PDA

View Full Version : Wives/Girlfriends

IrishSimon
05-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Hey Bros,
Just curious...... my (soon to be) wife just can't get her head around why I love smokin'/grillin' and assumes I'm mad as I like it so much. She just leaves me to it, especially when I start on a new build.
Interested in what other wives/girlfriends reckon on the whole thing and what reactions you guys get.

meatwagon
05-01-2012, 03:19 AM
My girlfriend is a vegetarian. I guess opposites do attract. She's really fairly supportive though. She likes a veggie kebab once in a while and she's a big fan of grilled veggie burgers. It was a sad day though when I started gathering materials for my UDS and I was trying to get her excited about it by mentioning smoked fish. Her comment: "I really don't like the taste of anything smoked... Not even smoked CHEESE!" :tsk: I about had to leave the room.

WvSmoke
05-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Well, I have 7 grills/smokers and a dutch oven pit. She pretty much lets me do whatever I want. However, she drew the line when I mentioned turning her gazebo into an outdoor kitchen.

Wampus
05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
My wife used to roll her eyes until the Q started getting really good. Now she's my biggest fan!:thumb:

jacksedona
05-01-2012, 05:55 AM
my first girlfriend loved bbq and ate everything and left me alone to do whst i wanted.
my exwife thought i was crazy with the grill and smoker
now my future wife is going to have to love bbq and not mind if i drip bbq sauce down my shirt when chewing some baby back ribs! take my bbq test now

http://www.thebarbecuemaster.net/bbq-test.html

deguerre
05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
My wife is Redhot. She out cooks me.:-D

Sometimes...:becky:

Bbqin fool
05-01-2012, 07:03 AM
My wife is starting to enjoy cooking BBQ herself. Which says alot beings how deathly afraid of fire she is. We actually are making a team for competitions. She isso into now that she wants to get me a bubbagrill!

Lake Dogs
05-01-2012, 07:06 AM
My wife loves that I cook and regularly asks when is the next steak or BBQ, etc. My ex-wife invites me over to cook, especially for parties, etc. Going to do this (cook at ex-wifes party) on the 11th...

Guess I need a girlfriend....

Harbormaster
05-01-2012, 07:14 AM
My wife is a picky eater. Only likes my brisket.

When it comes to my 20 cookers it's nothing but complain.

I do outcook her by a longshot.

Bbqin fool
05-01-2012, 07:16 AM
My wife loves that I cook and regularly asks when is the next steak or BBQ, etc. My ex-wife invites me over to cook, especially for parties, etc. Going to do this (cook at ex-wifes party) on the 11th...

That's farkin' great!

Neil
05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
My wife loves all the cooking I do outside and when we end up doing an occasional party, she is right there working with me.

daninnewjersey
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
My wife loves all the cooking I do outside and when we end up doing an occasional party, she is right there working with me.

I'm right there with you....plus mine is really excited to go to the Wildwood, NJ comp this summer......

tallyboy
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
My Wife is very supportive of grilling and BBQing. She does draw the line when I start drooling over the higher $$ pits though!

In general, she is also a good critic along with my three girls so I also get pretty good feedback when I try different rubs, sauces and techniques.

She doesn't care for brisket in general so that sometimes slows me down.

NU2QN
05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I have a feeling this thread will be around for a while. My wife is supportive as well. However, with my most recent addition of a used Traeger 075, I am beginning to get looks when I speak about another build. My way around that is to tell her I am building it for a friend.:twisted:

lastmajordude
05-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I started REALLY cooking outside when my wife took ill @20 yrs ago....and all this time .....no matter how BAD I might screw up the food.....she has NEVER complained and always cleans up:mrgreen:.....she may be blonde but she's got sense enough to know when Papa cooks....she dosen't have to!!!:rolleyes:

nexpress
05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
My wife enjoys the fact I can smoke enough meat on Sunday to last almost all week. So all we have to do is fix a side or two and have dinner. She was also supportive of me ordering my new Lang when I told her it would last forever. :mrgreen:

lastmajordude
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I also tend to be very happy when I'm outside, cooking with clear blue rolling out, with my music or game on the speakers, hootch in hand, and dog at my side......best part of my day and she probably knows it......

unklechuckles19
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
My girlfriend was very supportive of my first smoker purchase (well, christmas present from my parents) my Bradley 4-rack. Then she just looked at me with a blank stare when I told her I was going to fashion my own UDS out of a steel barrel. She played along well during the build and was very impressed with me (and you guys) when I was done. She's a big fan of the Q that I've been able to turn out.

devious
05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
last weekend my wife told me she was sick of BBQ:shocked: Ive been in contact with a lawyer.:tsk:

Smoke & Beers
05-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Mine loves my brisket and chicken but doesn't care for anything pork, except chops or loin done on the grill...says the smoked pork doesn't agree with her. She doesn't "get" all the work I put into smoking and does not attend any of the comps I go to...she says "that's your thing" but for the most part she is fine with it. Although she did remind me this year that her birthday was on the same weekend as the Smoke In The Spring contest and since I missed her birthday the 2 previous years while at that contest, it would be in our best interest that I be home for her birthday this year...which I did :roll:

Grafixgibbs
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
My girlfriend is a vegetarian. I guess opposites do attract. She's really fairly supportive though. She likes a veggie kebab once in a while and she's a big fan of grilled veggie burgers. It was a sad day though when I started gathering materials for my UDS and I was trying to get her excited about it by mentioning smoked fish. Her comment: "I really don't like the taste of anything smoked... Not even smoked CHEESE!" :tsk: I about had to leave the room.

Grill up some sweet potatoes for her. a little smoke in those is AWESOME!

Grafixgibbs
05-01-2012, 08:08 AM
My wife loves my cooking addiction. As long as I don't get too many cookers. She sees it as a benefit - She doesn't have to cook.

In-fact she loves it so much for my birthday she conned my brother-in-laws into making me a Texas grill with one of our 55 gallon drums. Not quite a UDS but she tried and I love the thing because I can grill and smoke on it.

Skidder
05-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Well after 25 years with mine she still looks at me strange when I'm taking pics of food.

hart316
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
My wife also didn't understand why I was so pumped about getting a wsm and learning to BBQ. Then she tasted the pulled pork, ribs, chicken and brisket.... End of story!!!!

Whenever we go out to certain places, she'll now say "your BBQ is better!". If you BBQ it, they wil come.....around!

New Pal Frank
05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
My wife and I have judged BBQ comps together for two years now. She has always known I had the bug. After cooking on the UDS for a while she gave me the nod for the Backwoods and to start shopping for a camper. Both are now a done deal and first comp is this wekend. We are a two person team. Long story short, she is with me all the way I am so lucky to have such a great lady.

Jaskew82
05-01-2012, 08:21 AM
My wife used to roll her eyes until the Q started getting really good. Now she's my biggest fan!:thumb:

This pretty much sums it up for me.

teej
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
My wife doesn't mind me cooking, but she doesn't like my collection of grills on the back patio. I've gotten it down to 2 and she seems pretty happy with that. Now the only time she complains is when smoke gets into the house and if I leave a big mess.

cameraman
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Also married to a vegetarian. She's thrilled the meat gets cooked outside. We had an open house (moving) and we were doing a major reshuffle with clutter, etc. I offered to move my three Webers from the patio to the garage. She said don't, "they're sexy." Booyah.

Terry The Toad
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM
My wife is an awesome cook, so cooking & eating is a big part of our life. She doesn't mind my smoking addiction. Now, I will admit she doesn't want smoked pork as often as we (my boys and I) do, but she goes along with it.

We've been married for 22 years - so we have figured out how to get along. :grin:

love bbq
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
My wife was not a big meat eater either. However last week she asked for ribs on the uds. I think she's coming around.

deguerre
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
My wife is an awesome cook, so cooking & eating is a big part of our life. She doesn't mind my smoking addiction. Now, I will admit she doesn't want smoked pork as often as we (my boys and I) do, but she goes along with it.

We've been married for 22 years - so we have figured out how to get along. :grin:

So get your wife to join. I did. :becky::thumb:

Zak
05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
My girlfriend is not a good cook so when i came along and started turning out good food she fell in love....with my cooking. Then she was gently let in on my smoking craziness and so far she's more than happy to help and eat whatever i'm cooking, as long as it's not spicy. She loves the smell of charcoal in the early morning, nuff said. She even gives me charcoal as xmas presents on occasion. Gotta love her!!!

Grafixgibbs
05-01-2012, 09:18 AM
My girlfriend is not a good cook so when i came along and started turning out good food she fell in love....with my cooking.

Had a friends wife tell her husband if he died she was going to marry me for my cooking. My wife might not appreciate that though. :shocked:

Mark M
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
My wife is tolerant of my addiction. Like me her favorite is pulled pork. She prefers that I grill (direct heat) tri-tip, and she's not crazy about how much I smell like smoke on the long cook days. But like some of you have already said, she doesn't mind at all when I take the cooking outside so that she doesn't have to do it. But anytime I consider new equipment I have to do a good sales job - she's a CPA and every penny must be justified/accounted for... But all things considered, she's very supportive of my addiction and just smiles and looks the other way.

K-Train
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
My wife doesn't really get it and gets annoyed with me. However her family loves it. Go figure.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
My wife hates when I even talk about Q... If she has to eat it twice a week, she gets really angry. This doesn't stop me though. It's one of the few releases that I have so I just tell her to get over it.. Occasionally she'll make a request if she knows it's going to happen so I try to atleast satisfy her in these instances.

gtr
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
My wife is cool with it. She actually was a vegetarian when we first got together. We moved in together in '93 and I got a 22 1/2" Weber Kettle (still have it) and and ECB (long since replaced by better stuff) and she became carnivorous. She grew up in Memphis, TN and enjoys BBQ on a visceral level. We love to have folks come over often & I'll BBQ and she'll make amazing desserts and sides. :thumb:

I think she's more comfortable with it now that I've been eating less and losing weight - had I continued on the path I was on it would have been an issue, and rightly so.

She did kind of give me a look when I dragged home my 10th or 11th grill/smoker thingee though.

long haired hippie
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
"...She just leaves me to it, especially when I start on a new build."

And the problem is?

Marry her NOW!

fingerlickin'
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I work a ton so I don't get much time to spend with her and the kids so as it is. This is what annoys her more than the BBQ itself. She loves the food though and knows I love to cook it. She's cool about it for the most part but apparently she wants me to spend my free time with her and the kids. I can't decide if she actually likes me or if she's just crazy. :crazy: :grin: Maybe she just thinks the lawn should get mowed once in a while. :noidea:

1FUNVET
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
My wife keeps trying to get me to buy an XL Egg for my birthday. She saw a friend of mines egg and she thinks it's cute :laugh:

GrillinFool
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
My wife doesn't like "smoky" stuff. As long as I'm cooking fish, steaks, (hot and fast), then it's all good.

With two little ones (2 and 4), I don't get much time to go low and slow anymore. No all day brisket cooks much anymore. Damn, I miss brisket.

That being said, I get to do a whole pig on Memorial weekend... We had a luau last year and it was a fantastic time. Can't wait to do it again...

Stoke&Smoke
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
My wife actually had a WSM before me! When we met, almost 12 years ago now, she had a smoky joe "outrider" (similar to the SJ Platinum), a 22.5" kettle, and a WSM that I'll have to figure out it's year of manufacture. It has the wood handles, and it is our go to pork cooker. I used to cook on kettles all the time, but ended up with a Weber gasser when I was with my first wife, because she "didn't like charcoal"

These days I do more of the cooking, but she is very supportive, and LOVES the smell of my clothes when I've been smoking something!

I'm pretty fortunate I think!

Patrickkva
05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
The wife is very supportive of my BBQ habit. Keeps me outta trouble (sorta) and she gets to eat some good food. Her hobby is horses, which is far more *ahem* pricey than my BBQ stuff.

smokeylips
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I am the wife and I do all the grilling, smoking and BBQ! I use mine at least 4 times a week. I have 3 styles of cookers. My husband loves to eat all of it:grin: He might think I'm crazy!

jimithing78
05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
My wife doesn't like "smoky" stuff. As long as I'm cooking fish, steaks, (hot and fast), then it's all good.

With two little ones (2 and 4), I don't get much time to go low and slow anymore. No all day brisket cooks much anymore. Damn, I miss brisket.

That being said, I get to do a whole pig on Memorial weekend... We had a luau last year and it was a fantastic time. Can't wait to do it again...

Sounds about like my wife. I've been known to take days off work so I can make a brisket. I'll get the WSM fired up late at night after she's gone for to bed and then it'll be ready around lunch time the next day.

Jason TQ
05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
My girlfriend loves it and even though she didn't "get it" right away she understands having a passion for something in general. So she asked a lot of questions as she could tell it was something I loved. Then she ate the food and was hooked. Didn't take long to have a cookout at her place with all her friends who are now BBQ converts:razz:. And while I talk about it a lot and she may not get everything I'm talking about, she listens to me babble on every time. I think I'll keep her for a while:grin:.

I never understand when I hear guys who have wives or girlfriends who are annoyed or think this hobby/passion is silly/stupid/annoying because we talk about it a lot or because it is some silly caveman activity or upset that we brought home another cooker. If your significant other truly enjoys something and it makes them happy then support it (as long as you are being responsible about it of course). Like if something this simple annoys you then what the heck are they sticking around for :crazy:. And this goes vise versa too. Support the ladies for whatever they are passionate about even if it seems like something you don't initially find interesting.......end of rant :becky:.

cowgirl
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I want what Guerry and Michele have. :wink:
My ex loved my cooking but didn't support anything I did.

There are worse hobbies out there. Women should be happy that their husbands are at home.....and cooking for them! :becky:

Gasket
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
my wife is originally from Texas. She was born loving BBQ. The real cool thing about it is that she tells me my "Q" is better than alot of the BBQ joints back home. But I think she just says that because she likes me.

porkingINpublic
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I asked my wife if she wanted to go eat BBQ last night at a local restaurant and she said NO... She said I spoiled her on good BBQ and the others just taste bad now. haha. She lies well I guess.

kihrer
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I have been married for 25 years and when I met my wife in the Philadelphia area and brought her back home to Texas, I took her to a BBQ joint. She hated it! over the years I learned that certain smoke woods she hated while others she liked. She won't eat anything cooked with mesquite but she really likes the fruit woods. She now supports me by making our rubs and rubbing our meats for competition. She enjoys spending the time with me and it is a hobby we can do together. She's a great wife and I am lucky to have her.

N8man
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
My LadyFriend doesn't care for
Barbecue, much, unless she's starving.........:tsk:

Hmmmmm....Guessing I may be needing to
trade up, hunh?:twitch:

LoneStarMojo
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I count myself among the lucky ones here. Cathy is very supportive of my BBQ lifestyle. She loves ribs, pulled pork and brisket. She's not a fan of tri tip or german sausage (does love the tri-tip for Philly CheeseSteaks tho), but she never says anything negative no matter how much meat I buy. I do have to keep the heat dialed down on rubs even tho I love the heat and she doesn't. She knows it my biggest passion and loves to brag on me after a successful cook (she has a $3500 sewing/embroider machine for her passion). As far as the arsenal goes, she loves the UDS and the 37.5 inch kettle. And she's all for the future 325 gallon project as long as she gets her new wood flooring and carpet first.

Terry The Toad
05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
So get your wife to join. I did. :becky::thumb:

She does not need any more websites to visit. :rolleyes:

Theboz1419
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
my Girlfriend hates me when I BBQ or smoke or Cook anything, for the simple fact, she is 9000 miles away in Malaysia and all she gets to see are my Facebook pictures or while im using my webcam with me doing BBQ.

At the end of the year she will be coming to the states for a bit and I will be her personal chief while she is here. Hopefully by then my food will taste good, lol.

billham
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
My wife gets it. She doesn't like spicy food and loves it when i make seperate q just for her. However i only have 2 smokers atm and she thinks i'm starting to lose it because i want to build a uds and a smoke house.

Southland
05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
My bride "retired" from cooking a few years ago and does not care how many grills/smokers I buy as long as I bring in the finished product.

cowgirl
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
It really is nice to see how many wifes and GF's support what you all love to do. :cool::wink:

My wife gets it. She doesn't like spicy food and loves it when i make seperate q just for her. However i only have 2 smokers atm and she thinks i'm starting to lose it because i want to build a uds and a smoke house.

Billham, build the smokehouse, I think your Mrs. would love the cold smoked cheeses, honey, nuts, etc.. :grin:

Bro-be-que
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
if it wasn't for BBQ, i probably wouldn't have a wife!

Cack
05-01-2012, 01:25 PM
My g/f is an amazing cook (in the kitchen), and I've just learned where the pots and pans are after living together for over a year. I was always her helper in the kitchen, and I did all the grilling.

When I told her I wanted to get into Qing she was like "ok cool". I knew that was her way of saying "here comes another flavor of the week idea." I bought my current smoker from our neighbor for $25, and it has BEYOND paid for itself.

She said the other day "so what smoker are you looking at next, because I KNOW you've been looking weither you admit it or not." I told her that I was looking at the Lang, and that I know it's "expensive", but it's extremely durable and will last a while. She says "well I guess if it's more of an investment. Then it's not that bad of a dea." I thought CRAP WHY DIDN'T I SAY I WANTED THE LANG 84 INSTEAD!!!!!

Needless to say, my g/f is game with it and doesn't really care as long as my food is good ... oh and that she gets her something shiny soon

We're even going to Memphis in May this year

ksgoosekillr
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
4 pages in and i cant believe no one has said this yet... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! :mrgreen: lets see all these cooks/critics!

Mark M
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
My wife is tolerant of my addiction. Like me her favorite is pulled pork. She prefers that I grill (direct heat) tri-tip, and she's not crazy about how much I smell like smoke on the long cook days. But like some of you have already said, she doesn't mind at all when I take the cooking outside so that she doesn't have to do it. But anytime I consider new equipment I have to do a good sales job - she's a CPA and every penny must be justified/accounted for... But all things considered, she's very supportive of my addiction and just smiles and looks the other way.

What a coincidence, I responded to this thread earlier today in what I "think" were kind words about my wife and look at the e-mail message that she sent me later in the morning:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11336793&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_mmc=BCEmail_2012HomeMailer-_-Banner-_-04-_-MarketingItemName (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11336793&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_mmc=BCEmail_2012HomeMailer-_-Banner-_-04-_-MarketingItemName)

Do you think this might come in handy for the smoker area?

She saw a stainless steel table on Costco's website so she sent me the link. Unfortunately, they were already sold out. I already knew I was lucky, but she just proved it again.

Cack
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM
4 pages in and i cant believe no one has said this yet... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! :mrgreen: lets see all these cooks/critics!

Blurryish ... but ...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/278726_10150255814038130_768858129_7222925_5212193 _o.jpg

---k---
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
My wife was initially supportive, buying me my first ECB. She's become less and less supportive as I've gone from smoking twice a month to a crazy zealot wanting to smoke 40# of meat every week for just the two of us. :shocked: And she is ready to drive me to the funny farm when I bring up sexy $2000+ offset smokers, because, "I have a perfectly good smoker that makes good Q. Why do I need another?".

I jest. My wife is amazingly supportive, but does think I go a little overboard with my hobbies.

Sway
05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
My wife doesn't want abunch of unused stuff just laying around. I only have one smoker and two bbq, one big one and one for camping. Once she found out I was looking for a 55gl drum she brought up the whole crap just sitting around thing again and even told my brother inlaw (who got me the drum) not to offer one to me unless I asked him. Once I found out she told him that I asked her about it, again the crap laying around thing. So I asked her it she didn't want me to be happy, and if that's why she was trying to stop me from getting one? She had nothing to say to that, and now I have two drums.:thumb:

txschutte
05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
My wife supports my hobby wholeheartedly. When we were first married, she complained a bit about the obsession and the cost of me cooking all of the time.

12 years later though, she actually told me that she likes me doing bbq. Many of her friends' husbands spend weekends away at the hunting lodge, or at the bar. Not me. I'm either in the backyard, or at a contest cooking.

deguerre
05-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Awrite den. Here's Redhot with her trophy cut off in one piece shoulder picnic skin. Yep. She's into Q.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/Gotalltherestha.jpg?t=1293073789

Stoke&Smoke
05-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Trophy/shmofy, I'll just hold the beer. Di is the one holding the dog and trophy
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/IronMtn2011/HogWild2011.jpg

Stoke&Smoke
05-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Awrite den. Here's Redhot with her trophy cut off in one piece shoulder picnic skin. Yep. She's into Q.

Why did she want it in one piece?

Cut into little sqares and rendered, they make GREAT chicharones!

deguerre
05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Why did she want it in one piece?

Cut into little sqares and rendered, they make GREAT chicharones!

Oh, we most def did that after the pic was taken.:becky::thumb:

Kitchen shears are your friend.

frognot
05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Married a country girl who outcooks me in the kitchen but she lets me cook outside.

Gotta give Bigmista a plug.

Amazon.com: The Secret to Her Heart (Volume 1) (9781470099763): Mr. Neil P Strawder, Mrs. Phyllis E Strawder: Books

Big Frank
05-01-2012, 04:42 PM
My wife gets it. She doesn't like spicy food and loves it when i make seperate q just for her.

Same here. I have more toys then space. She jokes about my grill graveyard.

redvert05
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I knew that my Q'ing was a hit when my wife exclaimed quite loudly while munching on a rib: "I love your meat"!!! Farkin A! :grin:

smokeyokie
05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
My wife has always loved my cooking, she never understood the obsession but she rolled with it, which was cool. Now she helps me with comps and she is on board with me cooking.... She finally realized that if I am home, up all night, drinking beer or whatever, cooking I am not in a strip club or cheating! the day she came to that realization, is the day I started planning the outdoor kitchen and bbq area... Its all good in my hood!!!!

Sly-one
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
My wife used to look at me funny when I'd take pictures of the food, especially when I take pictures of plated food at the table before I eat. Now, she just ignores me and goes ahead to start eating because she enjoys BBQ so much. Ain't love great?

meatwagon
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Grill up some sweet potatoes for her. a little smoke in those is AWESOME!

Thanks! Great idea! I'll definitely try that. I bet they'd be good with a dusting of rub too, eh? Any recommendations?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mr dirts bbq
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
my wife has no taste buds im sorry to say, she eats mcdonalds and buttered ziti not much else. she refuses to try anything me or anybody cooks, and on multiple occasions i have told her i wished she appreciated food as much as i do. that being said she is on the same boat as smokiyokie's mrs., mine much prefers me in the backyard cooking or in garage welding a new pit then out at the strip joint or bar so she lets me do whatever. the only on going complaint is the cost of my addiction, i told her i plan on doing 2 whole hogs this summer and her first question was the cost of said hunks of meat! lol i said less that your monthly mcdonalds addiction!
also i know what some of you are thinking: i am a great cook & and no she isnt fat either (5'8" and 90lbs) lol

Pitmaster T
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
My wife also used to roll her eyes and actually hated it until I built the funkotorium. When I sold it and moved here I do all my cooking from the massive church kitchen so again, she is cool with not having messes in the house.

As for BBQ... learn how she likes it... no matter how (mine likes is KCBS style so its not bbq at all... just a sticky sweet mess). Do it the way SHE likes it and they complain less... all the rest is "experimentation." Or rather, proper Texas BBQ. As opposed to other states where they make something like BBQ but it is not.

LMAJ
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Being the wife, I have no problem with my obsession...

of course, Big Al fuels the fire so I think he is all good with it. It's ahobby that we now do together

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
What a coincidence, I responded to this thread earlier today in what I "think" were kind words about my wife and look at the e-mail message that she sent me later in the morning:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11336793&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_mmc=BCEmail_2012HomeMailer-_-Banner-_-04-_-MarketingItemName (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11336793&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_mmc=BCEmail_2012HomeMailer-_-Banner-_-04-_-MarketingItemName)

Do you think this might come in handy for the smoker area?

She saw a stainless steel table on Costco's website so she sent me the link. Unfortunately, they were already sold out. I already knew I was lucky, but she just proved it again.

The costco in commerce has them on hand near the casino

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread -

Puppyboy
05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
At first she thought I was a little obsessive but she went with it. Things have changed since we recently opened our catering business.

Ye Olde Party Palace
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm 64 years young with a XX year old girlfriend(I'm too smart to post her age, even if it is within 4 years of mine). She loves me and the food that I grill and smoke. Even asks when I'm going to smoke a brisket or butt. She is excited about the UDS that I am making, as it means more good food coming off the grates. Guess that I better satisfy her needs. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

VoodoChild
05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
last weekend my wife told me she was sick of BBQ:shocked: Ive been in contact with a lawyer.:tsk:

Did No One see that ? I Thought it was Farking FunnY !

Um Wife Is supportive within reason ? I Have a Total of 6 2 gas and 1 of each size weber kettle But no ranch kettle 26.75 is biggest kettle But wife enjoys all kinds of Q so its fun.

Quickdraw
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
My wife is off to the store to buy the pig or cow if I even mention firing up the grill or cooker. She loves it all and is far less picky than I am about my BBQ.

tortaboy
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
My wife is so happy that she no longer needs to cook on a regular basis that she volunteers to rub my meat and pull my membrane.:thumb:

Seriously.

Lake Dogs
05-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Ex-wife called last night.
Oh how demanding women can be!!!

expatpig
05-02-2012, 07:00 AM
They all get used to it sooner or later..
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103094 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103094)

MattCom
05-02-2012, 07:31 AM
My wife grew up in 1st generation Italian family where on Easter there would be a spring lamb roasting outside or even a goat. So the que never scared her at all, she'll try anything I cook.
Although, when I started the UDS build she was like "That is going to be on our patio?" now it's our preferred chicken and rib cooker and it sits glistening in the sun glorifying Barbecue... and yes, it's still on the patio.:thumb:

Dr_KY
05-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey Bros,
Just curious...... my (soon to be) wife just can't get her head around why I love smokin'/grillin' and assumes I'm mad as I like it so much. She just leaves me to it, especially when I start on a new build.
Interested in what other wives/girlfriends reckon on the whole thing and what reactions you guys get.

They all just let me get on with it. lol

BDAABAT
05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
My wife is remarkably supportive, especially considering she doesn't eat the stuff I cook on the smoker. She's just not into food and would be perfectly content with a bowl of CapN Crunch for dinner.... which is why I do the cooking in the family!

She's also quite, ummmmm, thrifty. :). Which means, no Lang or Backwoods, or Peoria cookers in my future.

As long as the price of the cooker stays "reasonable", everything else is all good in her eyes.

Bruce

razrbakcrzy
05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
My wife does the comparison thing every time we eat other than my BBQ also. She really likes BBQ Chicken, pulled pork, pork ribs & wings. She's not to much a fan of Brisket and I really am not to much a fan of Ribs so we eat alot of chicken and Pulled pork.

She thought I was nutz when I told her I was going to make my son a Smoker out of a used 55 gal. drum and cook Thankgiving dinner on it this last Nov. but she is amazed at the Que that comes from them. I now have free reign to make smokers when ever I want I've done (4) since November.

ICTBBQ
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I asked my wife what she wanted for Mother's Day this year and she asked if I could smoke something. Guess that about says it all about how supportive she is. =)

BobM
05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
My wife doesn't get the whole BBQ thing, like why I sit out in our yard drinking beer for hours watching the smoker.
She just likes the food :)

Bob

NoraBBQ
05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Ever since the first time I grilled a steak for her over Kingsford and hickory chunks, she has loved the food I cook on my grills and smokers. She wasn't too thrilled when I drove to Texas to pick up my offset trailer smoker.......but I think she has come around a bit. Overall, I believe she is very supportive of my BBQ hobby/addiction. But that doesn't keep her from flipping me crap about how many grills or bbq supplies I have.

Harbormaster
05-03-2012, 12:02 AM
...that doesn't keep her from flipping me crap about how many grills or bbq supplies I have.

That's where most of the pissin' and moanin' comes from here too.

She seems to think that since I have 20 cookers I have a problem.

I did.

But now I'm building a shed. I'll have a place to keep them now, so problem solved!

lcbateman3
05-03-2012, 06:16 AM
My wife is very very supportive of my habit. We actually do comps together. Talk about BBQ regularly, and come up with new ideas to try. She was the one that actually got me heavily into grilling which lead into smoking which lead into comps. So really its her fault :)

Tonybel
05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Im very lucky....My wife loves BBQ and enjoys being out there with me. Boxing, cowboys, dodgers and lakers she enjoys all of my sports and we party!!!! We have 2 small toddlers and they love BBQ.