way, I don't think there's a magic answer here.. some love it, some hate it, some win with it and many use water, beef broth or other combos. At the end of the day, if it's for competition, it matters what the judges like, not what you like.

The only way to know is to try it and see what gets you the results you are seeking.

(PS - I corrected spelling in your title)

Smilin' Santa's BBQ
06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I am still new to this, but yes, I was really wondering what guys were doing in comps for brisket injection, I do agree that it is what the judges like, not Me, I guess I was wondering if anyone else used it and went away from it, with success.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Butcher BBQ
06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
My first question would be what did or didn't you like about the finished product? Next what is your brisket like before using it? Then when can help with perfecting the injection for your style or flavor profile.

Jeffp
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I use it and have done well with it (if I cook the brisket correctly). The flavor is very consistent. Just try a few different ways of mixing it until you get one along the profile you are looking for.

Fourthwind
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
The butchers is good stuff, but I would be careful with it. Judges around here are getting tired of the heavy flavor of Butchers, Kosmos, and ect. I judged the the local Sam's club event here a month ago, and every judge at my table made comments about how they were tired of that heavy flavor profile and gave the best scores to the one's that actually tasted like beef. Color me shocked :shocked:

dmprantz
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
It really concerns me to hear of judges scoring down for "injecting." Judge it as presented or stop judging. Any judge heard saying otherwise should be banned.

Lippy
06-04-2012, 05:44 AM
It's really scary hearing that judges don't like the taste of beef. You can't tell me that you can taste Butchers or Kosmos injection. All they do is inhance the flavor of the meat.

Pigs on Fire
06-04-2012, 06:25 AM
The butchers is good stuff, but I would be careful with it. Judges around here are getting tired of the heavy flavor of Butchers, Kosmos, and ect. I judged the the local Sam's club event here a month ago, and every judge at my table made comments about how they were tired of that heavy flavor profile and gave the best scores to the one's that actually tasted like beef. Color me shocked :shocked:

Did they also explain why they've been giving "that heavy flavor" a pass (or 9's) for the past 2+ years????

This is like talking about crooked politicians. They didn't get into office by walking in. The voters put them there.

The judges are the ones who have accepted the heavy flavor for so long. Now they're tired of it?

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
06-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately, you are searching for that one perfect bite in comps. However, you still have to be careful of how much and what you put on your bbq meats. You still want to use things that compliment the meat, nothing real crazy. Butchers, Kosmos are good items to use, just be careful with any item to not overdo it and make it the predominant flavor the judges are tasting. Its a meat competition.

G$
06-04-2012, 08:58 AM
It's really scary hearing that judges don't like the taste of beef. You can't tell me that you can taste Butchers or Kosmos injection. All they do is inhance the flavor of the meat.

Allthough I agree with your larger point, and have said so in the past (specifically cautioning judges to NOT say things like "I did not like the injection they used") .... as a cook, I pretty well CAN taste Butchers/Kosmos/Fab etc. That is why I use it. IMO, and depending on how you mix it, it absolutely can be 'tasted' in more ways than simply 'enhancing the meat' (whatever that really means).

YMMV and all that.

zoogme
06-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Trust Dave! He knows

Capn Kev
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM

That wasn't just Butcher's they were tasting. If you use the recommended ratios on the bag, you probably won't be able to distinguish it other than the increased moisture content, and enhanced flavor profile (enhancing of the natural flavors). Most of us are adding beef au jus, and/or beef broth, seasonings, etc. ...and apparently, the judges in Canon City this past weekend didn't like it :cool:

Oh, and as a BEEF lover... I find it hard to believe that beef broth, and flavors associated with it, aren't considered tasting like BEEF! If you want bland dry beef brisket, and that's what you think "beef" should taste like, then go to Dickeys! :)

Fourthwind
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
It comes down to everything in moderation. Sorry if it ticks people off, but you can tell the difference between the two. I have judged and seen it myself. I got a comment card this last weekend as a competitor that the judge liked the slices and flavor of them, but the burnt ends got cold and "rubbery" I used a VERY diluted mix of butchers on the injection. I'm just saying. And as far as judges scoring down for injecting.. No they are not doing that. They are scoring down for that heavier flavor. Got the same comment from a master judge last weekend. He has seen this swing in taste this year at other contests. A lot of judges do the same contests every year in a region. Just imagin if you were getting the same thing year after year. wouldnt you want something different? Remember. dont shoot the messenger guys and gals. Were all just giving our opinions.

Capn Kev
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Mark,

If judges are suddenly changing their flavor profile expectations, then I guess I'm a bit surprised and taken aback. So, we as cooks are now just to change on a dime because a few judges are getting sick of brisket tasting like beef? :doh:

I'm not chewing you out for this issue, but I find it a bit funny actually.

I don't think I'll be changing my process too much. I just hope not to land on the table of rogue judges. :wink:

mobow
06-05-2012, 07:36 AM
This is the kind of thing that starts the cooks verses judges wars and what then ends up in the Bull Sheet that cooks hate judges. One guy on this forum gives HIS opinion and all judges get lumped into it. Cook your meat, if it is done well it will get a good score. Most of the Time.:wink:

ps. I like Butchers. As a judge and as a cook. keith

jcpetro97
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I just ordered some Butchers yesterday. Gonna try it on a brisket soon... I have had a brisket done with Butchers before, and I thought it tasted great.

Smilin' Santa's BBQ
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Guys, I really don't know if I came across wrong, I was really wondering if you can do just as well with au jus/ broth injection as you can butchers , kosmos, etc.
Buthcers has to be great stuff, it is too obvious that many, many teams are winning with it.... kinda wondering if I could concoct something at home that would turn out a great product as well! And, we all know, as with rubs, concocting something at home may be a great waste of time and money in the long run!

mobow
06-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Guys, I really don't know if I came across wrong, I was really wondering if you can do just as well with au jus/ broth injection as you can butchers , kosmos, etc.
Buthcers has to be great stuff, it is too obvious that many, many teams are winning with it.... kinda wondering if I could concoct something at home that would turn out a great product as well! And, we all know, as with rubs, concocting something at home may be a great waste of time and money in the long run!
You were just asking a question but it seemed to me that the discussion was drifting to a judge issue rather than just answering your question. My answer to your question is that Butchers is a good product and you can win with it. I like to mix it with water and apple juice. You can win with your own creations as well if it is a good mixture. Hope your question has been answered. keith