PDA

View Full Version : I Got a Big 'un!!

kcquer
09-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Some mountains you have to climb just because they're there.

Went to Wally Super tonight to get something to Q up overnight for game food tomorrow. Started looking thru the briskets and came across this beauty on the bottom of the pile!!
May not be done until Monday Night Football but I said, "What the fark!!" Couldn't pass it up! Rubbed it up, just got loaded in the Fast Eddy. Now I'm gonna get some sleep, and see what it looks like in the morning :D

Bummer, if we hadn't been hacked, you'd see a picture of a HUGE brisket that stretches nearly the full width of my kitchen stove and a close up of the sticker on it that says 18.45#!!!
(Will save the pics for after the move)

icemn62
09-10-2005, 11:06 PM
That is a great sounding brisket. I only did one, since I have been on the site, and it came out BEAUTIFUL. People at work and my family are still asking when will I do another. It was only 11 pounds, but I was exhausted after the cook. With your 18.5 pounder I could gas up the car and drive to your house intime to eat. Enjoy it, and post lots of pics when we can.

rbinms33
09-10-2005, 11:19 PM
18 pounds!?!?! I don't even think that would fit on my Bandera. Most of the ones I see down here are maybe 12 pounds tops. That must have been one big ole cow.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Some mountains you have to climb just because they're there.

Went to Wally Super tonight to get something to Q up overnight for game food tomorrow. Started looking thru the briskets and came across this beauty on the bottom of the pile!!
May not be done until Monday Night Football but I said, "What the fark!!" Couldn't pass it up! Rubbed it up, just got loaded in the Fast Eddy. Now I'm gonna get some sleep, and see what it looks like in the morning :D

Bummer, if we hadn't been hacked, you'd see a picture of a HUGE brisket that stretches nearly the full width of my kitchen stove and a close up of the sticker on it that says 18.45#!!!
(Will save the pics for after the move)

Holy crap, Scott! I don't think I've ever seen one that big either! :shock:

Well fark, that sucks though! It won't be done in time for the Broncos game at noon, huh? :wink:

JamesB
09-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Back in May when all of the stores around here were running thier holiday specials (brisket $.82lb), I can across a the largest brisket that I have seen to date... 26.6lbs.

I didn't buy it 'cause I didn't think I could stand a 2 or 3 day cook...

James.

Wayne
09-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Last week I fixed three trimmed briskets and holy moly did they ever turn out good. Rubbed them with Boars Breath (yes I still have a little from the old days) and coated them with minced garlic. The things were done in 7 hours and they have been feeding us all weel long. Tonight I sliced some up cold and made Blue Moon samiches. WOW, what a nice supper.

jminion
09-11-2005, 01:02 AM
6 or 7 years ago my partner showed up a competition with a 19 pounder, not sure it's done yet!

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 02:09 AM
6 or 7 years ago my partner showed up a competition with a 19 pounder, not sure it's done yet!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nicely done, Jim!

kcquer
09-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Set the alarm so I could get up and just check on things (need to get me one of those Nu-Temps, coulda just stayed in bed), hopper has plenty of pellets, cooker is running right where I have it set, all is well.

This really was a great looking brisket, only excess fat was along one edge of the fatcap. I usually spend a good amount of time trimming waste off any packer, this one came out of the cry-o-vac ready to cook. Showed some discipline and didn't even open the door(I've come a long ways in 18 months :wink: ), will wait 'til 7 when the fatties go on for that. It is smelling pretty good though!!

kcquer
09-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Finally had a look, it's coming right along. Therm sez 155, if it doesn't hang up on me, we're looking good for halftime!!
Put on the his and hers fatties (JD hot and maple), got biscuits in the frig, a trip to the corner C-store for a V-8 and I think I'll make it ot brisket time :wink:

Bigdog
09-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Sounds great Scott. Enjoy the game bro. Go Chiefs!!

brdbbq
09-11-2005, 10:24 AM
made Blue Moon samiches.

WTF is that ?

Jorge
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
18 pounds!?!?! I don't even think that would fit on my Bandera. Most of the ones I see down here are maybe 12 pounds tops. That must have been one big ole cow.

Set a rib rack in there and lay the brisket over it, should you ever cook a monster like that.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 10:44 AM

Set a rib rack in there and lay the brisket over it, should you ever cook a monster like that.

What am I missing, Jorge? What does this accomplish?

Bigdog
09-11-2005, 10:59 AM

It's a geometry issue, Jeff. The rib rack allows the longer brisket to fit by making it shorter due to the arch created by the rib rack. Get it now?

brdbbq
09-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Takes up less room cause it's looped................

G$
09-11-2005, 11:13 AM

I think he means if the brisket is too long to lay on a grate, you can drape it over a rib rack.

My biggest brisket was over 15 pounds. Last week I did two 7 pounders. I sure like the smaller ones better, but it is impressive to tell folks you cooked 15, 19, 26???? pound briskets.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh ok... gotcha! Light goes on mod. I got a D in geometry in college! :oops:

brdbbq
09-11-2005, 12:13 PM
I got a D in geometry in college!

Guess that left Calculus out ?

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 01:04 PM

Oh HELL yeah it did! Algebra was a chore!

brdbbq
09-11-2005, 01:11 PM

Oh HELL yeah it did! Algebra was a chore!

Not picking on you Calculus was the only math I had that had a application. Except for making change at the Cash register which most people can't do taday.......But that is a whole new story.

The_Kapn
09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
And the topic was??????

Scott, at least you can take a nap with the FEC doing it's thing :lol:
20 lbs of pellets is supposed to last over 24 hours- so you should be in good shape for fuel :lol:

Let us know how it goes.

TIM

kcquer
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Put the big brisket on at 10:30 last night, came off the cooker just before noon at an internal temp of 196.

I used the step method on the FE, beginning with 2 hours on smoke, 2 hours on 180, then 4 hours on 240 and the balance of the cook at 275. The early part of the cook, low temps are used to help develop smoke flavor and to a lesser extent the smokering I'm accustomed to with offset cooking. 13.5 hrs for an 18.5# brisket and plenty of shut eye to go with it.

The results, one of if not the best brisket I ever cooked. Just beyond competition tender (love 'em that way) and not yet beginning to dry out. Very moist, solid 1/4" smokering and great smoke flavor. Been struggling with the new cooker, getting comp tenderness when I wanted more tender than that for home eating. Finally was patient enough to get 'er done!! Gonna have some good eats for lunch this week :wink:

Trout_man22
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
I used the step method on the FE, beginning with 2 hours on smoke, 2 hours on 180, then 4 hours on 240 and the balance of the cook at 275. The early part of the cook, low temps are used to help develop smoke flavor and to a lesser extent the smokering I'm accustomed to with offset cooking. 13.5 hrs for an 18.5# brisket and plenty of shut eye to go with it.

The results, one of if not the best brisket I ever cooked. Just beyond competition tender (love 'em that way) and not yet beginning to dry out. Very moist, solid 1/4" smokering and great smoke flavor. Been struggling with the new cooker, getting comp tenderness when I wanted more tender than that for home eating. Finally was patient enough to get 'er done!! Gonna have some good eats for lunch this week

Scott,

Have I told you that I hate you?

I wish that I could sleep through the night.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Gonna have some good eats for lunch this week :wink:

Ummm Scott I think you have lunch for three weeks with a beast of those proportions! :lol:

Seriously, congrats on a nice job!

kcquer
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Scott,

Have I told you that I hate you?

I wish that I could sleep through the night.

The FE certainly allows more sleep than std offset cooking, however it's not a set it and forget it rig (at least not for me). To get the desired results (what I'm used to from stick feeding) does require using the step method (getting up to change the thermostat) and best results come from using different pellets during different stages of the cook.

I didn't change pellets on this cook, and getting up to turn a knob on click takes less time than a middle of the night whiz, so I'm not complaining. Just making the point that a WSM probably requires less input than the FE, but it won't hold 150# of butts.
I went with the FE when I bought a new cooker mainly for fuel convience vs an offset of similar capacity. Instead of a cord of wood stacked outside the house potentially drawing bugs and requiring a chainsaw and splitting gear (and effort), I have 6 bags of pellets on a shelf in the garage. 4 3# coffee cans will hold more than enough fuel for a contest run with plenty of extra for cooking eats friday.

There is a learning curve with the FE and what applies to offset cooking doesn't necessarily translate well to pellet cooking. I refer to this learning curve as the "method mod". When stuff doesn't come out as well as it did on the offset, the OL is quick to tell me I need to do a method mod.
Briskets have been good since the first one I cooked in it, was rewarding today to finally do better than I did in the Cimarron.

Trout_man22
09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Ok, I don't hate you. You suck, but I don't hate you. :wink:

kcquer
09-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, I don't hate you. You suck, but I don't hate you.

LMAO, that's fair enough Jim, fair enough :D

icemn62
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I now have brisket envy. Gotta go talk to the wife about me taking a few days off and a trip to costco. :wink:

kcquer
09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Well here's the pix of the raw brisket. Was watching the Chiefs and forgot to take any of the finished product.