PDA

View Full Version : Cooking 10 Tons of BBQ Mutton

Harpo66
05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
My home town claims the name of fame as the BBQ capital of the world. I'm from there, Owensboro, KY. This is a article about the festival held every May. Like I said over 10 Tons of BBQ Mutton, and in case you don't know what mutton is, it's old sheep, is cooked every year. Over 5000 chickens are cook and several 1000 gallons of burgoo. The article will tell you what burgoo is. Back home we cook on open pits. Hope you enjoy reading about how BBQ is done in my home town.

http://adventureblog.kentuckytourism.com/2011/04/25/owensboros-international-bar-b-q-festival-2/

The mutton is either chopped or sliced. The use a dip that is applied with a mop while cooking. Either you like it or you don't. It's an aquired taste for some. It was for me. Now when I go home the first stop I make is for some mutton. It is on my list of things to learn to cook and do it like back home. Here is a link to a burgoo recipe and dip recipe from the biggest BBQ resturant back home. Gives you and idea whats in each of them.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4145256

grillduo
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
As you state, definitely an acquired taste.
Since I visit Owensboro frequently, I've been to Moonlight B-B-Q. Not really a fan of buffet style dining. Some of the participants are frightening to watch!
Gotta get to the Miller House. Old Hickory bbq could be good, but since I'm working in the area, I'd like (almost NEED) a beer to go with dinner, so they kinda fall off the radar as a result.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
There's no place like KY...My family is from western Kentucky, though..Marshall county. Family has been there over 150 years..I love it there. I try to get out there when I can. Never done the mutton, but I'm not opposed to it either.

Pitts
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I haven't read the entire thing yet, but I wanna know where you get a 75 gallon iron kettle ! Thanks for the post.

Harpo66
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I haven't read the entire thing yet, but I wanna know where you get a 75 gallon iron kettle ! Thanks for the post.

I don't know but I would like to get something around 10 gal myself to make some burgoo in.

Harpo66
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
As you state, definitely an acquired taste.
Since I visit Owensboro frequently, I've been to Moonlight B-B-Q. Not really a fan of buffet style dining. Some of the participants are frightening to watch!
Gotta get to the Miller House. Old Hickory bbq could be good, but since I'm working in the area, I'd like (almost NEED) a beer to go with dinner, so they kinda fall off the radar as a result.
The thing about Moonlite is if you new to mutton and burgoo you can try and see what you like and then go get all you want that you really like. I myself stay with the Sliced Mutton and the Burgoo.

jestridge
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Love the Moonlite mutton, also love their brunch on Sunday.

SmokinAussie
05-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Now that is a place I have got to get too!

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2