PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg Comp July 13th and 14th.

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Is anyone doing the Gettysburg comp July 13 and 14?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I sent in my entry fee (maybe too early). I have sent many email asking questions with little or no response. Their web site has no information on it. total pay outs are $3250.00(ish). When I did speak with the organizers they were thinking of giving flags for awards but were not sure.

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
I actually just found this email from Dan that I forgot about. Here is the list.

21 Teams so far and I am gonna send mine in. I think Christmas City might be in too.

Chicken Chokers NJ KCBS (Pro)
Smokin’ Gnome BBQ PA KCBS (Pro)
Hawg Nation BBQ PA KCBS (Pro)
Flying Porkers PA KCBS (Pro)
Burnt Side Down NJ KCBS (Pro)
Tipsy Pigs WV KCBS (Pro)
Brown Liquor BBQ VA KCBS (Pro)
Degüello BBQ VA KCBS (Pro)
Fire & Spice PA KCBS (Pro)
UHOGG VA KCBS (Pro)
Free Range BBQ VA KCBS (Pro)
Smokin for Fun MD KCBS (Pro)
Wilbur’s Revenge PA KCBS (Pro)
Zigs Pig BBQ PA KCBS (Pro)
Just Smokin’ Around MDKCBS (Pro)
Sleeping Dog MD KCBS (Pro)
Hog-It-Up BBQ VA KCBS (Pro)
Diesel Smoke BBQ MD KCBS (Pro)
3 Eyez BBQ MD KCBS (Pro)
Jocko-Que MD KCBS (Pro)
Cancersuckschicago.com IL KCBS (Pro)

Tack
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Quite a field there. I may have to send an entry in.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Pretty sure we're gonna be there! Anyone know how many teams they're accepting? I actually got some correspondence from "Dan" at the Arts Council or somewhere.... I'll look for the files and if i can find 'em, i'll post them.

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
The email I got had a lot of empty slots for KCBS. I just emailed him, saying I am sending in my check in the morning. I asked for a list update. I will post when I get something back. Bone to bark, Hope to see you there.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, that didn't take long...... 65521

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
I asked Dan when I emailed him about us being in, if the prize money would go up if more people entered. We will see. I think there are some teams holding out. I feel if more people enter the KCBS, the prize money should go up.

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got an email from Dan. They are looking for 50 teams. Prize purse may not go up but he is looking into it. I told him to join the Brethren so he can keep teams updated. He said he was gonna send an update to teams this weekend. He had confirmation from some other teams and is just waiting for the paperwork. If it hit's 50 teams, it may go up. Keep your fingers crossed.

HawgNationBBQ
05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
We are in.

walrus79
05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Brown Liquor BBQ is in. We won our entry into this comp at the MABA annual meeting. Awards ceremonly at 6:45? Ugh! Oh well, we'll be there with brown!

zombie barbecue2
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Hawg Nation, looking forward to seeing you guys again. Brown, that sucks about the late awards. might need to get a room for the night. We will have some brown liquor as well. Lets get together and have a drink!!!!

Chipper
06-01-2012, 05:53 AM
I sent in our application yesterday. We will also be staying over for the ICS chili competition as well.

Zig
06-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Zigs Pig BBQ will be there.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Well, that didn't take long...... 65521

thanks, I emailed for this a while back, maybe I need to check my spam.

chickenchoker
06-01-2012, 08:10 AM
wow. there are alot of categories I was not aware of. Crazy how the BBQ and Backyard events are a few hours apart. awards at 6:45.... ouch. looking forward to this one. we are doing the RI balloon festival the weekend after too

K-Train
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Can't seem to figure out how to register or find an application online. Help

Zig
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM
here is the link.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/acac/documents/Competitors%20Registration.pdf

Gettysburg Cook-off
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Pasted below is this past weekends update emailed to current registered teams. Please let me know if you have any questions.

We will be sending out the next update sometime over this next weekend. We will let all know any information related to questions received by then. It was pointed out that we have conflicting times for the people's choice and KCBS turn in times. THAT WILL BE CHANGED for this weekend's update. [sorry we tried to avoid that, but we still missed it in the proofing].

Here is the email text:

Hello all:

On behalf of everyone associated with the organizing The Gettysburg Cook-off – North vs. South, welcome to the new battle and thank you for your interest, advice, assistance, and patience as we work our way through our inaugural event. Our community has really embraced the event and we truly expect a great time for all.

As we are roughly 45 days from smokin’ the battlefield, I wanted to send out this update. It is my intent to send out a weekly update to you through the event and also sending a Competitor’s Guide for your “travel use” as well. If at any point, you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns please contact me directly and I will address the item and include it in the next update to all teams. My cell number is 717.479.0512, but I would suggest using email as I will be able to reply almost immediately as compared to returning a call if I am not able to take the call.

The following information is prepared for you focusing mainly the BBQ Skirmish. If you would like similar details for any of the other events (Wing Siege, Chili Conflict, Grilled Cheese Ambush, and Powder Keg Bake-off), please let me know. Also, PLEASE forward this email to your BBQ brethren and fellow teams.

So here is the latest . . .

Competing Teams: We have 50 team slots available and we have roughly half of the field open. There are a handful of teams that have expressed interest, but have not yet submitted the paperwork. As of today, here is “officially” registered:

KCBS (Pro): Chicken Chokers (NJ), Smokin’ Gnome BBQ (PA), Hawg Nation BBQ (PA), Flying Porkers (PA), Burnt Side Down (NJ), Tipsy Pigs (WV), Brown Liquor BBQ (VA), Degüello BBQ (VA), Fire & Spice (PA), UHOGG (VA), Free Range BBQ (VA), Smokin for Fun (MD), Wilbur’s Revenge (PA), Zigs Pig BBQ (PA), Just Smokin’ Around (MD), Sleeping Dog (MD), Hog-It-Up BBQ (VA), Diesel Smoke BBQ (MD), 3 Eyez BBQ (MD), Jocko-Que (MD), Cancersuckschicago.com (IL), Flavor of Rub BBQ Crew (NJ), Pig Pen BBQ (NJ), Red Lion Spicy Foods (PA)

Backyarder: Green Eyed Monsters (PA)

Hotels: The Wyndham in the Gateway Gettysburg Complex is our hosting sponsor and has blocked off rooms at a special “cook-off” rate. As of last week, roughly 13 rooms in the original block were still available.

Other facilities within a stone’s throw of the event include Sleep-Inn, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, Econo Lodge, and Marriot. There are several other chains and local inn throughout the area if traveling a mile or two is not an issue. Please visit http://www.gettysburg.travel/visitor/stay.asp (http://www.gettysburg.travel/visitor/stay.asp) for a complete listing.

Judges: We have 100% KCBS CBJ confirmed for the event. The judges hail from 20 different states and Ontario, Canada. We are also hosting a KCBS CBJ Class on July 12th at our education center on South Washington Street. Also, we will be hosting the first International Chili Society Certified Chili Judge Training at the event on Saturday at the Gateway Theatre facility.

EMS and Security: In order to avoid having a medical team being tapped and leaving site, we have hired a special event EMT Service to be on-site all day on Saturday and Sunday. For Friday and Saturday night, we will be using 911—the local response unit is located less than 3 minutes from the event site. The Adams County Corrections Officers Union will be provided 24 hr/day security coverage throughout the event starting on Friday afternoon. In both areas, the local hospital and sheriff’s department is aware of our event and will more than likely be stopping in when available.

Electric: Local electrical contractor, L&H Electrical will be setting up power to all sites through the use of three generating stations. This group has set-up similar set-ups at this location for the local chamber’s annual wine festival. Please bring extension cords as per your typical need.

Originally, he intended to provide the service as he had for the chamber (at cost for labor), but unbeknown to him, the contact that provided the generators at no cost left the company since last September. This is resulting in a rental fee for the generators. Our event committee opted not to create a charge for electricity, but if a team is willing to offer a good will offering to help offset the cost it will help us keep the registration fee low for future events.

Team Areas: Standard team areas are 25’ x 40’.

Port-a-potties: Teams will have “team only” facilities near team areas.

Arrival: We will have people on site starting noon on Friday to greet teams as they arrive. At this time, you will be able to set-up in your assigned area. Arrangements can be made for a Thursday evening arrival, but teams will not be able to set-up until Friday noon (perhaps earlier). Send an email to [email protected] ([email protected]) to confirm a Thursday arrival need.

Explanation: the “battlefield” is a working hotel/entertainment complex; our event (for the first) year has been granted only Friday to set-up as not to disrupt normal operations. Our event sponsor, CenturyLink, is sending a work party of 15 or so in for 8am on Friday morning to set things up. The first thing they will do is to “grass paint” the team areas. We anticipate this being done by 10am, but are setting noon as the set-up time for teams just in case. Once the team areas are finished, teams will be more than welcomed to “move-in”.

ACTION NEEDED: If you consider your team set-up is a “big rig” or will include an RV, please confirm such to Dan Zalewski ([email protected] ([email protected])) prior to July 1st. This information is needed to make sure that your team is placed in an area that is easy in/easy out both crowd and traffic flow wise. Furthermore, team areas that are going to be vacant at the end of Saturday will be turned into Chili Team Areas for Sunday’s events.

Water, Ice: Water will be available at two (trying for three) water buffalos set-up near teams lines. There is one single water hook-up at the movie complex, but the distance to is not desirable if carrying large amounts of water. There will be an Ice Chest on site for the weekend and restocked on Saturday late afternoon for Sunday. This chest will carry 40 lb. bags. This ice is available for team purchase at $7.50 a bag or two for $12.

Competition Supplies and Meat: Food and prep supplies are being offered to all competing teams through “Kennie’s Quartermaster” from local supermarket Kennie’s Community Market. All pricing is set at 5% above cost (wholesale).

ACTION NEEDED: If your team would like to “get a quote”, simply send a specific breakdown of what you team will need for the weekend. We will confirm the price for your team and reply to you. If the price is accepted by the team, your order will be prepared and delivered to your team site for Friday at a confirmed time.

Butchers: if your team would prefer meat cuts from a butcher rather than a supermarket, please notify us of such as a part of your breakdown and we will confirm pricing for you with one of our participating vendors (Sensing). We will send you the pricing as well as contacts for three other local butchers. If you accept the vendor quote, your meat will be delivered to you on Friday as well. Arrangements with other butchers are up to the team.

Friday Night/Anything Butt: We have added an Anything Butt contest for Friday night as a part of a welcome night for teams, judges, sponsors, and local dignitaries. Info sheet attached. Besides the Anything Butt, we will be hosting a Pig Roast and picnic for all with special “Gettysburg flavored” visitors/entertainment.

Prize Monies: Being a first time event, our committee was shy to establish/guarantee a huge prize purse. At the same time, despite having room for 50 teams, we anticipated a dozen or so teams. To date, we have surpassed that number of teams (happily) and continue to promote in hopes of filling all 50 slots. Although there is no guarantee, our committee will be evaluating budget and consider a potential bump up in the prize monies. This decision will not be able to be confirmed no earlier than the week before the event as we see how the pre-event tickets sell.

There will be trophies and banner flags awarded as well.

Schedule: Attached you will find the intended schedule for the weekend. Any concerns with this timeline, please let us know. We will consider this schedule “in stone” into 2 weeks out, BUT will do not foresee any changes unless there is a ground swell of concern from competing teams.

Breakfast: Breakfast for all teams will be provided by “Little Everett’s BBQ” at no charge on Saturday morning. (Little Everett will not be competing.)

Wing Siege: Although not a KCBS sanctioned event, all teams are asked to consider competing in the Wing Siege held following the KCBS turn-in times and prior to the awards ceremonies. Check out the rules sheet attached.

Departure and Sunday Competing: Teams will be permitted to leave Saturday if so desired or necessary. Teams that are competing on Sunday will not be expected to move, downsize or anything along those lines for the next day’s activities.

ACTION NEEDED: If your team intends to leave on Saturday evening, please also confirm such with Dan with a targeted timeframe.

People’s Choice Awards and Sampling: All teams are asked to participate in a People’s Choice (sampling) Award in addition to the traditional events. Several local well established, very popular events have established this tradition which has really created a great buzz and healthy event. The People’s Choice program would take place after the KCBS turn-in times up through the Wing Siege event (also has People’s Choice).

A sample consists of 2oz cups (provided to teams) of a “smidgen” of any meat or sauce to participants holding a voting ticket. Visitors walk throughout the battlefield sampling from the participating teams. At the end of their sampling, they will vote at the main tent area by dropping their ticket in the respective teams jar. This is a general “all-in” event based on best overall taste of sauce or seasoning not a specific meat.

It is anticipated that most teams will have a variety of meat not submitted for KCBS judging and that can be prepared into 2oz or less samples. If your team does not feel that there will be ample “leftovers”, please notify Dan Zalewski to discuss other options. Teams are not obligated to participate in the People’s Choice, but highly encouraged to do so.

Health Department: As per Pennsylvania law, our event is not required to hold a special event permit as it is less than 72 hours for public attendance. Furthermore, health department officials will not be conducting any type of inspections throughout as some states do. However, the event will have PA Certified “Serve Safe” individuals on site to help any team avoid a potentially contamination in their set-up.

Shirt Sizes: Each team will be receiving two event shirts from our merchandising committee at no charge. Additional shirts will be available for $10 each. As with our civil war venue, the shirts will be either blue or gray based on your home states position in the historical battle.

ACTION NEEDED: please forward to Dan Zalewski ([email protected] ([email protected])) a shirt order with both traditional adult sizes (up to XXXL).

Welcome Bags: Welcome Bags will be given to each team at arrival. This bag is being developed for those teams and judges that plan on visiting (staying) in the area for a few days around the event. Local merchants have provided some discount coupons just for team members and judges.

Entertainment: Here is our music line-up for the weekend.

Saturday 12-3pm—Charm City Limits from Baltimore—Blue Grass
3-6pm—Amy Banks from Lancaster—Jazz/Blues
6pm-7:30pm—Nashville’s Show Dog Record’s, Jessie James followed by country
rock band through 10pm.

Sunday 12-2pm—SavageFunk from Reading—Oldies
2-6pm—Joyryde from Hanover—Classic Rock.

Event website: Many of you heard that our event website would be live soon, in a week, shortly, etc. We are truly sorry on this continual talk, but no walk. Between ACAC’s redesign for our organizational website, pro bono services of the creation of our event website, legalities concerning domain ownership, a server crash/replacement, etc. This very valuable informational tool is still being worked out. Until it is up, we will continue to do weekly updates via email.

In hopes of avoiding future issues related to such, we have ordered a smart phone app for the event which our committee is setting up and will maintain directly throughout. We will announce when it is ready.

Bike Week: This event is taking place during the annual Gettysburg Bike Week. The Bike Week is a well visited event averaging roughly 20,000 visitors over the four day period. Our event is located approximately 500 yards away from the local Harley dealership. With this being said, we do expect biker patrons, BUT all main biker events—that may not be family friendly to some—are located at two venues literally “all the way across town”. Both our committee and their committee are working together to cross promote, but we both do not see any potential issues if you wish to bring your families/children.

Thank you again for your participation!
Dan

Cue's Your Daddy
06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Been on the fence about signing up for this, but after reading that sounds pretty cool. Have to see what wife wants to do. Same weekend as troy, ny contest, but love gettysburg. Might come down.

Gettysburg Cook-off
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Just had a few more teams enter and call to say the paperwork is on the way. Thanks for spreading the word for us. We still have plenty of room up, so please continue to pass the info around.

Capt ron
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Susquehanna Blue Smoke will be in the mix!!! Can't wait to see everyone!!!

Cue's Your Daddy
06-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Anyone have an email address for Dan. I tried [email protected] ([email protected]) and it got rejected for a full mail box. Does anyone have info on the grill cheese contest. How it is being done and what each category with in grill cheese is? ANy new info that hasnt been posted on the brethren would be appreciated. I assume they are still taking applications?

zombie barbecue2
06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
looks like the same one I've been using.

Dan Zalewski <[email protected]>

Capt ron
06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey everyone sorry for the double post... No delete post button that I could find:evil: but again if you need to get hold of Dan Zalewski at the Gettysburg Comp here is his e-mail that he asked me to pass it on: Dan Zalewski ([email protected]) . They have been having problem with the other email.
Capt Ron

Capt ron
06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
If you need to get hold of Dan Zalewski at the Gettysburg Comp here is his e-mail that he asked me to pass it on: Dan Zalewski ([email protected]) They have been having problem with the other email.
Capt Ron

Drh7003
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I applied to judge and got no return either accepted or denied...anyone else?

Drh7003
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Dan emailed me, so I am good...hope more teams register so I get in for Saturday...

Disconnect
06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
We'll be entering as soon as the next paycheck comes in :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Dan emailed me, so I am good...hope more teams register so I get in for Saturday...
We just sent our entry in yesterday..... Judge ours good :biggrin1:

smokinturtle
06-25-2012, 07:55 PM
just talked to dan smokin turtle bbq is in