PDA

View Full Version : Salmon on the smoker

JRB
05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Got some salmon on the smoker. Internal temp is 136ish. I am not sure when to pull it. It has been on for 6 hours at 150 degrees. 64580

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mr0uqp

dadsr4
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
On my Weber kettle, I cook fish until it flakes with a fork.

JRB
05-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks, i marinated it in yo****a's sauce so it does not flake per say. I just tried a piece and it is done. Thanks for the input.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0cwwas

dadsr4
05-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks, i marinated it in yo****a's sauce so it does not flake per say. I just tried a piece and it is done. Thanks for the input.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0cwwas

It will still "flake" as in it will separate with the fork, unlike uncooked fish.

SheppsBBQ
05-13-2012, 04:34 PM
When white albumen appears on salmon at the middle 'seam?', it is done. Whether cooked or low smoked. Looks awesome!

Gore
05-13-2012, 05:26 PM
It all depends on how you like it. If it is uncured, I would say it is overdone. If it is cured for me, I would say it is done. If it is for my wife, then it is underdone. It's a matter of preference.

logic
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I usually go with the "flake with a fork" method. But when my girl cooks fish, it seems more done than my fish. I dunno. But this post sure does make me want to smoke some fish.

Honest_John
06-22-2012, 01:31 AM
JRB, the salmon looks a bit dry in your pic. There's flakey where you get big dry flakes, and then there;s flakey Cooking salmon should be simple, but don't mistake a salmon for a chunk of beef or pork. The meat is thinner and more delicate.

What kind of taste are you trying to achieve? If you like true smoked salmon, the kind where the brining and smoking are for preserving the fish for as long as possible, then brine it for hours in a heavy brown sugared brine, by all means.

If you're looking for a dinner this afternoon or tonight, then keep it real simple. I just use a little sea salt, pepper and maybe some lemon zest along with rosemary and fresh sage. It should be done at a low (250 F) or slightly higher temp in about 20 to 30 minutes. The orange color should be turning to pink and be almost transluscent. If you like smokey flavor, then traditionally, the Native Tribes used red cedar to cook with. Remove the skin before planking because the skin can insulate the fish and keep it raw on the plank side. SheppsBBQ is right about the white albumin. It should be leaking from every pore by that point.
Want a more savory taste? Then make a glaze from country Dijon-type mustard and either honey or brown sugar. Slather it on top with your garden herbs and grill it for about 20 to 30 minutes, also.
If you're really hating your grill, use lime and lemon juice and make a seviche or just vacuum bag it and put it into warm water for about 40 minutes for a sous vide dish. Then again, if you hated BBQ and grilling, why be on this forum?

BTW, sous vide is for those who don't know how to BBQ.