PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use Annato/Achiote in their rubs???

Q-Dat
05-14-2012, 05:55 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4838bb3e-8ce8-92bd.jpg

Bought a jar today. Thought it might add some nice color to my ribs. Anybody tried it?

Clarion
05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
I have never used it in a rub, but I use it often: In Guam it is what is used to color the rice red. And whenever Guamanians BBQ, they have red rice! It's been over 30 years since I was there, but we still make the red rice and still BBQ Guamanian-Style, which is quite good!

Q-Dat
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I just tasted it by itself. Kinda "earthy"(whatever that means) but no real strong taste of its own. Should blend right in to a rub with no problems.

deguerre
05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Seems to be very close to sweet paprika. If you can use paprika in a rub, then why not this?

Q-Dat
05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Seems to be very close to sweet paprika. If you can use paprika in a rub, then why not this?

Thats what I'm thinking. However the part I wonder about is how much. I want my ribs to have a red color, but I don't want them to be blindingly red.

deguerre
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Thats what I'm thinking. However the part I wonder about is how much. I want my ribs to have a red color, but I don't want them to be blindingly red.

Don't imagine it would take much. Maybe just a few teaspoons for color. After all, how much paprika do you shake on your deviled eggs?:becky:

bigabyte
05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Excellent for color, but sacrifice a little flavor for it. The color it adds is pretty vivid. You don't need much. I find a good quality paprika adds nice flavor and color so I don't use achiote.

deguerre
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Excellent for color, but sacrifice a little flavor for it. The color it adds is pretty vivid. You don't need much. I find a good quality paprika adds nice flavor and color so I don't use achiote.

Smoked paprika is even better.:thumb:

Moose
05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Achiote is a common ingredient used for color in the marinade for pork al pastor, and more frequently, cochinita pibil, a pork dish roasted in banana leaves. I'm with Guerry- I think you'll get more mileage out of smoked paprika, although it wouldn't hurt to add some achiote to your rub and see how you like it.