PDA

View Full Version : Spare Ribs

Jeep
05-20-2012, 06:24 AM
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/rchusk/SpareRibs.jpg

The Above image is my very first attempt at trimming spare ribs.

Today is going to be my first attempt at smoking them. I will be using my Performer. Cast iron pan in middle ring of coals around the edge light one end and close down the air intake to about wire hangers width.

The rough estimate is 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours foiled and 1 hour with sauce (if your into that kinda thing).

If I am shooting for around 5:30 to eat... should I put this on at noon or sooner. If they finish sooner... can I cooler them like a Butt?

The small trimmings will go into the beans that we are doing.

As I don't have a grinder at this point... what should I do with the bigger part that I trimmed off? Just throw it on the Performer with the ribs?

Thanks

-Jeep

redvert05
05-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Yep toss the Rib Tips section on the Weber with the Ribs....you will have a "snack" while you wait for the ribs to finish!

Personally we only do Spares for about 4 - 4.5 hours unfoiled. If you want "fall off the bone" ribs then the times you quoted and foiling them will prob work for you. We prefer a "bite clean off the bone" so we put them on and just let them cook. Temp we run is about 250-275. BB's will cook in about 3.5 hrs for us with the same plan.

We typically do ours on our OTG with the coals banked to one side.

Good luck with your cook today! :clap:

Puppyboy
05-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Cook it all.

We cook the trimmed piece just like the ribs with a version of the 3-2-1 then cut into 2-3" chunks and serve.

We also hold in a cooler if they're done too soon.

dadsr4
05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Yep toss the Rib Tips section on the Weber with the Ribs....you will have a "snack" while you wait for the ribs to finish!

Personally we only do Spares for about 4 - 4.5 hours unfoiled. If you want "fall off the bone" ribs then the times you quoted and foiling them will prob work for you. We prefer a "bite clean off the bone" so we put them on and just let them cook. Temp we run is about 250-275. BB's will cook in about 3.5 hrs for us with the same plan.

We typically do ours on our OTG with the coals banked to one side.

Good luck with your cook today! :clap:
Sounds like you have it well planed out.

Bbqin fool
05-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Good job trimming! Now get em smokin! :thumb:

Ron_L
05-20-2012, 10:20 AM

That's pretty close to what I do with ribs, too.

Jeep
05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
OK... I need to decide... but I am leaning towards not saucing the ribs and just serving with BBQ Sauce on the side.

Astroimage
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
OK... I need to decide... but I am leaning towards not saucing the ribs and just serving with BBQ Sauce on the side.

To funny! Binary code... Love it! :wink:

Brian

nucornhusker
05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
OK... I need to decide... but I am leaning towards not saucing the ribs and just serving with BBQ Sauce on the side.I'd serve them dry, sauce on the side only if requested! Good dry ribs beat sauced ribs to me.

Whenever I cook ribs for people I don't even give a sauce option, I make them ask for it. It's hardly ever requested after they try them dry. If they ask for sauce then they are just being stubborn.

Jeep
05-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Well these are my very first attempt at ribs... so I want to have the sauce out there just incase I need a crutch.

They are in the last couple of min... my wife is due home any second now... and my inlaws are walking up... I will let you know how they were after we eat.

Jeep
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Ok.. here they are...

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/rchusk/12_05_20.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/rchusk/12_05_20_ribs.jpg

The Ribs were wicked good. Not falling off the bone, but came clean off when biting into them.

I did not sauce them. It was the right call.

I was not impressed by the portion that I trimmed off. It was quite chewy.

I was able to keep the temp on both of my grills at 250-275 all day long.

-Jeep

El Ropo
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Nice looking pig bones! Pass 'em on down.

Big Bears BBQ
05-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Ribs look pretty good ............ the kettle does a nice job .......

Jeffp
05-20-2012, 06:33 PM
They look great. Now I want ribs. thanks for sharing

criffaaa1
05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
looks good, the tips shoulda been just as tender as the ribs

bigabyte
05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Very nice!

Mo-Dave
05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Those do look great. Next time try sprinkling a light coat of the rub you used before cooking and then give that a light spray of apple juice or any other kind of juice, even beer.
Dave