PDA

View Full Version : Itemized questions about little racing pig!

Coldholler
05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
This Saturday's my cook -- I'm grateful for all the help. Never cooked a piglet before...

I'm going to have the smoker to 250d at 8:30am.
I'll put the butts on then.
I think, if it truly weighs in at 25 pounds or less, I'll put the pig on around 10.
The little pig will be racer style. Any basic suggestions on prep? I was going to rub the cavity and the skin with lots of salt and pepper. I've read here somewhere that racer style pigs will overcook on the bottom and that foiling underneath can help with that. Other than sticking an apple in piggy's mouth and a thermometer in his shoulder or ham, what else do I need to know?
Butts will cook about 8 hours and the pig could cook as long as I want up to 6 hours or until I take it off to rest. Is 250 ideal for a lean little pig, or could I get away with hotter? If it shows up 35-40 pounds (the farmer underestimated last time...) I'm putting it on at 8:30 and 275...

Grateful for advice from those who have done it before!

BigBlock
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I think you would be happier with a butterflied pig unless you are doing that way because of the space on your cooker but either way at 275 1 hour per 10 lbs and crank it up the last hour, make sure to rub the skin down with oil and salt. What are you cooking on wood charcoal or gas?

Coldholler
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm cooking with oak in an offset firebox, but I have a gas burner well beneath the cooking surface (16 inches) and beneath a thick steel plate that instantly gets things up to temp and maintains a very steady heat. The firebox puts as much smoke on the meat as possible and accounts for 150-175 degrees of cooking chamber heat, so I'm barely running gas.

I've gone with the hour/10 pounds things with bigger pigs, but for a 20-25 pound pig, it seems as if I need to cook it for at least as long as I would ribs (4-5 hours). Thoughts?

I totally agree with butterflying pigs. I'm trying out the racer style just to say I've done it and for presentation. Figure it's easier with this little'un and there's less at stake. I'll have the butts, and if it isn't perfect then I'll present it, and then chop it (ugh) but toss the meat with the pulled butts as a plan B. So I'm open for suggestions about the nuances of racer style pigs. This might be my first and last...

BigBlock
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM
just check the temps in the hams and shoulders about three hours in everybody says 170 but I like at least 180 and just go till you hit your temp am sure you will have some good smoke floating around them mountains