PDA

View Full Version : Probe holder?

hart316
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
About to pull the trigger on a CyberQ and wanted to have all my items gathered to submit my final order to avoid the dreaded... "ahhh... I forgot to order that too, now I gotta pay more shipping fees" LOL!

Wasn't sure about the need for the BBQ Guru Probe Tree. Looks as it would work great, but not sure about dropping $18 for it, and was wondering if there were any cheaper alterantives that will last, besides the cork method?

Thanks!

Bebe
05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
potatoes... and you get to eat them too :-P

get the tree, it's nice... yes, i know, 18 bucks is kinda much for piece of silicone but it's useful.

BruceB
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
You could always drill a probe hole through a small block of wood and place that on the grate; or you could cut a potato in half and shove the probe through it and place cut side down on the grate (of course you have to buy a new potato each cook); or you could roll up a ball of aluminum foil and jam the probe through it and place it on the grate, or you pay the $18 for the probe tree like I did 5 years ago and it will last forever.

hart316
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I just wanted to see if there was a way to save a few bucks, but it seems in the long run, the tree is the way to go. Feedback is always nice!

BTW... since I don't have a side table or cart for my wsm, I plan on getting the cyberq with 8' probes (perhaps blower ext. cable too), so I can place the unit on the floor (in a watertight case). As i'm not sure if the 6' or stand set will suffice, hate to get it and not have adequte spacing. Again, trying to save a few bucks, but not always the best scenario in the long run.

Who said perfect BBQ was cheap... LOL!!! It is priceless though!

Pappy
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
What is a probe tree?

My thermometer came with a clip. I prefer to use the small block of wood method. I have several holes in it, for more than one probe. I don't like to set the probe on the hot grate at any time. So, when not in use, I can just stick it in a hole to hold it. I also have a small nail in the wood to clip my IQ110 probe onto.

Bebe
05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
i have the 6 and 8.. no table for wsm either. I use an old metal paint bucket, upside down, as digi table (chair, tool rest, etc - it's a multifunction bucket, very hi tech)
6' seems to be enough - for a wsm, that is.

realspaazz
05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
If I am measuring grate temp with I stick the probe through a wine cork (use a real cork one not one of those plastic jobbies some of these cheap wines come with) . Free!!! and If you loose it... you have an excuse to open another bottle of wine. (not that I need much of an excuse)

mbshop
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
potato or onion. works perfectly.

Team DD
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Does the probe tree fit into expanded metal grates?