PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried?

jbuntingsr
05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I see that some people use sand or a clay pot in the water pan in a WSM. Has anyone tried to use those methods in a weber kettle instead of water?

MarleyMan
05-22-2012, 02:00 PM
the issue in a kettle would be that it would not be directly below the grate per the design of the WSM where the firegrate and heatsink (waterpan) sit below the cooking grate.

The reason people do it in a WSM is so you do not have to empty nasty greasy water at the end of a cook session and still get the benefits of some sort of thermal mass
to act as a heatsink to regulate temps.

So personally speaking I don't think you would get the same benefit ( heatsink, and no messy water to clean up after your cook)

I have never tried it though....this is just speculation off the top of my head.

hamiltont
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
You'd probably be better off placing a piece of Heavy Duty Foil over half of the charcoal grate and fold the middle up towards the center of the grilling grate. Place the charcoal on the charcoal grate, opposite the foil, and place the meat on the grilling grate over the foil. Rotate the meat once in a while because the side facing the charcoal will be hotter. If you want to put a small pan of water on top of the foil you could. Something like a loaf pan would work. Cheers!!!

Pappy
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
2 Fire bricks in the middle holding back the charcoal for indirect, will create a heat sink. They get hot enough to sizzle the fat that drips on them.

MarleyMan
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
IN addition if you are trying to get a similar result (low and slow) in a kettle this is a good diagram and method.

I use the same method when doing a low & slow kettle cook (minus the H20 pan on the top grate - i just put water in the "drip pan" for a heatsink)

http://www.thesmokering.com/images/stories/RibsOnWeberKettle/weber.jpg

jbuntingsr
05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
thanks for the comments

landarc
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I use a cast iron skillet on the fire grate, and a aluminum foil baffle along the fire. I fill the cast iron with water. The water will cook dry in any cook over 6 hours, the cast iron gives me a large heat sink, it also acts as a baffle to block airflow towards the burning coals. I have used a cast iron pizza pan, and several cans filled with water to retain the charcoal, it worked great too. But, my cans were thrown out (neighbors meant well, and who would normally see a bunch of charrred cans and not assume they were garbage) and I have not burned out some new ones yet. So, in a way, yes, I have several tricks for increasing thermal mass and still adding water to a kettle for a long smoke.

I believe you must add water to a kettle for smoking to increase the internal moisture, the convection and small air chamber are too effective at removing moisture, which leads to hard bark and excess burning on the edges of the meat if you do not add a little moisture. I do not like mopping or lifting the lid once I am cooking, so this has been my solution.