PDA

View Full Version : Question about wood chunks

shakeandbake72
05-16-2012, 10:02 PM
I picked up an old BBQ book off of ebay and it came in the mail today. I was just browsing it and it recommended wrapping wood chunks in aluminum foil and poking several holes in the foil and placing on the coals when smoking on grill.

Has anyone tried this technique before and are there any merits to it? I have wrapped packets of wood chips in foil before, but never a single chunk.

The book appears to be written in the 50s and reprinted in the 80s. A lot of the information is geared towards backyard built in "BBQ grils" which were popular back then.

BillywannaQ
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I've never wrapped wood chunks. Just thrown them on the charcoal.

bigabyte
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a great way to waste foil to me.

BBQ Bandit
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
SmokeInDaEye refers to them as 'smokebombs' in the Spicefairy video... at the 2:00 mark.

Just sayin'...

Grilled Lobster Stuffed Strip Steak - YouTube

shakeandbake72
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I may have to try it. I have never had any problems with chunks by themselves, but maybe there is a better way. Maybe this weekend I'll use my 18 OTS and my 22 OTS to set up a side by side comparison of wrapped "smoke bombs" vs. plain wood chunks.

IamMadMan
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I picked up an old BBQ book off of ebay and it came in the mail today. I was just browsing it and it recommended wrapping wood chunks in aluminum foil and poking several holes in the foil and placing on the coals when smoking on grill.

Has anyone tried this technique before and are there any merits to it? I have wrapped packets of wood chips in foil before, but never a single chunk.

The book appears to be written in the 50s and reprinted in the 80s. A lot of the information is geared towards backyard built in "BBQ grils" which were popular back then.

May be due to the fact of "grilling" and maybe not able to control the air flow to prevent combustion on his grill. If you can control the airflow on your smoker I wouldn't think it would help. It's probably like the wood chip boxes they sell for grills, limits airflow into the box to prevent combustion of the chips.

retired trucker
05-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Sounds like a tip I read when the wife and daughter bought me a propane smoker several years ago. (used it twice and nearly burned the house down) I quickly gave it away to a friend of my daughter.:oops:

Crash
05-17-2012, 03:16 AM
We only use chunks and they only go directly on the coals. Just our choice I suppose.

I agree with bigabyte...why waste the foil?

NorthwestBBQ
05-17-2012, 04:38 AM

I believe they are saying to wrap wood chips not chunks in foil.

Wampus
05-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Yeah.....sounds like a waste of time and foil.

Saiko
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Like ImMadMan said, I think the only time it would be of benefit is when there is enough air flow to cause the chunk to combust, such as on a grill.
In a regular smoker there really is no need IMO.

1FUNVET
05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Use the foil to make a hat to protect your brain from alien thoughts instead of wrapping the wood chunks in it. :loco:

shakeandbake72
05-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I believe they are saying to wrap wood chips not chunks in foil.

That is what I thought too, but I read it over several times and it is talking about chunks.

shakeandbake72
05-17-2012, 09:53 AM
It very well may only benefit those using a grill and not a smoker. The book doesn't mention smokers at all. It was just a neat old book I picked up for a few bucks on Ebay. I had never heard of the technique before so that is why I asked if anyone else had used it. I think I'm going to try it with my grills and see what happens. Maybe I will use recycled foil so I'm not wasting anything.