PDA

View Full Version : Question on Resting Meat

palehorse
05-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Howdy brethren

June 16th I have a comp that I am getting prepared for. Saturday, we're going to do a test run, just to finalize and familiarize the team with the in's and out's of a full day of BBQ. Each member is bringing some comp meats to help offset my expense.

My question is this...is a pre/heat rest with rubs/marinade crucial for this test run? How much of a difference will it make? This run is more for teaching box prep/ cutting/ presentation/ and cook times. But I'd have to walk in on the 16th and finding out I need 3-6 hours of resting with a rub and not being prepared for that sort of thing.

What are all your thoughts? Your experience is greatly appreciated.

Wampus
05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about rubbing, then letting the meat sit with rub on it before the cook?

You'll get different answers here. At home I rub and put it on the cooker.
At comps, we rub well ahead of time and let the meats "marinate" in the rub and reapply as needed before putting on the pit. Many rub the night before at home, many don't.

If you're just wanting to practice boxing and slicing then this pobably won't affect practice either way. If you want to account for it, just allow for that extra on your comp timeline. Unless you're wanting to see EXACTLY what your meats will taste like at turn in time, don't worry about it. Personally.....I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make anyway, but like I said....we do it.

palehorse
05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Yep, that's it precisely. Rub...rest/marinade/cook.

So essentially, it won't necessarily affect the 'cook', just the 'taste'....correct?