PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg - L or XL?

Riskyguy
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
The local hardware store is having a 10% off sale next weekend on all grills. That will make the large BGE $675 and the XL $900. Is the XL worth the $225 difference? There are only three of us here that I cook for but occasionally cook for up to 10 people.

One of my concerns about the large BGE is that I may not be able to cook 3 racks of ribs on it at the same time. Maybe I am wrong though.

I have also heard that the XL is a real lump hog and quite a bit more costly to operate as a result.

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

By the way, I am still thinking about the Primo Oval XL cooker but it is over $1,200 and they are firm on their price.

fingerlickin'
05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I had the same decision to make when I bought my egg. I've never cooked on a large so I can't speak from experience, although with the proper rack setup i'm pretty certain you'll be able to do 3 racks no problem, and probably more.

I'm really happy with my decision to get the XL. I do cook for the occasional party and I like having the extra room if I need it. It's rare I ever feel cramped for space. I would also say it's far from a fuel hog. I could probably do 5 short cooks or one 30 hr cook on one load of quality lump.

I remember when I bought my 50in TV, it would've cost me $200 more to get the 55in and it wasn't 2 weeks before I wished I had. I applied that same logic to my egg choice and i'm glad I did.

Someone will be along shortly to give you more info on the large i'm sure. Good luck and i'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one yoou choose.

Booking It
05-23-2012, 11:23 PM
The logical answer is why not get both?

The realistic answer is the XL. We are a two person household and I fill the XL up so full that I can't imagine using anything smaller. I can easily have 3-4 racks lay flat on the grate and the 16 pound brisket that I did two weeks ago fit in perfectly. No trimming anything down.

I suppose it's a bit of a lump hog, but since I can get it so cheap at Restaurant Depot, I don't worry. I learned that when it is sealed up tight (using a new gasket), the unused lump stays whole. Before that, air would sneak in and keep the lump burning.

We have two minis for the quick cooks like burgers, brats and steaks. I am always keeping an eye out for a good deal on a medium or large just to add more variety. :mrgreen:

shirknwrk
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Does the $675 price on the large include the "nest" or the shelves? If not, figure $150-200 more... Unless you're planning on building your own table for it.
You can do 3 slabs of spare ribs (flat) using the Adjustable Rig and the sliding oval grids from the Ceramic Grill Store. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/sliding-grids.html Very high quality accessories and excellent customer service. I'd suggest the "Customer Combo" which includes a 13" pizza stone as an indirect piece. More versatile than the plate setter. If you trim your ribs St Louis style, you can get 6 slabs on 3 levels of the adjustable rig. The sliding grid option makes it simple to trade the top (hotter) level grid with the 2nd level grid. If doing 3 levels, you would have to lift the whole Adjustable Rig from the Egg to switch the bottom level but it is easy to lift even with meat on it.

Unless I frequently cooked for more than 4, I'd stick with the large and spend the extra on accessories. I've heard that the extra large does use more lump, but not enough more to make that a factor in my decision. Kamado style cookers are probably the most efficient charcoal cooker available. You might want to check out Kamado Joe... Same size as the large Egg (They just brought out an XL too) but the stand and shelves come with the Kamado Joe... not a small savings.

Midnight Smoke
05-23-2012, 11:29 PM
For me having more than enough is always better. Easy to do smaller cooks. I would not base my decision on the amount of lump they use, either way it is pennies.

martyleach
05-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a large and do 3 racks often. I use a a roasting racke upside down to hold them.

I have also done a 16lb packer brisket on it by folding it over the roasting rack...

Have fun.

ALLENY
05-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I have a large and with the bge roasting rack turned upside down i have cooked 5 racks of ribs easily. I probably could have have done six racks, and by the way, they were awesome!!!

Badgeman
05-24-2012, 06:36 AM
I agree that the extra space on the XL is very handy...if you need it. In most cases for me it goes unused. That's why I tend to the use the large more often. The XL does use more lump, but again, pennies.

Jason TQ
05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
The xl is especially great for me when I'm grilling a bunch of steaks/burgers and still have plenty of room to grill veggies or in the case of the picture below, pineapple. A lot of times I use one of the grilling trays for veggies and they take up a lot of room, but on the xl it fits great. I don't know how much more fuel the xl uses, but it can't be that much more since they are pretty damn efficient. I put some more pics below too to give you more food layout visuals.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/IMG471.jpg

Here is an example of 4 racks of ribs and a bunch of bacon wrapped jalapenos. I used a smaller rack I have in the kitchen as a rack extender so I could get it all in there. Without the jalapenos 3 easily fit laying across. You can do 4 across, but then the outsides get done fast because the heat come from around the outside of the plate setter.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/IMG347.jpg

Here's a brisket. Was around 12lbs if I remember correctly
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/2011-10-12_10-54-36_767.jpg

Bunch of thighs using a cookie rack as an extender
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/IMG056.jpg

Couple butts with plenty of room to spare
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/IMG061.jpg

Here is one to think about too. How big of pizza do you want to be able to make?? I only have a 14in pizza peel so this is about all the bigger my pizza's get right now, but I'm going to be getting a much bigger one soon. This pizza was good size, but looks tiny on the xl's stone.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/2011-08-31_20-17-56_937.jpg

And in case you wondered what 2 xl's and a large look like in the back of an explorer, here ya go :becky:.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/2011-08-23_10-22-09_838.jpg

Oldyote
05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I've done 4 racks without the rig using the v-rack but prefer the ability to lay them flat.

I recently purchased the adjustable rig (Customer Combo with rig extender) from the Ceramic Grill Store for my Large Egg. With shipping I spent $225.33 cents.

While the adjustable rig is very cool I think I would rather have the XL and not have to mess with racks. If you have the time and tools I'd suggest building a table. For the price of the stand you could build yourself a nice table.

Have fun.

Riskyguy
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Well the decision may have gotten easier. The Colorado Eggfest that happens this summer will have the demo large BGE's on sale for $625. Hard to pass that up!

Jaskew82
05-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I own a large and love it for 2 people. If I were to cook bigger cuts of meat on it, I would want an XL. Fortunately for me, I have several other smoker options for my big cuts. I mostly use it for steaks, pizza, chicken, etc.

I recommend getting the XL.

mtbchip
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Go BIGGEST!!!! You won't regret it!

R2Egg2Q
05-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Well the decision may have gotten easier. The Colorado Eggfest that happens this summer will have the demo large BGE's on sale for $625. Hard to pass that up!

Demo Eggs at the three different Eggfests I've been to also include a Nest. Do you know if the 8/18 fest will include it at that price? The event page doesn't mention it.

In regards to lump usage in an XL, there are some lump reducing options like CGS's lump reducing rings:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/R2Egg2Q/BBQ/IMG_7101.jpg

And Ang-L brackets:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/R2Egg2Q/BBQ/IMG_1440.jpg

A Small or Mini Egg would also be a nice complement to a L or XL if you really want to reduce lump usage on small cooks! :grin:

Riskyguy
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure if it includes the nest or not. I don't need one as I am going to build a table for it.

Baby Back Maniac
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I've got an XL and love the extra space and how easily larger briskets and ribs rib without burning as easily around the edges. Having said that, if you are one to be concerned about burning extra lump with the bigger cooker, it's going to bug you...Or at least it bugged me. I ended up getting a medium off Craiglist as well and what I figured out is 90 percent of the cooks for my family fit on that. So for me it's the best of both worlds.

Bro-be-que
05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
here's what two 8.5 lb shoulders look like on the large.https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553417_463374107009968_100000121475061_1982541_191 0141800_n.jpg

kennyd0118
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I easily fit to pork butts or shoulders on my large.
I have also done 4 full racks of pork ribs on the rib rack. It was tight but a lot of meat.
That being said, I am on the lookout for an XL.
I like to cook for groups of people and I'd also like option of cooking more than one cut or type of meat at the same time.
It really depends on how many people you plan on cooking for.
I cook or 3 or 4 most times on my large and always have tons of leftovers.
Either way you go, you will enjoy the egg.
Kenny

BBQ_MAFIA
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't know what the right answer is.
I have 3 Eggs and several other cookers. The LG BGE gets used the most
and I have 7 people to feed. That being said, if I only had one, it would be the XL
for those times when I need more space.

Good luck with your choice.

Riskyguy
05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know what the right answer is.
I have 3 Eggs and several other cookers. The LG BGE gets used the most
and I have 7 people to feed. That being said, if I only had one, it would be the XL
for those times when I need more space.

Good luck with your choice.

----------------------------------
Did you have to spend a lot on accessories to be able to cook for 7 people?

Lake Dogs
05-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Having gone through a few grills in the past, I've always found a way to use the extra space and many times felt like I needed more... If you can afford the larger one, something tells me that in a few years you'll look back and think "why did I ever consider the smaller one". Otherwise in a few years you'll be thinking "how can I sell this and get the larger one" or "where can I put the 2nd BGE?"

Good luck with it.

R2Egg2Q
05-24-2012, 02:55 PM
In my opinion, there's some questions that one should answer or at least consider before choosing the size that is optimal for their needs:

-how many people will you typically cook for?
-what do you like to cook?
-would you trim your spares to a St. Louis cut?
-do you plan on hosting parties?
-do you have other cookers you can use for the occasions when you need greater capacity?
-what's your budget?
-how important is portability to you? do you see taking your cooker anyplace (ex. camping,tailgates, competitions) and if so can you count on having help to lift the Egg or do you need to be able to lift it by yourself?

By no means, do I consider this a complete list but these would be the kind of questions I ask my friends who are considering Eggs. I asked these questions of 3 friends buying Demo Eggs at an upcoming Eggfest and they all chose the Large over the XL as the best fit for their individual needs, preferences, and budgets.
They also took into account that they could always utilize one of the few options for an extra tier for the occasional larger gatherings.

There's just two of us in my home and admittedly, I initially bought an XL for what I believe were the wrong reasons. I find that when I cook on the XL there's a feeling of "I gotta fill it" and I end up giving away a lot of food to friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors. Don't get me wrong, they all love the food but it certainly isn't cheap to give away a bunch of food. Do I regret buying an XL? Not really but I do realize at times that it was probably overkill for my initial needs. I will say it sure is nice when I'm cooking a couple of 14-16 lb packer briskets. I ended up buying a Small as well for the smaller cooks for just the two of us. I now have a Mini as well and it is my goto quick cooker.

BBQ_MAFIA
05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
----------------------------------
Did you have to spend a lot on accessories to be able to cook for 7 people?

Not really.

The large holds a nice size Brisket. It can also hold enough pork butts for us when we want pulled pork. When cooking chicken I put together a home made extention rack made out of cookie cooling racks so it holes enough there too. I have cooked a few rack of ribs on the large but they were rolled and cooked on end. If you plan on cooking multiple things at one time and in big quantities, then you will not have enough room on a large. When I need to cook big amounts I use one of my other cookers. (Spicewine or Lang)

Good luck to you.

Big Bears BBQ
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
If you can't get 2 XL then get one XL ........ you won't be sorry ....

secondcityswine
05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I've used both the large and XL BGE. I have an XL at home and my father has a large. I originally bought the BGE to use as my main cooker, and wanted the extra space. My logic at the time was that a few hundred dollars more was the less expensive route than having to get another cooker in the near future if I wanted more room. That being said I now own two BWS in addition to my XL egg. I prefer to cook for large groups, and found myself cooking a lot of briskets and butts. When I've used his large, I've generally found myself wishing I had a little bit extra room to cook with.

I have had a problem a few times when using the large where some of the meat was above the open space between the ceramic plate and the wall of the egg. The plate is there for the indirect heat, and the portion of the meat that it is not protecting can get overcooked or burned. Anyone else run into this on the large? I've not had this problem with the XL.

I've never had a problem with it consuming too much charcoal. I can get several cooks out of one load of lump.

To sum up...R2Egg2Q states it best above with the questions provided. It really comes down what you plan on cooking most, and who/how many you'll be cooking for. Whichever size you choose, you'll be happy with the product itself!

jwconlogbridge
05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Great info and ideas on the BGE. Does anyone have favorite recipe sites for the BGE?

Thanks!

isolated01
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I have 3 big green eggs. 2 large and a mini. I saw people cook on an xl at an eggfest and they complained about how hot it was reaching across the thing ( granted snackatizers for a couple hundred isn't normal) as far as web sites I like this one and greeneggers, don't miss cowgirls blog etc. it's not about a website trailered to a grill it's about inspiration you get from a website and then cooking it on your grill. Good luck

Southstar Jeff
05-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I went with the large and wish I'd gone for the XL.".... Sometimes there is no substitute for space....

MoyMch
05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a large and it holds everything I normally cook. If you cook for big groups then spend the extra coin for the XL.

silverfinger
05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I use a 50 year old imperial kamado and I was looking at the BGE the other day. One thing I noticed was that the XL was much more shallow then the large. How does that effect long cooks with the fire so much closer to the meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.