PDA

View Full Version : How to Restore Weber Kettle?

KSims1868
05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Okay - I happened upon an old 22.5" Weber Kettle yesterday afternoon. Picked it up for $20. Cooked a nice set of juicy thick ribeye steaks last night on it just to prove to the wife it is a worthy project...haha!!

But this thing is old...and ugly (well I think it's a thing of beauty due to it's cook-ability, but she doesn't agree).

Seriously though - the handles are gone (wood broken off but mounting parts all still intact)
There's some kind of over-spray or weird fading/spotting all over the black paint/coating. I haven't tried to clean it yet...any suggestions?

It needs new wire racks - they're rusted up.
And the ash catcher is missing, as is the triangle that connects the legs.

I'm know replacement parts are available, so I'll buy the handles (can I still get wooden handles), ash catcher, and new racks. But what about the actual kettle itself?

The bolts for the vent system on bottom are rusted and brittle, so I'll grind those out and replace with new bolts after I've cleaned up the vents - the all look in salvagable condition.

Has anyone painted a kettle?
What paint did you use?

Pappy
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a lot of money for one that bad off. Lots of parts missing. :shocked:

redvert05
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
You can get a leg kit from Weber or you may be able to by just the lower wire rack. You will not be able to by new wood handles....they will sell you the new style grey plastic ones. You may try to use some paint remover for the overspray on the Kettle. It should not harm the porcelain whatsoever. Or worse case do a wet sanding of it to get the base finish even before painting.

I have painted Kettles with High Temp Engine paint. BUT, if you paint the lower bowl and bank the coals to the side in an offset/indirect cook, you will burn the paint off the bowl. Lid painting will be no problem, as the temps are not that high in the lid to burn the paint off.

Have fun with it. Its not about the initial cost of the kettle or what the cost of the replacement parts are, its about being able to bring something from the grave and make it a great cooker!!! :thumb:

Before and after pics for us are a must!! We live for that chit!! :loco:

KSims1868
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't think it will need to be painted. It seems still have a smooth finish...just needs some rubbing/polishing from what I'm reading.

And I know...$20 was steep, but it was an impulse buy.
I saw a dang near brand new one this morning on Craigslist for $30 with a cover. I emailed him just in case because I might as well have a new one also.

What's the deal with the 3-daisy vents vs. the new style? What's so special about the 3-daisy things that makes people want them?

I'm very experienced with my UDS for smoking, and I grill over charcoal at friend's houses all the time. I'll be using this Weber mainly for steaks, burgers, fajitas, etc... and prob leave the smoke sessions to the UDS.

fingerlickin'
05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
You can get Marty Leach to make you new wooden handles.

redvert05
05-25-2012, 07:00 PM
What's the deal with the 3-daisy vents vs. the new style? What's so special about the 3-daisy things that makes people want them?

The three vent's were the prior system to the One-touch that they sell now. Do this, on the top vent on the cover, see if there is a Letter or Two Letters stamped in the Al Vent. If there is that is the date code. If there is no letter then its a "no date code" kettle and that means that it is a pre 1979 model. Let us know what you find and we will be able to date it for you.

Oh, and don't under estimate a Kettle as a smoker. That is what I use primarily for smoking and its a quick and simple setup to use and turns our killer food!

bbqfred
05-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm all for restoring things, just make sure you don't overspend. New weber kettles can be had for $99 normally, and i think even cheaper at the end of the summer when they start close out deals.

jimithing78
05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm all for restoring things, just make sure you don't overspend. New weber kettles can be had for $99 normally, and i think even cheaper at the end of the summer when they start close out deals.

Yup. I've fixed up many old Webers. Don't go too crazy making them look nice. They cook just great even when they're still ugly.

Now, down to business. Buying directly from Weber is probably going to be your best bet. A lot of the items you won't be able to find locally. They have free shipping until 5/31 if you use the code MAYBBQ2012 at checkout. If there's something you need that you don't see on the website just call them - they'll take the code over the phone too. If you're going to get a new grate I suggest you get a stainless steel grate from Weber directly. I've never seen them in stores except when they come with new Performers. If you plan on grilling a lot a stainless grate is the way to go.

Weber doesn't sell wooden handles anymore. They'll sell you a plastic one for cheap and it'll fit just fine. If you want to retain the vintage look there are some members on here that make VERY nice wooden handles. They can make you one that looks original or anything you want really.

schlickenmeyer
05-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I just rebuilt mine, the bottom vent kit ran me about 15 ish. Have not gotten the handles yet, but will have to soon. The local hdwe store had the SS grate with the flip-up sides for adding coals. Did a prime rib on it before I got my offset and the addiction took full hold. I cold smoke on it as well with the CSG. Love that old thing.