PDA

View Full Version : Wicked Good Barbeque(IQUE) Brisket question??

SmokeFan
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Has anybody else tried this from the book?

I'm cooking the brisket from the WGB book right now. I'm almost to the foiling stage where it tells to add the Beef BBQ Marinade into the foil boat. Briskie temp at 158 right now.

Thing is, the posted recipe makes alot of marinade. And the brisket recipe never mentions how much to put in with the brisket. It looks like if I added all of it, I'd be boiling the brisket in it. Is that the technique? Is it just up to the bottom 1/3 as is braising. Or, just enough to have some juices in the bottom?

Probably a really stupid question, but I'm trying to to this as exactly as I can.

(ok, I did sub SM Sweet and Spicy and Butcher's premium for the rubs. I did however make the homemade injection, and the Dalmation rub as called for. Freshly ground my own chipotles and all...)

Thanks!

CarolinaQue
05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
If you look at page 43, on the left hand side of the info text, it lists the ingredients needed for the recipe. It call for 3/4 cup of the Beef BBQ Marinade in my book.

Further in the process of the recipe, on page 45, it says:

"Remove brisket from foil and pour accumulated juices into a cup or bowl. Place the brisket fat-side up on the foil(meaning fresh foil, read the paragraph prior). Allow the meat to release its steam by resting for roughly 10 minutes. Pour the reserved marinade over the brisket and wrap tightly in foil. Place the meat in an empty cooler (with no ice), and let it rest for 2 hours.

SmokeFan
05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks! I ended up putting 1 cup in, and reserved the rest.

So at least I was close. Doing the fork test every 30 min right now as suggested in the book(and here and everywhere). Mine wasn't quite ready at 200, or after the suggested cook times. Parts of it are fork tender, but I'm going for the whole thing. She's about to give up, at least I hope so...

CarolinaQue
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I've had to take them to 210* to get them to that point. Just be careful and release the steam for the 10 minutes before re-foiling before resting it. Other wise, it will way over cook!!!

Pig Daddy
05-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Was the brisket salty to you at all? I thought twice about using the dalmation rub, but did it anyway. And, well, it was very salty. Everyone else liked it though.

CarolinaQue
05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Was the brisket salty to you at all? I thought twice about using the dalmation rub, but did it anyway. And, well, it was very salty. Everyone else liked it though.

I agree that the Dalmation Rub is very salty. Definately not one I think I'll make again!!!

Skidder
05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Chris Hart is on Facebook. Friend him sometime if you have future questions I'm sure he will answer them for you.

SmokeFan
05-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I really didn't think the Dalmation rub, as I applied it, was all that salty. I didn't heavily apply it, and there were lots of other competing flavors from the other rubs.

I got alot more of the black pepper flavor out of it than I did the salt. Had I applied it as generously as I did the others, I think it certainly could have have ended up on the salty side. Having said that, with the fresh ground chipotle pepper and garlic, I thought the Dalmation rub would make a really tasty fajita rub, or simple Santa Maria Tri Tip clone rub.

This was just an el cheapo select brisket from HEB(on sale at that), and I really think the injection saved my rear. Parts of it ended up a little bit over done, as I was waiting on one spot to get fork tender. It wasnt exactly dry, and certainly not tough, which I'll attribute to the injection, but I probably should have pulled it 30-45 minutes earlier.

I really liked the flavor profile overall, and thought the marinade, while not a typical bbq flavor profile for me, was really tasty.

The adults we had over seemed to like the brisket, but the kids not so much. I think it was a bit overpowering for the kiddos. Except for my son(age 6), bless his heart. He had seconds last night, and woke up this morning claiming he loved it, and wanted more today.

AustinKnight
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Thats a good boy eating his proteins, try to get choice or better when doing brisket I find you get a lot better end product.

As for salty Dalmatian rub you have to weigh the K salt, B pepper, and salt free lemon pepper (Mrs. Dash) all to equal parts and it won't be salty at all I use it on everything as my first layer of flavor.