PDA

View Full Version : Question on wood quality

Badgeman
05-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for in a google search. How concerned do I need to be with the quality of pecan wood. I've got a local supplier here in Minnesota that makes an annual trip to Texas. Last year I got 50 pound of pecan splits from him and they seemed a little ratty. Nothing rotting, but some that looked old, alot of termite trails and dust. Bear in mind that I'm used to cooking with locally sourced wood that is cleaner, so it may just be the wood itself.

Any comments are appreciated.

markdtn
05-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Doesn't sound right to me.

razrbakcrzy
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I use wood directly from (3) huge pecan trees I cut down on my property. I cut them and stacked them in my back yard on a wooden log stay I built from landscape timbers. It sits in the rain and snow & sun with the bark on and my smoke is as clean as anybody's I've seen. I see guy's who remove the bark and keep their wood covered and go to great lenght to use "Clean Wood" I have never had a complaint. I'm sure you will get other opinions here. I say; "you can over think your process". After all BBQ is supposed to be rustic cooking....

Jsirks
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
As long as it's not gone soft from dry rot it's probably okay, unless it's still got the termites in it! Try some of it out on some links or something else cheap to make sure. I've been lucky enough to harvest just about the only pecan tree growing in Michigan. Planted by an old friend from Louisiana when he moved here after WWII, it blew down in a storm almost a year to the day after he died. I use it sparingly as it is pretty much a religious experience knowing its history!

1FUNVET
05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I use pecan pretty often and for some reason bugs seem to love it.I brought some pieces home from my brothers place and put them inside my shop on a wooden pallet to dry.Went to check several weeks later and what looked like sawdust was on the floor.Wood is still good and bugs add to the smell :clap:

Badgeman
05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks, all. I know that all wood has it's own character and appearance. I don't to over think it; I agree, this is supposed to be "rustic" by nature. I'll forge on.