PDA

View Full Version : So my wife asks......

slowrollin
05-26-2012, 09:26 PM
As I'm grillin a couple chops on the mini the wife asks "Why do guys like grilling so much?" My response " We drink beer and get to be outside! Plus ummmm I don't know its in our dna!" So ask my bretheren.... What do you like about it?

I cant stop smoking.

superlazy
05-26-2012, 09:31 PM
I smoke the wife grills:biggrin1:

Seriously She wont let me touch the gasser

MarleyMan
05-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Well, what you said of course.....

But also the enjoyment of folks trying your que, to me it is relaxing (well prep can suck sometimes) and the compliments & just hanging out relaxing in the backyard with friends and a few beers while smelling the cooker is heavenly to me.

Plus, it sure as hell does taste good too:mrgreen:

CPMatthew
05-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, what you said of course.....
But also the enjoyment of folks trying your que, to me it is relaxing (well prep can suck sometimes) and the compliments & just hanging out relaxing in the backyard with friends and a few beers while smelling the cooker is heavenly to me.

I have a few friends at work who like to 'que as well. We like to get together and smoke and have some laughs and few (or more) beers. Can't do that with a gasser.

Mdboatbum
05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Sitting outside tending a fire and hanging out with friends. It's primal. It harkens back to our roots when the tending of the fires and the social groups were necessary for survival. So, just tell her your life depends on it.

joegiggles
05-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I had an old friend over for some ribs, bacon wrapped popers, and a pepper and onion stuffed fattie. As he came into the back yard he said " Damn that smells good...I think you got the entire neighborhood hungry!" No hello, no whats up...Smoke puts everyone in a good mood!

el_matt
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
^^^What they said!!

Also, I enjoy the process. Prep can suck, sometimes, as MarleyMan so eloquently stated:razz:! I think I'm trying to say that yes, pulling membranes, removing silver skin, trimming to St. Louis style, making ABT's or a bacon weave, etc. can be tedious, it's still fun. Sometimes it's fun for no other reason than you're the only one in your family/circle that knows what they're doing.

It's cleaning your cooker. It's getting your cooker ready. It's keeping your cooker at temp. It's knowing when to or when not to foil/flip/spritz/mop/inject/brine/rub. It's making your own rub or sauce. It's drinking beer. It's playing with fire. It's listening to good music. It's it's the smells, the sights, and the sounds.

It's manly. There's actually testosterone in wood smoke(a lot of people don't know that). All of that is multiplied if you raised or harvested the meat yourself. It's having a stack of charcoal, or 2 yards of splits. It's about the cookers, and showing them
off. It's about knowing the right technique.

It's about making the best BBQ that you or your family or friends have ever had!

Matt

(Cowgirl, RedHot, Tish, there really isn't testosterone in smoke, I was only kidding. I want to include all the Sistern in this P.S., but you three are the only ones I know for sure are of the Sistern persuasion!)

Pyle's BBQ
05-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Fire. That is all.

Boshizzle
05-26-2012, 10:29 PM
It's primal. Think about it. The first meat cooked in the history of the world was cooked over an open flame. It was many centuries later that anyone thought of the concept of a kitchen.

Tom Hanks in "Castaway" exclaimed "I have made fire!" That pretty much sums it up. :laugh:

marubozo
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Fire, being outside, drinking beer, etc. Those are the obvious ones, and they are great reasons to put meat over fire. But for me, it's the joy of making other people happy, and I do this through cooking (whether it's BBQ or otherwise). I just love helping people have a great time through food. When someone tells you after a meal that it was the best thing they've ever eaten, or they bring up a meal you cooked a year ago, there's just nothing more rewarding than that.

slowrollin
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
^^^What they said!!

Also, I enjoy the process. Prep can suck, sometimes, as MarleyMan so eloquently stated:razz:! I think I'm trying to say that yes, pulling membranes, removing silver skin, trimming to St. Louis style, making ABT's or a bacon weave, etc. can be tedious, it's still fun. Sometimes it's fun for no other reason than you're the only one in your family/circle that knows what they're doing.

It's cleaning your cooker. It's getting your cooker ready. It's keeping your cooker at temp. It's knowing when to or when not to foil/flip/spritz/mop/inject/brine/rub. It's making your own rub or sauce. It's drinking beer. It's playing with fire. It's listening to good music. It's it's the smells, the sights, and the sounds.

It's manly. There's actually testosterone in wood smoke(a lot of people don't know that). All of that is multiplied if you raised or harvested the meat yourself. It's having a stack of charcoal, or 2 yards of splits. It's about the cookers, and showing them
off. It's about knowing the right technique.

It's about making the best BBQ that you or your family or friends have ever had!

Matt

(Cowgirl, RedHot, Tish, there really isn't testosterone in smoke, I was only kidding. I want to include all the Sistern in this P.S., but you three are the only ones I know for sure are of the Sistern persuasion!)

Wow! Sums it up! Well done Matt!

I cant stop smoking.

El Ropo
05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
My simple response is "The result is much better than you would expect to taste from the most popular restaurants in the country".

Don't think I'm too far off on that either.

Enjoying the company of all your best friends/family, and tasting some of the best food in the universe... What else is there?

Every cook is a work of art. Someone is putting in the hard work and experience to make the perfect backyard BBQ! Gotta respect and enjoy it.

Tasting a great hunk of BBQ meat plus sides is like a revelation to me. It's never forgotten, unlike the drek that people eat at fast food joints. Those folks who eat the drek have forgotten about last night's meal at the "super fast burger joint" by the next morning.

They don't wake up a week later and say to themselves "Man! I wish I could have another one of those flavorless high sodium meals from wendymcdsburgerwhopsonic down the street.

I hope they don't anyways. :hand::boxing::shocked::twitch:

silverfinger
05-26-2012, 11:00 PM
As I'm grillin a couple chops on the mini the wife asks "Why do guys like grilling so much?" My response " We drink beer and get to be outside! Plus ummmm I don't know its in our dna!" So ask my bretheren.... What do you like about it?

I cant stop smoking.

The food!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

MarleyMan
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Agreed, other foods I cook I can enjoy the prep (chopping veggies, making rubs/sauces etc..) much more. Making ABT's can be a PITA some days, BUT knowing how GOOD they are makes it worth it in the end.

I love to see a virgin to ABT's have their first one. It reminds me of the experience of tasting my first ABT's with friends. Everyone going "WOW!" while you are grinning not only from the deliciousness in your mouth but the fact that you made these delectable morsels of goodness that everyone is experiencing with you for the first time.

I also enjoy if I am doing prep and someone asks "What are you doing or why do you do this that way? Why are you slathering mustard all over that meat?" Then it opens up the dialogue for you to get to "talk shop" and teach someone something about cooking that is not only interested in the good food, but the "how and why" of what you do. Of course I don't give away all my "secrets" but enough to give them a base to run on.

And who knows, maybe that friend or guest may decide they want to do this too..... and so the circle of life and barbecue continues just like this place :thumb:

Oldyote
05-27-2012, 12:09 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZRC2_gjCnNI/ToHdqTZQrKI/AAAAAAAAARg/o63NPmRxNUY/s1600/beavis-fire.gif

Fire

cameraman
05-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I enjoy cooking and I like smoked food. I can drink and be outside at a baseball game.

pitbossJB
05-27-2012, 12:17 AM
There is nothing better than well smoked meat that is eaten at the right moment after a good rest, it is rare to get that at a restaurant. To achieve that is what it is all about.

MarleyMan
05-27-2012, 12:20 AM
There is nothing better than well smoked meat that is eaten at the right moment after a good rest, it is rare to get that at a restaurant. To achieve that is what it is all about.

:clap2: :thumb:

Subzerogriller
05-27-2012, 01:16 AM
I know I'm repeating a lot of what's been said here already...but for me, I just love the entire experience. Take a perfect, sunny day. Add the ability to sit outside with a cooler full of beer, tending to a fire, having the ballgame on the radio. Maybe get a little yard work done or play some whiffle ball out back with the kid. That little tingle you feel when you try a new rub or sauce recipe and it comes out perfect, and the pride you feel after turning a tough hunk of meat into something that practically melts in your mouth. The opportunity to hang out and break bread with friends/family/neighbors (I love all kinds of cooking, but nothing brings people together like BBQ). And of course, the feeling you get when your guests take that first bite and give you the look....you know, that look. We've all seen it: wide eyed, jaw dropped and making that "O" face...that look that tells you that what you've made is truly appreciated. And call me crazy, but I absolutely love the smell of smoke that lingers on your clothes, in your hair...my wife hates it, but that smell always brings one last smile to my face when I'm getting ready for bed.

I'm reading this back to myself, and thinking I may have an unhealthy relationship with my BBQ...

BDAABAT
05-27-2012, 01:33 AM
For me, it's really about the entire thing...the whole process. Q has been a journey for me. i used to be that guy that made brisket in the slow cooker and a bottle of Kraft sauce and thought it was good. I now know better and want to continue to do better. Same thing with pulled pork. I now know better and want to continue to improve. And, I love seeing the reaction that others have when they taste my food. When they hear brisket or pulled pork, they have something in mind...they have an expectation. I love seeing that new discovery when they taste my food....that, "You made this?", moment. Love seeing happy ssurprised people chowing down.

Bruce

NorthwestBBQ
05-27-2012, 01:53 AM
I like it because it's funky.

Phillstone
05-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Gives me a dang good reason to Multitask, cook dinner, play guitar and watch the grass grow. If your meat aint got a a 1/4-3/8" smoke ring you done did it wrong!
Doing up a 9lb boston butt over nite as we speak- pron to follow!