PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Cosco tomorrow for first time.. spares?

twinsfan
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
*COSTCO'S ... Fark, keyboard sucks

Having my dad's birthday party saturday for 7 people, thinking of doing a couple racks of ribs and some crab cakes. Kinda Surf N Turf.

Thinking of going to Cosco tomorrow. How much does a membership cost vs. Sams? Do they have untrimmed (or trimmed) racks of spares? Anyone know the normal price?

Sorry for all the questions, never been there, wondering whether Cosco's or Sam's Club would be better. Will post pr0n.

Thanks Guys!

capnrob97
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I think you can go in as a prospective member and buy stuff at a slightly higher price than a member pays.

Midnight Smoke
05-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Untrimmed Spares, around $20.00-$25.00 per package 2 large Slabs.

fingerlickin'
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
My costco membership was either $50 or $55. I think the last time i had a sam's membership it was $40. I actually prefer shopping for meat at BJ's though.

Peteg
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM
They have St Louie spares for $2.99/lb in Madison, WI.

fatdoggie
05-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Costco is $50 or $100 depending on the membership level. The $100 membership gives you a 2% rebate at the end of the year.

Down here, Costco has very recently quit carrying all untrimmed spares (fresh cut and cryopack) and has started carrying some "St. Louis Cut" ribs that are not really a trimmed spare rib and charging a premium price for them. Your Costco may differ.

There was a thread about this a few days ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132831

Jason TQ
05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Costco is $50 or $100 depending on the membership level. The $100 membership gives you a 2% rebate at the end of the year.

Down here, Costco has very recently quit carrying all untrimmed spares (fresh cut and cryopack) and has started carrying some "St. Louis Cut" ribs that are not really a trimmed spare rib and charging a premium price for them. Your Costco may differ.

There was a thread about this a few days ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132831

I get my spares from Costco primarily and they have always been great. This last few weeks I also noticed these "st louis" packs that cost more and look like they blindfolded someone and let them trim the spares :loco:. Right now they still have both and I hope they never stop as those "trimmed" ribs don't look good.

Goddahavit
05-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Yepper, been there today, sorry cant tell you the price, but they had 3 packs of stluis, not trimmed very good, and full spare, looked like 2 packs, same weight for both, but highe3r prices on the poorly trimmed stluis.

P.S. our bj's just switched to the really crappy trimmed st luis, tried them sucks,
what are they doing with the rest of the ribs?? they are giving 4 inch bones and cartilage??

Panthers65
05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Head in and ask to look around before you pay for your membership, as long a your not doing it on a saturday afternoon when all the free samples are out, they won't have a problem with it. Check the quality of your specific costco (because they are all different) and see if it matches your standards or not.

snyper77
05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
If you're just wanting a few slabs of spares, why go to Costco at all? Call Costco and ask them what their spare rib prices are. Then call a few of your local grocers....and compare prices. I'd be willing to bet, you'll get the same price from one of your grocers.
I've gotten to know the guys in the meat market where I shop, and if I want to buy 4 slabs of ribs, I'll ask them "Can you do me a better price than $2.49/lb?"
I hand them the 4 slabs......and they'll re-weigh/re-price them for $1.99/lb.

Of course, that doesn't work everywhere, but I think you'll find a great price if you call a few grocers.

Corky
05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
CostCo's spares aren't enhanced. Cannot get them like that at any of the grocery stores near here. In Spokane area their prices are better and better quality. I don't know of a real butcher around here but I do think there is one in Coeur d'Alene.

They sell a fine steak too (tonight's ribeye):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579525_456875600993004_100000117047695_88510623_19 10027174_n.jpg

Gore
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
If you purchase the executive membership for $110/year, you get 2% back on all your purchases at the end of the year. If this does not add up to at least $110 then they give you the difference, in effect, making the executive membership free.

dadsr4
05-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Around me, Save-A-Lot food stores Have untrimmed non-enhanced spares for 1.79/ LB.

Midnight Smoke
05-17-2012, 12:23 AM
If you purchase the executive membership for $110/year, you get 2% back on all your purchases at the end of the year. If this does not add up to at least $110 then they give you the difference, in effect, making the executive membership free.

Are you sure of this? It is not what they presented to me when they had the big Executive member push a couple months ago.

martyleach
05-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Where I live in California, Costco has the best beef. Ribeye, hands down is the best. Should be graded prime but is Choice. I have had spotty results with the ribs. The fish is a total crap shoot. Salmon is usually great but the cod is sometimes awful.
But overall, Costco is a great store that runs on extremely low profit margins and offers great deals on quality products. Dang, I sound like an ad....

fremont
05-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Bought full spares at a Costco BUSINESS CENTER (they cater to trade but all members may shop there). Paid $1.82/lb two weeks ago. Two big slabs were $19.75.

northwesto
05-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Commodity slabs are running 1.72lb right now at the business center Costco. My retail Costco cut out the full slabs and brought in the trimmed St. Louis for 2.89lb -3 racks per package. I go with the full slabs and grind up the trim for fatties :-D.

Gore
05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Are you sure of this? It is not what they presented to me when they had the big Executive member push a couple months ago.

It certainly is the policy where we are. I've seen it happen a few times that the clerk directed a customer to get a refund for the difference, including once to ourselves, and it has been mentioned in their membership push. I believe Grillman also has mentioned it in previous posts. It might not be advertised, but it does appear to be their policy.

gbaker770
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Costco for the win over Sams Club by far.

Midnight Smoke
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
It certainly is the policy where we are. I've seen it happen a few times that the clerk directed a customer to get a refund for the difference, including once to ourselves, and it has been mentioned in their membership push. I believe Grillman also has mentioned it in previous posts. It might not be advertised, but it does appear to be their policy.

I wish I had known that before. We bought the TV there and they tried to get us to sign up. I ran the numbers in my head and it was not a great deal with our normal spending habits.. :mad2:

stile1121
05-18-2012, 11:40 AM

I just did this (as we now leave farther from Costco making it more difficult to hit the 2% mark making it worthwhile). Here the memberships are $55/$110. If your 2% rebate doesn't reach $55 (the difference between the two membership levels), they'll refund you the difference. Our 2% rebate totaled about $45 (from $2250 in purchases), so they gave me $10 in cash. So the membership isn't free, but the upcharge for the higher-level is if you don't reach the threshold. Not a bad deal.

caliking
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
I get my spares from Costco primarily and they have always been great. This last few weeks I also noticed these "st louis" packs that cost more and look like they blindfolded someone and let them trim the spares :loco:. Right now they still have both and I hope they never stop as those "trimmed" ribs don't look good.

I found the trimmed STL spares once and tried them. I was mad when I opened the pack up - they were cut right down the middle and probably the worst trimmed spares ever. So no more Costco ribs for me. Their steaks on the other hand are fabulous!