PDA

View Full Version : Attached Deck & Smoker Safety

jmellor
04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
We have a walkout basement and my deck is raised a story off the kitchen. I have my gas Weber up there and a couple kettles. I have a fire/grill mat I use under them but being nervous I am pretty careful about it.

I have seen plenty of horror stories about attached decks and grills/smokers.

That said, I am contemplating either a BGE/Primo type ceramic or a gravity smoker like a Stumps Baby in the future. Is there a safe way to use these on a deck like this for long overnight type cooks? Or should I just avoid that all together.

landarc
04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I can't see how there would be a problem with a solid and secure base, the ceramic itself stays cool enough that unless it tips, there are no points hot enough to cause ignition. Use a firemat, make sure it is stable and tip proof, it will be no more dangerous than any other cooker.

Hankdad1
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
In the past I've only had my gasser on the deck right outside the kitchen (very convenient) and have used my charcoal grills and smokers in the driveway. Now I bought a Chargriller Akorn a few weeks back and use it on the deck. I light the lump in the grill with Weber lighter cubes or cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol. The grill will reach temps of 500 degrees in 20 minutes. With these lighting methods and the dampers on the grill I'm very comfortable with it on the deck. And I'm loving the Akorn!

jmellor
04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks. Good to know.

Anyone who can way in on Stumps/Superior style smoker? Assuming since its well insulated it should be similar?

TomB
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I use a grill pad from lowes under my gasser and wsms on my wood deck. Can't copy link. Sorry. The pad is heat resistant.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Texas Turtle
04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
A friend set fire to his boat dock when he left his grill going and went back in the house to check on his wife's portion of the menu. The rest of those present got a good chuckle when he looked out the back window and dashed for the hose. Next day he bought several deck boards and a fire mat.

Vision
04-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Get a fire mat and a maverick thermometer- which has an alarm if there is a significant temp change.

fingerlickin'
04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I use mine on my deck all the time. Now I'm not the smartest guy out there either. I still don't have a mat under the thing. I can't find one big enough, I think I'm just going to have to use 2 of them. The grease stain is from my propane smoker leaking bacon fluid all over the farking place. It's trex too btw. It only cost me like 7 grand. :doh:

Because I never light a chimney I don't really worry about it catching on fire. There are a couple occasional sparks when I'm using my map torch depending on which charcoal I'm using. Royal Oak sparks but Wicked Good doesn't. I'm planning on adding a kettle to my arsenal at some point and that I won't be using on the deck.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/shellddy/IMG_1239-1.jpg

Goddahavit
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Good to know.

Anyone who can way in on Stumps/Superior style smoker? Assuming since its well insulated it should be similar?

Not sure what are you looking for? I use a stumps, gasser, pig cooker and bubba keg on a deck, its all stained due to it being my cooking deck, i look at it better than thompsons, lol, I use a oil drip pan under the stumps to catch some of the mess, but its insulated so no coals get out unless you dump them out?

P.S. make sure the deck is built for the weight, lol my stumps is over 600 lbs... before meat.

jmellor
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I do have the fire/grill mat and the Maverick which will help a lot.

I guess I am mostly looking for a solution I can leave unattended for overnight cooks, attend my kids games, running errand etc.

I am sure that's probably not the best idea to leave a smoker going and leave the house. But with my COS in the middle of the yard I feel less worried about it...just the COS is well...a COS and requires alot of tending.

Being able to have something on the deck, insulated to use year round, and safe to leave for a couple hours would be awesome.

Goddahavit
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Might want to consider a backwoods as well.

jmellor
04-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Not sure what are you looking for? I use a stumps, gasser, pig cooker and bubba keg on a deck, its all stained due to it being my cooking deck, i look at it better than thompsons, lol, I use a oil drip pan under the stumps to catch some of the mess, but its insulated so no coals get out unless you dump them out?

P.S. make sure the deck is built for the weight, lol my stumps is over 600 lbs... before meat.

Thanks. That was what was looking for....The vertical smokers seem to be very well contained/insulated. Just wanted some opinions. I should be OK for weight but good point.

mjl
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Having lived a deck "horror" story, I appreciate your interest in safety. I always felt pretty safe using my Stump's or Superior, it is very nearly a closed system. The chances of ash getting out the ball valve are minimal, and with a Guru type drafter controller, virtually non existent IMHO. By way of comparison, I always cook with my WSM's on concrete, my worry being the same vents that let air in, could also possibly let some ash out. I realize it is a very small possibility, but why risk it? As with the larger cookers, I think a draft controller would virtually rule out that possibility. Not exactly sure how the lower air intakes work on a BGE, but it is food for thought. I also now have a fire extinguisher ready, regardless of which of my cookers I choose to cook on. Safety first.

Matt

qnbiker
04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I use a WSM on my deck and do overnights all the time. I have a platform made of pavers under it. No problem.

crabboy
04-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not worried about the egg on overnighters, but I do have quite a few burn marks in the deck from the chimney. I start that on the gas grill burner and it drops down chunks of small red coals all the time. A fire mat is on the todo list, just keep forgetting to pick one up.

shirknwrk
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I have to keep and eye on my Egg since I switched to the High-Q stainless fire grate. It will allow pea sized embers to drop through the bars and continue burning in the area where the ash collects. I've had a couple pop out onto the deck when I didn't have the screen closed on the lower vent. With the screen closed... or the Guru in place, I have no worries about overnight cooks. Need to get a fire mat, though.