PDA

View Full Version : sealing my cheep offset

Ponty56
05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Last fall I saw a char broil offset smoker on sale at target so I bought it. I had never smoked anything on it yet, I have been using my father in laws char grilled. This thing is cheep thin metal and hard to cook on. So I bought some stove fiberglass rope gasket to seal the cooking chamber. I ran it on the inside edge of the lid with the supplied adhesive and used clamps to keep it in place while it dried. After I felt it was dry I closed the lid and lit a fire. I was quite happy to see almost no smoke leak. I opened the lid and it all fell off! What did i do wrong? What can i do?

superlazy
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
did you scuff the surface up good? I have to reseal our wood burning stove every few years and have never really had a prob. except for glue on my hands

1911Ron
05-13-2012, 09:42 PM
You could try tin foil on the edge of the lid and body, a couple of layers should do.

Ponty56
05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I know the foil trick, but I want something a bit better. I will scuff it up real good next time and see what happens. I bought two kits just incase this happened.

Midnight Smoke
05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
This thing is cheep thin metal and hard to cook on. So I bought some stove fiberglass rope gasket to seal the cooking chamber. What can i do?

Save up and buy a better Smoker. :wink:

superlazy
05-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Save up and buy a better Smoker. :wink:

Good advice

I had been using a older brinkman offset for about 10yrs. pretty well built but a PIA
We recently got a wsm and its night and day. last night I did my 1st over night on the wsm
I slept all night and used about 3/4 of a bag of k blue on a 9pm to 4pm cook
The money you save on charcoal alone will pay for the smoker

plakers
05-14-2012, 12:22 AM
I had never tried to seal up my char-griller offset. It was undependable, couldnt leave it alone for more then half and hour, used alot of fuel.

Recently built a UDS, will never try to smoke on the offset again.

I may one day buy a better offset or a vertical( or make one) but never a cheap one, in the mean time the char-griller makes a good charcoal grill and the firebox is good for nothing.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
05-14-2012, 01:09 AM
I had never tried to seal up my char-griller offset. It was undependable, couldnt leave it alone for more then half and hour, used alot of fuel.

Recently built a UDS, will never try to smoke on the offset again.

I may one day buy a better offset or a vertical( or make one) but never a cheap one, in the mean time the char-griller makes a good charcoal grill and the firebox is good for nothing.

Ive had the same experience with the chargriller, I put the rotisserie and added the heat plate to the firebox and at least get good use out of it spinning 4 chickens at a time and keeping stuff hot and ready

Ponty56
05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Got some stainless angle iron to bolt aground the inside of the lid. Now I will have two sides of steel for the glue to stick to for the rope gasket. I think i will buy another kit and put some between the cooking chamber and the fire box. So far I have spent very little with good outcome, so when I get it mostly sealed it should prove to be more reliable.

superlazy
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Inquiring minds want to know how deep $$$ wise are you at this point?
Any pr0n?

Ponty56
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
no pr0n as of yet because im on attempt two.... i have less than $150 into everything right now.

Texas Turtle
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I used high temp silicone (red) seal on my COS and it worked fine. Put it on the smoke chamber, let it set for 30 minutes, covered it with wax paper and closed the lid for an hour. Pulled off the wax paper and I had the perfect seal. Made a huge difference in how well the thing cooked. So I sold it in a grage sale and bought a big ol' heavy duty offset at Academy. No smoke leaks with that bad boy and it came with all the mods factory installed.

dae06
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Got some stainless angle iron to bolt aground the inside of the lid. Now I will have two sides of steel for the glue to stick to for the rope gasket. I think i will buy another kit and put some between the cooking chamber and the fire box. So far I have spent very little with good outcome, so when I get it mostly sealed it should prove to be more reliable.

Pretty much the same thing I did on my chargriller, except I mounted the angle iron on the outside and put the grapho-glas around the outside. Worked like a charm. Although it now sits all by itself, unused ever since I built my UDS. I'll never go back

Jethro608
05-18-2012, 11:50 PM
64797Sand lightly,wrap in cling wrap close lid wait 1 day till you can't smell it any more. Open remove cing wait till you can't smell it 6479864800then enjoy.note rev. Flow with in 15-25 dgr. Diff side 2 side 64799lovining it + j.b. weld all inside seams ( high temp) go all the way with mods you will love this thing.6479964801

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

FireChief
05-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Last fall I saw a char broil offset smoker on sale at target so I bought it. I had never smoked anything on it yet, I have been using my father in laws char grilled. This thing is cheep thin metal and hard to cook on. So I bought some stove fiberglass rope gasket to seal the cooking chamber. I ran it on the inside edge of the lid with the supplied adhesive and used clamps to keep it in place while it dried. After I felt it was dry I closed the lid and lit a fire. I was quite happy to see almost no smoke leak. I opened the lid and it all fell off! What did i do wrong? What can i do?

I did the same exact thing on my Duo with the exact same results. Lasted one smoke and then fell off. After that I used foil to seal up the leaks. Saved up and finally bought an expenseive Horizon offset.

That said, just roll with it. I learned to cook with what I had and am glad for it. Made me a better cook and makes me really appreciate what I have now. These types of cookers are a good, cheap entry point to get you going. If you get serious about it get yourself a serious cooker. Otherwise get a WSM if you want good BBQ but don't want to fool much with it.

slow-smoker
05-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I added rope insulation to my cheap smoker and it lasted about 3 cooks before it started turning loose. I used my rivet tool to secure it.
Just drill a rivet size hole every 6 to 8 inches and pop in a rivet (see upper right hand corner in photo). Not perfect but it keeps the rope from pulling off.

Ponty56
05-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I think this is the way I will go! Do I need to use a stainless steel rivets?

slow-smoker
05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
It shouldn't matter. I think I used steel, but you can get them in aluminum also.