PDA

View Full Version : Prices going thigh high?

huskerfan1200
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Prices go thigh-high as consumers seek dark meat (http://development.postbulletin.com/blogs/breaking_news/2012/04/29/prices-go-thigh-high-as-consumers-seek-dark-meat/)

Thighs and drumsticks are climbing the pecking order as Americans join consumers abroad in seeking flavor that isn’t found in ubiquitous, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The poultry industry used to have trouble finding a market for dark meat, but changing domestic tastes and growing exports to countries that prefer leg quarters are pushing up prices and helping pull the poultry industry out of a deep slump.

I've haven't really noticed a marked increase in price. Anyone else?

sandiegobbq
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Not at all.

Thigh and quarters are the cheapest cut of chicken usually.

Gary_D
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
LOL, at first glance, I thought this story was about the Secret Service in Columbia!

Myrdhyn
05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
They've been the same price here, with virtually no fluctuation in over a year.

Grain Belt
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I get thighs, drummies, and leg quarters really cheap. Usually between .39-1.29 a lb. Just cooked some thighs this weekend at .78 cents a lb. What I have found is that wing prices are getting high. Here they are often a dollar+ a pound more than thighs. I assume this is due to their popularity in recent years as an appetizer and their demand is high.

Mdboatbum
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I hope this is the case. Maybe it'll reduce the ridiculous price of white meat. To me, the delicate flavor of properly cooked breast meat is more susceptible to absorbing the flavors of sauces and marinades, making it more versatile. Plus, even on it's own with minimal seasoning, if it's cooked right white meat is wonderful. The "cooking right" is the variable. 160˚ and OFF THE HEAT right away. Let it rest and it'll be perfectly moist. Even if you don't brine. More so if you do.
I don't hate dark meat, in fact I love it when eating chicken off the bone. But I think if it's used in a dish, the flavor of the meat tends to permeate the entire thing. If that's the flavor you're going for than great, but too often I've made a delicately flavored sauce or soup, only to have the flavor completely overpowered by the flavor of dark meat chicken or turkey.

teej
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I usually buy leg quarters for about $.55/lb and won't pay much more than that. Other cuts are much more expensive with the breast being the highest and probably wings after that.

Myrdhyn
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I usually just wait to catch BLSL breasts on sale (this weekend I got some for ~0.89/lb), so for me wings are usually the most expensive (on average 1.99/lb) chicken. I'd say my thighs and drumsticks usually are in the 0.45-1.19 range pending on sale prices and nonsale prices. I haven't bought leg quarters in a while.

idrivefast
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I get thighs, drummies, and leg quarters really cheap. Usually between .39-1.29 a lb. Just cooked some thighs this weekend at .78 cents a lb. What I have found is that wing prices are getting high. Here they are often a dollar+ a pound more than thighs. I assume this is due to their popularity in recent years as an appetizer and their demand is high.

There was a cover page story in the City Pages a while back (6 months maybe?) about Buffalo Wild Wings and their local connection. In the article the author actually wrote about the recent rising cost of chicken wings.

Edit: Found the story.
http://www.citypages.com/2011-03-09/news/buffalo-wild-wings-and-the-triumph-of-the-chicken-wing/

"In 2009, for the first time in history, the wholesale price of chicken wings surpassed that of skinless boneless breasts, traditionally the priciest part of the bird. Buffalo Wild Wings now offers boneless wings made of breast meat in a move designed in part to hedge against price-gouging by wing suppliers."

mbshop
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
chicken wings, yes. the rest, nope. went to the buffalo wings place here for the first time yesterday. not that bad. to much sauce for me but the portion was just right.

Learnin Querve
05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Interesting that this post came up today.

Over the last few years, our local market has frequently run 10# bags of leg quarters at $3.90 per bag. Didn't think too much about when I bought a bag in early March and paid $4.90 for the 10# bag. Last week, I looked at their weekly ad and the price was $5.90 per bag.

Even at that price, they're well worth it IMO, they usually weigh over a pound each.

Chris

Big Bears BBQ
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Rib prices are climbing also one of our markets had St.Louis cuts at $14.00. You buy 4 ribs and with tax your talking almost $50.00................

tarheelsmoker
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Haven't seen a real lift in prices yet, and I doubt we will. The poultry industry does a better job that any of the others at reacting to market conditions. Also, a chicken is a whole lot younger at harvest than either beef or pork. If chicken prices were going to go crazy, they would have already. The grain market (for feed)has gone nuts over the past year with the 10% ethanol requirements and the droughts that have taken place over the past year. Also Beef has gone sky high and that will also drive poultry and pork demand. If the ratio of thighs and drums to breasts continues to increase, you can expect the two cuts to become closer in price.

Both ribs and wings have gone up, mostly due to demand for these cuts, as these have become more and more popular, and don't expect prices to fall anytime soon!

Having said all that, I prefer thighs,and I always have. I think they have more flavor and are easier to cook than breasts.

Mike

mr dirts bbq
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
LOL, at first glance, I thought this story was about the Secret Service in Columbia!
i think i just wet myself!

Callahan-que
05-01-2012, 11:22 PM
What I have found is that wing prices are getting high. Here they are often a dollar+ a pound more than thighs. I assume this is due to their popularity in recent years as an appetizer and their demand is high.

Exactly! I remember (barely) when wings were pretty cheap.