PDA

View Full Version : rib times on UDS

grill 'em all
05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
did 2 racks of baby backs sat. drum locked on 250,cooked 1 hr each side then foiled..then cooked 1 and 1/2 hrs each side..turned out good,no leftovers,but having only used offsets til now,the drum goes about its business a little different than i'm used to..so i'd like to know cooktimes for baby backs from fellow drumheads out there..oh yeah,my family likes em a little overcooked..they love the 'fall off the bone' ribs..

fireitup
05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I cook them at 270* for about 4 hours. I don't foil mine. My wife insists on fall off the bone so I foil hers with some Margarita mix for the last hour or so. Come out perfect every time.

razrbakcrzy
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
285° for 3-5 by doneness. pick it up and it breaks in half too done for me!

4uweque
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I cook for 2 hours then foil them for an hour, then unfoil for about 30 minutes to set the sauce and they are right on the edge of fall off bone. I'm not sure of the exact temp because I have a short thermometer at grate level. It reads 200 when it's cooking right but I know it's a good bit hotter than that.

dddouglas
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Did some Sun. 2 3/4 hrs @ 325ish foiled last 1/2 hour and rested um maybe an hour not sure was busy at the time.

Muscrat
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I do mine 2-2-30min. They come out pretty good for me at those times at around 225

El Ropo
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't flip ribs in the UDS, IMO it's better to leave 'er closed up. About 4 hours for meaty spares untouched and no peeking. About 3.25 hours for loin backs using same method.

Don't believe foiling does anything to improve the texture of meat, so don't use it. Straight up, no flipping, mopping , spritzing, foiling, etc. for me.

@ 250, loin backs should be done or close to done at the 3 hour point. That's the advantage of not opening the cooker though. If you peek, and do all the other stuff, it may take a lot longer.

grill 'em all
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't flip ribs in the UDS, IMO it's better to leave 'er closed up. About 4 hours for meaty spares untouched and no peeking. About 3.25 hours for loin backs using same method.

Don't believe foiling does anything to improve the texture of meat, so don't use it. Straight up, no flipping, mopping , spritzing, foiling, etc. for me.

@ 250, loin backs should be done or close to done at the 3 hour point. That's the advantage of not opening the cooker though. If you peek, and do all the other stuff, it may take a lot longer.

my only problem is the kids love the "Trigg" method,butter,honey and brown sugar,that my daughter watched on TV with me..she will literally go in the kitchen with me to watch/help me do it..she wont try em without it..she IS the boss round here..she's 7 AND her favorite food is McDonalds:crazy:.. i'll try without flipping but gotta open twice to foil..i'll adjust times accordingly..
thanks for the reply..

vafish
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I do mine at 250 with a 3-2-1/2 method.

When I foil them I drizzle either honey or blue agave syrup on them.

Panthers65
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM

I'd agree, I'll start checking my spares at 3 hours, if they have the bark that I like, I'll foil, but at least 75% of the time I run them all the way through, no problems. I do cook mine a little longer than that cause the family likes the "fall off the bone" ribs, but that doesn't stop me from pulling a couple off early for myself.

PorkQPine
05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Timing of bbq is a art not science, it's done when it's done. On my UDS I do an hour on each side, foil for approx. 45 min, out of foil and bones down for 15 min. then sauce and let it set for 15 min. All times are approx. When you think the rack will break in half they are done. When they do break in half they are over done.

beastrsbrew
05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
St Louis last night.2hours at 225,1hr foiled with honey,brown sugar,ur favorite BBQ sauce.then 1hour uncovered to set sauce works every time.wsm or uds

El Ropo
05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
St Louis last night.2hours at 225,1hr foiled with honey,brown sugar,ur favorite BBQ sauce.then 1hour uncovered to set sauce works every time.wsm or uds

Warming meat to death dries it out. In my experience, cooking at higher temps makes a superior product, and I don't have to waste foil. Shorter times in the heat = less moisture loss. Yeah it doesn't make sense, but it works.

Don't care for sugar on ribs. A little turbinado is all I use, but it's a small percentage.

If you haven't tried smoking naked ribs @ 300, then you won't get it.

grill 'em all
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Warming meat to death dries it out. In my experience, cooking at higher temps makes a superior product, and I don't have to waste foil. Shorter times in the heat = less moisture loss. Yeah it doesn't make sense, but it works.

Don't care for sugar on ribs. A little turbinado is all I use, but it's a small percentage.

If you haven't tried smoking naked ribs @ 300, then you won't get it.

I'll try this method friday..with hardly any adjustments,this drum loves to
coast at 300..i'll let you know how it goes..thanks