PDA

View Full Version : Safe Zone Question

f308gt4
04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I am in the middle of an overnight pork butt cook. Got them from Costco in a 15 pound package (2 butts).

Had the IQ110 set to 225, and maverick ET73 with 2 food probes, one in each butt. Put them in at ~8:30 PM last night, and all was good. I am a light sleeper, and would periodically check the temp on the ET73. I noticed at about 2:30ish that the temp as 147 in both butts. At around 3AM, noticed the temps had dropped to 143 in one of them and 145 in the other.

Decided to go out and check. The green light was blinking on the IQ110, and I noticed that the BGE temp was reading less than 100 degrees. Yep, fire was out. Took everything out, stirred up the coals, and re-lit the fire. Set the IQ110 to 250 just in case. While doing all this, I noticed that by the time I got the fire going and stable again, 4AMish, the temp had dropped to 126 in one butt and 130 in the other.

Butts are still going now, 167 in one, 163 in the other. Green light is on on the IQ110, smell from the BGE is heavenly.

I've been doing some searching, and I think I should be OK with them, but wanted to confirm with the brethren.

CLIFF NOTES: Fire went out, temp dropped from 147 to 126 over the course of ~1.5 hours- Fire relit, and butts back on. Am I safe to eat?

Thanks!

Still Smokin
04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised no one chimed in. You likely had the exterior of the meat past 160 and it was only down for a short period, I think you would be fine. Just think about all the times a 180 pound hog is cooked, the interior meat takes a long time to reach 140.

f308gt4
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks. Thing is, I'm not sure that the temp hit 160. I think 147 may have been the max, but honestly, can't say for sure, since I was sort of sleeping, or at least trying to.

You may be right. At least I hope so, because the back yard smells soooo good.

This stall thing is going slow. Current temps are 172 in one butt, and 169 in the other.

Im hoping to eat some pulled pork for lunch today...

charlie d
04-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks. Thing is, I'm not sure that the temp hit 160. I think 147 may have been the max, but honestly, can't say for sure, since I was sort of sleeping, or at least trying to.

You may be right. At least I hope so, because the back yard smells soooo good.

This stall thing is going slow. Current temps are 172 in one butt, and 169 in the other.

Im hoping to eat some pulled pork for lunch today...

Probably going to be a late lunch, especially if you rest them. I guess you could foil them if you really want can't wait.
I see you used two ET73 meat probes...maybe you could use the pit probe next time too so it will alarm you if the temp drops.

f308gt4
04-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Well, we had a not too late lunch after I pulled the first butt. Didn't let it rest much, but it still was really good. The other butt stayed on for about another hour, then we let it rest for an hour and pulled.

The nice thing is that with 15 lbs of meat, we had plenty left to freeze for future meals.

Yes, I used 2 food probes on the ET732, since I was doing 2 butts, and figured between the IQ110 and the high-que grate I was using (just got it on Friday!), I shouldnt have any problems. Oh well, live and learn. Perhaps I should have set it to 250 instead of 225?

Happy Hapgood
04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Butts are very forgiving.