PDA

View Full Version : Minion method in a Weber Kettle...how many lit coals?

kevine
06-02-2012, 11:38 AM
So my wife is having a friend over with her kids. Decided to do a small pork butt since I heard that's her friend's favorite. However, since there's only three adults and four small kids, I picked up a small pork roast, about 3.5 lbs. I didn't want to set up the UDS for such a short cook, so I'm using one of my Kettles that I have set up for indirect. I used a half moon shaped piece of expanded metal and it keeps the coals to one side.

I'm going to do minion method of course, using K blue and some apple. However, since this is a lot smaller than a UDS and my charcoal basket, any thoughts on how many lit coals I should put in?

I want there to be enough to get the temp up to 225, but no too much otherwise, I suspect it will get a little too hot. Suggestions from the brethren will be much appreciated.

And for those that are thinking 3.5 pounds is not enough for three adults and four kids...I'm making some moinks to go with it, along with sides of course. Wouldn't want someone leaving my BBQ hungry!

bigabyte
06-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I had good results last weekend using six lit coals, the one touch blades closed to the smallest I could without them being closed off, a water pan under the meat, and I ran between 235 and 250 for four and a half hours.

bigabyte
06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Also, I only used up half of the fuel, so could have gone maybe 8 or 9 hours.

landarc
06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I use 8-10 lit briquettes to light off my kettle Minion fires.

kevine
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Also, I only used up half of the fuel, so could have gone maybe 8 or 9 hours.

Nice...thanks for the heads up. Six lit coals it is!

God I love this site!

bigabyte
06-02-2012, 12:01 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, I put all six lit coals on one end of the fuel, not spread about. That gave me better results than the time I spread them out.

Landarc is the resident expert at kettle smoking however. I've only done it twice, and sharing what I learned and how it performed.

dadsr4
06-02-2012, 12:20 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, I put all six lit coals on one end of the fuel, not spread about. That gave me better results than the time I spread them out.

Landarc is the resident expert at kettle smoking however. I've only done it twice, and sharing what I learned and how it performed.

This is truth on both statements. Also, if the roast is thicker at one end, I would put the coals on that end.

landarc
06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I also really try to catch the heat on the way up. Once you top 280F or so, you will fight the temps. I second putting all the coals on one side. I run my vents about 1/16th open at widest point.

I did a test once, found that 10 briquettes fully lit will heat kettle to 225F.

mbshop
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
i usually use a bunch of left over coals. or about 12 lit coals.

kevine
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
This is truth on both statements. Also, if the roast is thicker at one end, I would put the coals on that end.

Damn....wish I checked the thread before starting the cook. I put six lit coals on top. Kettle was topping 300 within an hour and a half. I had to take about half of the lit coals out. I'll keep this in mind the next time, as I do a lot of small cooks.

motoeric
06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
When you guys say that the vents should be 1/16th open, is that both top and bottom vents?

Eric

landarc
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Nope, top vents always wide open. Actually, three wide open, the fourth has a thermometer in it sometimes.

The bottom vents on a One-Touch system are tapered and I find, that if you keep them open literally just a crack, the temperatures are pretty easily managed. I use a coat hanger, stuffed into the vent, then close the handle until it hits the clothes hanger. I conduct most of my cooks in this manner. In the winter, temperatures get lower, or when it is raining, then I use a threaded rod, 1/4" diameter to set the bottom vent.

Churrasqueiro Bob
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I've used 5 or 6 lit coals on top of 50 unlit and had no problem holding temps for about 6 hours. I also make the fire to one side and I use two fire bricks as a diffuser.

BobM
06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I put a pile of charcoal in the kettle and light it with a high output propane torch.
I torch 2 or 3 different spots and allow it to come up to temp slowly.
My 22 1/2 OTG has good temperature control, never a problem.
Jim Minion at his best.

Bob

WhatsCookin
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow. That's really a clever tip. I kettle smoke exclusively, on an old school silver with three 3 independent vents. I always just eyeballed the gap on all 3. I'll be trying this next time for sure. Oh, and my first post as member. :)

BobM
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Whats and welcome aboard!

Bob

landarc
06-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the Brethren What'sCookin. When I had an old 3 vent model, I kept two of the bottom vents closed. I positioned the coal pile over the one I was going to keep open. I still used a coat hanger to set the opening gap.

kevine
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the input. After about 6.5 hours, it hit about 190 and my wife, her friend, and the kids were hungry. I pulled it early. I really didn't think a 3.5 pound butt would take that long. Oh well, it still came out excellent and my wife's friend couldn't stop nibbling on left over pork and my sauce...even her 8 y.o. daughter had three helpings of PP. That's all that counts for me.

landarc
06-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Glad it worked out and glad to hear how it went.

bigabyte
06-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Great to hear of the success!

Tatoosh
06-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Nice to see the different approaches and that it worked out. I want to try doing a butt later this week with my Smokenator.

I run my 22.5 OTG with the bottom vent about a pencil width open to start and adjust from there. I leave the top open but will close it up some based on what temperature rise or fall I see. I have a probe thermometer parked on the food grate. Fast rises I slow down at the lower vent, slow rise or fall I handle at the upper vent. Opening the top vent wide usually lowers temperatures for me (allowing dome heat to escape) and closing will allow dome heat to build up. I'm still playing with it to see how different settings work. I'm using local lump charcoal that burns fast and hot.

buccaneer
06-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Good stuff

gmanNJ
06-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I use a performer and the char baskets taken apart to segment the grill. I then sprinkle chips between the layers of coals. I lite 8 coals till they are good and hot and place them apart on the coal bed. This way chips are always touching lit coals and you get 8 mini coal beds so you can control the temps better- top vent wide open and bottom just cracked open. Since i usually cook for small crowd my butts are in the 4lb range. I usually dont need to refuel and get about 6-8 hours out of one charge.