PDA

View Full Version : Non-alcoholic beer

rbinms33
08-31-2005, 01:56 PM
No, I don't drink it. But I had some left over from a previous party. It's Busch NA and O'douls. I was going to pour it out but was wondering, could I use it cooking in place of regular beer? beer can chicken? sauces? Or go back to option 1 and pour out?

Arlin_MacRae
08-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Use it, Richie. The alcohol burns off and really doesn't effect meat that much anyway, but those 'beers' will still have malts and hops that will impart some flavor.

Kevin
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Yep, what Arlin said. The alcohol burns off when heated anyway. Odouls aint realy that bad. Don't make a habit of drinking it, but when riding the scooter it's sometimes prudent.

Kevin

qman
08-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Yup, I'd say use it too. And if ypu want to use it in a marinade or sauce or something where you think the alcahol is important, you can get back close to standard alcohoic content by adding about one ounce 80 proof vodka per can.

dapittboss
08-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Yup, I'd say use it too. And if ypu want to use it in a marinade or sauce or something where you think the alcahol is important, you can get back close to standard alcohoic content by adding about one ounce 80 proof vodka per can.

Or just use it as is and drink the ounce vodka shot...

icemn62
08-31-2005, 02:50 PM
I have drank the O'douls a few times. not bad, but would not go out looking ofr it. Kinda a waste of time to drink NA beer to me. Anyway if you are using it for cooking, should have no problem. Of course you can have fun and bartend for a friend and give it to him in mug, or glass. Just let him think he is drinking real beer. Then watch him get "drunk".

VitaminQ
08-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Seems like I read a piece in Cook's Illustrated where they determined that the alcohol doesn't necessarily burn off when heated. I'll look it up when I get home.

rbinms33
08-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Cool.....I'll try it. At least now I can take it out of the fridge and put it on the shelf to make room for the real brew. Thanks.

spicewine
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
That's about all it is good for!! Great to finish Brats in!!

Solidkick
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
That's about all it is good for!! Great to finish Brats in!!

Damn.......I was gonna say that.......Johnsonville Brats, onions and beer, steamed together.......finished on the grill.........I'm hungry now........

rbinms33
08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Just let him think he is drinking real beer. Then watch him get "drunk".

Ice.....never done that with beer but growing up, some buddies and I played a trick on a guy. Took a cigarette, cut the filter off it and rolled it on both ends. Gave it to a guy and told him it was one of them there "special" cigarettes. He actually thought it was the real thing too. It was hiliarious watching him get "high" and then telling him the truth later.

Sense-marlboro mod

icemn62
08-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Just let him think he is drinking real beer. Then watch him get "drunk".

Did it once in high school at a party. Told everybody the punch was spiked when in truth it only had 7UP added. Watched one girl actually get sick from it.

rbinms33
08-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Heheheheh.....the mind and the tricks it can play.

Wayne
08-31-2005, 11:48 PM
I have been known to drink NA beer every once in a while. I have noticed that it seems to be best when I have been working my butt off and need a big drink. The alcohol in regular beer can dehydrate you but the NA beer does not. It also is not sweet like normal soft drinks. I use to be a long distance runner ('bout 100 lbs ago) and it worked as well for me as anything after a run. You can gulp down a couple of these and it really quinches your thirst. Now after saying that I will also say that when you want a good beer then this stuff will only leave you wanting. It is not a "good beer", but for a non-sweet thirst quincher it will do fine.

spicewine
09-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Damn.......I was gonna say that.......Johnsonville Brats, onions and beer, steamed together.......finished on the grill.........I'm hungry now........

Don' t forget the Kraut!!----See Ya In Herman---Or will We??

Mark
09-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Beer (any kind), soy sauce, something sweet (syrup, honey, whatever) along with ginger powder, hot pepper powder, onion powder & garlic is my standard marinate. Chicken, pork, beef, roadkill of the day; its all good.