PDA

View Full Version : London Broil

lemur
05-18-2012, 06:38 AM
My Dad, who lived in Boston for a few years used to Q up a cut he called London Broil. Around here if you ask for it thy point you to a sausage mixture wraped with a slice of beef then wrapped with a strip of bacon...Imagine a fattie then sliced into inch or so slices.

Can anyone tell me what I need to tell butcher to get the cut Im looking for... The slab he cooked was about 2-3 inches thick, foot wide and maybe 5-6 inches deep. It had to be cut against the grain of was tough and was full of flavour when charred on outside and rare-med rare on inside.

Thanks in advance

BigBlock
05-18-2012, 06:52 AM
go to a different butcher, if he doesn't know what a london broil is he don't know what he is doing

deguerre
05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
London broil isn't really a specific cut, but a way of preperation. Marinate and tenderize. Usually the cuts used (Typically top round or flank) are very tough. Broil or grill to medium rare with a nice char, slice VERY thin across the grain after cooking. Good stuff.

Bigdog
05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
It is my understanding that London Broil refers more to the style of cooking than the cut of beef.

^^^^^^^see above post^^^^^^

lemur
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Dont think he ever marinated...Maybe someone from Boston area can enlighten.

Norm
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Used to be that sirloin was used for it. Now it's whatever the butcher has extra to mark up in price after slapping a piece of bacon around it.

shakeandbake72
05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Our butchers here don't put bacon around it. It is normally just a big old piece of tough meat. I always marinate for a day and then cook slowly.

lola
05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
It all depends on where you are? In the US london broil is typically flank steak that is marinated to tenderize and grilled to med/med rare and thinly cut cross grain. North of the border lb is typically ground beef or pork, wrapped in thinly sliced steak and in Ontario especially, they wrap this in bacon. In the Maritimes they sometimes use ground lamb instead of pork.

As others have said, london broil is not a cut of meat but a cooking style and that varies from region to region. Hopes this helps to confuse the issue even more. I've had it in both areas and each is very good. Moving from Boston to Canada has been the big difference, ask the butcher for flank stake and try making it the way you remember.

spider22
05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
In New England London Broil is a cut of steak. It is usually a little on the tough side but it is fairly inexpensive but if grilled and sliced thin against the grain is very flavorful. I have had some homegrown beef that the London Broil was actually fairly tender but on that particular animal even the chuck steaks were actually fairly tender as well.

pork_butt
05-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I believe it is Top Round :thumb:

lemur
05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Think ill try top round...im familiar with flank and what in looking for is about twice as thick as flank

Al Czervik
05-18-2012, 09:10 AM
In New England London Broil is a cut of steak. It is usually a little on the tough side but it is fairly inexpensive but if grilled and sliced thin against the grain is very flavorful.

+1 on this... Almost every grocery store in my area has this cut. I have never tried it, but plan on giving it a shot next time I see it on sale.

landarc
05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
London Broil in London refers to a way of cooking, in the U.S. it refers to a center cut sirloin, or worse, a center cut round, boneless and usually about 1.5" thick. We here also used to discern the difference between Chateaubriand and London Broil, as one was more tender, coming from the top sirloin center cut, while London Broil was Bottom Sirloin.

BobM
05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
In New England London Broil is a cut of steak. It is usually a little on the tough side but it is fairly inexpensive but if grilled and sliced thin against the grain is very flavorful. I have had some homegrown beef that the London Broil was actually fairly tender but on that particular animal even the chuck steaks were actually fairly tender as well.Same here on Long Island.
I cut it up in 1/4" - 3/8" slices and marinade for at least 24 hours. Grill at a very high temp for a minute or two on each side. Quite good!

landarc
05-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Ta daaa...London Broil Steak
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/catalog/LondonBroil_large.jpg

accuseal
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Definitely Top Round in our area.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

BBQ_MAFIA
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
We get these in a double pack from Costo.
They get grilled until med/rare, cut thin and enjoyed by the entire family.

FireChief
05-19-2012, 07:45 AM
We get these in a double pack from Costo.
They get grilled until med/rare, cut thin and enjoyed by the entire family.

Yep, that's London Broil. Very, very different from Flank steak. As others have stated, slice very thin otherwise will be tough.

Al Czervik
05-19-2012, 08:47 AM

I normally like your cooks Bob, but I think I might have to pass on this one... :tsk: The meat is a little to raw and the veg too crunchy. :hand: Thank gosh there is some wine to wash it down. :thumb:

lemur
05-19-2012, 08:57 AM

So what is that cut?....my recolection is that the cut my dad grilled was thicker but hard to tell from photo.

NCGuy68
05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Can anyone tell me why the fark the subject cut of bovine is so darn expensive? Its just a tuff cut of meat..!..!..!.

In my neck of the woods the everyday price is right at 5 bucks/Lb. Unless its on sale, I pass right by it in the meat case.

pman777
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
2.5 to 3 lb. boneless shoulder steak or round steak generally cut 1.5" to 2" thick.

1/4 cup red wine
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 to 1 bay leaf crumbled
1/3 cup salad oil
1 Tabspn wine vinegar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp of parsley flakes, (I don't use this)
2 lemon slices halved (I usually use lemon juice)

These are the measurements I found on the Internet about 20 years ago. Doubling it won't hurt a thing.

Marinade overnight, maybe even 24 hours. I sometimes poke my steak with a fork. Make sure to turn the steak over some to circulate the marinade.

Throw it on a hot grill (I even close my lid) and cook 10 minutes on each side. (This sounds like a lot but it always worked well for me and it's still very pink inside with a nice crust on the outside, you can adjust if you want)

After resting 10 minutes, slice it diagonally, across the grain. Keep slices 1/4" or less.

I've never had someone not like this steak. Has an excellent light garlicy flavor. I enjoy it ever bit as much as brisket.

bluetang
05-19-2012, 12:50 PM
So what is that cut?....my recolection is that the cut my dad grilled was thicker but hard to tell from photo.
Top round
The last cut:
http://www.beefretail.org/round.aspx