PDA

View Full Version : Wowing The Judges with One Bite - Help!

Greg60525
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Brisket is my toughest category. I always hear that you must pack as much flavor into that one bite and it makes sense. Also, the brisket must taste like brisket. Here is where I'm thrown! Are the judges looking for that intense meaty flavor..........more than the natural flavor of the meat provides or do they want a bunch of rub and/or sauce enhanced flavor? Too me, it would seem that these things would mask the flavor of the meat. I cook with an all wood fire and I along with others, don't think the meat is over-smoked. I burn with a very clean hot burning small fire. But, what are the judges looking for...........minimal smoke flavor?

Another thing: I was watching BBQ Pitmasters and they were dinging the guy for not putting burnt ends into the box. They assumed that he had a cook problem and did not want to put something in the box that was not good. So, what should you do? The judges have to taste every thing in the box, so if the burnt ends are bad and you don't turn them in they can't ding you for it. But, can they assume you screwed up and ding you for that........is it better to turn them in, regardless?

Of course, I'm not asking for everyone's secrets, just a kick in the right direction.

Thanks,

Red Valley BBQ
06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I turn in the best entry possible. If I feel my burnt ends aren't good enough, they don't go in the box. The judging on BBQ Pitmasters opened up a can of worms when they made the comments about not having burnt ends. As a CBJ, every judges meeting I have attended the comment has been made to "judge what is in the box." People need to realize that just because 3 guys on tv said there needs to be ends in the box doesn't make it so.

Knowing both Tuffy and Myron, I can bet that if they didn't feel their burnt ends were good enough to help them win, they wouldn't put them in the box either. I will be sure to ask them when I see them at the end of June.

Podge
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Don't look at that TV show as a guide for how to cook a bbq contest. Having said that, it is my opinion, that if I was competing for $50,000 and on TV by gosh I better had cooked some great burnt ends and put it in the box with excellent brisket slices. These competitors on this series are held to the highest regard. (.. "these guys are some of the nations best!!.." ) They'd better have their S$%T together.

Pappy Q
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I turn in the best entry possible. If I feel my burnt ends aren't good enough, they don't go in the box. The judging on BBQ Pitmasters opened up a can of worms when they made the comments about not having burnt ends. As a CBJ, every judges meeting I have attended the comment has been made to "judge what is in the box." People need to realize that just because 3 guys on tv said there needs to be ends in the box doesn't make it so.

Knowing both Tuffy and Myron, I can bet that if they didn't feel their burnt ends were good enough to help them win, they wouldn't put them in the box either. I will be sure to ask them when I see them at the end of June.

I remember an episode in Season 1 where they showed Myron's brisket box and it had no burnt ends. I guess he screwed up his cook.

Lake Dogs
06-03-2012, 08:36 AM
^^^ +1 on the only put in your very best.

As to the first question, regarding basically a flavor profile for brisket, the answer is the same for each piece of meat. You've probably heard and read, it's a meat contest, not a sauce contest. Same for this. In this case, listen to what Tuffy & the boys said, because taste is subjective. The guy from GA overloaded to the beef flavor to the point where it tasted like the worst pot-roast... However, you definitely dont want it bland. I've had beef that in a bite or two there was almost no flavor at all except the smoke, and I've had beef that tasted like nothing but seasonings. There's a balance to be had. Also, if you use an injection, make darn sure that it goes well with the rub that you use.