PDA

View Full Version : Vision Grill, Pro, or BGE

spincast
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Hello Brethren,

I know that this is already getting some discussion but I'm really tempted by the Costco deal on the Vision Grill ($500) and need to know if there is a substantive difference with the BGE.

Costco has great warranty support, and honestly both are knock offs of traditional kamado grills, so what's the big diff? (VG built in China, BGE built in Mexico, both have good warranties.) I checked the VG out and it looks on the surface of things pretty well built, sturdy hinge and stand, and the cap looked good too. For $500 it's half the price of the large BGE similarly equipped. Is it really half (or less) the quality?

Also, the VG Pro at Home Depot ($700) has a pull out tray at the bottom to remove ash. I've never used a ceramic cooker but it seems that would be useful. I expect to use lump charcoal and wood for flavor, so I'll need to get ash out somehow. Scooping it out from the top seems like a pain in the a&$. To all you existing users out there, is it?

All thoughts welcome. Die hard fans...flame away! (just not at me)

Ron_L
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
I've never seen the Vision Grill, so I can't comment on that, but you don't scoop the ashes out of a BGE from the top. The vent door at the bottom opens all the way and you can scrape them out through that door easily.

kennyd0118
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
A lot of people add in the cost of the stand and the side tables when comparing the other grills with the BGE. The question is, do you want the stand and side tables? If not, the price drops right in line with the BGE. I checked out the VG at costco. It look pretty good. A little thinner maybe but looked OK.

Disclaimer: I own a LG BGE and love it. No regrets.

-Kenny

DerHusker
04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
All things being equal I would buy a BGE, Primo, Grill Dome or Saffire but the price wasn’t near equal so I ended up with a Costco Vision kamado. Is it exactly equal to those others? No I don’t think so but it fit into my budget. It does a good job and I have very few regrets.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DerHusker/DerHusker%20Grilling/IMG_3065.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/DerHusker/DerHusker%20Grilling/IMG_3070.jpg

jon s
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree... The Vision firebox is not 100% round... the diameter changes in different areas. Accessories for the Vision is a bit more difficult to find but available. But it still costs 50% lerss than the BGE.

Baby Back Maniac
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I have 2 eggs and they are great, but with Costco's warranty and Visions good reputation and nifty ideas, I'd try the Vision first for the price. I would probably avoid the "pro" version just because I'd be afraid all that fancy stuff would eventually lead to air leaks and you would not have Costco backing you if it does.

If you are happy with it, why spend more? If you are not, you can get your money back. You can't lose.

Greg1911
04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
The Vision doesn't look bad at all and I seem to be drawn to them everytime I'm in Costco.

My active aversion to buying from China and my plans to build a table for a Kamado keep me from snagging one.

spincast
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
People with experience (or 2nd hand knowledge), is there a performance difference btwn the BGE and VG? Like, does it not hold temperature well? Or is it just about accessories and such. There is a plate setter and pizze stone at Home Depot for it. That's pretty much all I'd want.

Thoughts?

quad150db
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I have both a large BGE and Vision from Costco.. I absolutely love the Vision Kamado..

Have done ribs, brisket, steaks, burgers, Pork chops and tonight was Pizza and all came out great.. Haven't had any problems with maintaining temp at all..

jon s
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
The Vision may not be built as good as the BGE, it is still a great value considering what comes with the unit... I wonder if the firebox assembly from the BGE would fit the Vision?

spincast
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow, thanks all for the input. I'll post if I bite the bullet!

BigBlock
04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I am getting ready to buy a ceramic cooker an I am caught between the bayou classic and the vision. I like the slot for the electric starter on the vision but its made in China and the bayou classic is made in the good ole USA

RAZORBACK JIM
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Spincast...I have the Vision Pro Kamado and love it. I have no problems with holding any temp I want to cook at. I find myself using my Bubba Keg more...just because I have cooked on it more and know it better.

quad150db
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a few pics of my last cook using the Vision in my thread..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131559

spincast
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks all. Glad to hear that the Vision has some credibility.

quad150db nice looking pics!

expatpig
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Our local Canadian Tire Store started carrying the Vision Pro, it looks like a quality product it's priced here @ $799. comparable BGE $1299.

sandiegobbq
04-26-2012, 05:41 PM
How much are those vision grills at Costco now?

pattyp
04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
I would give it a shot. Can't go wrong

nucornhusker
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I have cooked on a Vision Pro, and I own a Kamado Joe.

The Vision's pull out ash tray (on the Pro model) is a really great idea, and is a hell of a lot nicer to clean out. But it and the electric starter port can leak some air, and make it more difficult to manage temp (bring it down) and shut it down since some air still leaks in.

Also, there is a bigger gap between the heat diffuser and fire pot side on the Vision vs. the KJ. So watch out for direct heat under your food there.

But all things said, the Vision is a great deal.

Ross
04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
The Vision may not be built as good as the BGE, it is still a great value considering what comes with the unit... I wonder if the firebox assembly from the BGE would fit the Vision?

I was wondering the same. But factor in the price of a large BGE firebox added to the Vision, you've basically matched the price of a large BGE... unless you were to find a second hand one on CL or something.

sandy1975
05-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a few pics of my last cook using the Vision in my thread..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131559

Your pizza looks good but the top looks like it needs to be done more. I think the BGE has a plate setter that better distributes the heat than the vision so the top gets done at same time as the bottom. I am thinking about getting the vision but my concern is that there isn't a plate setter like the BGE. I think they only have a stone which may not work as good.

quad150db
05-02-2012, 02:19 AM
I have both the BGE W/ Platesetter and the vision..

I can say that it makes no virtually no difference. I didn't give the the cooker enough time to really heat up the dome so that it could radiate heat back down on the pizza and brown the top..

sandy1975
05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
why did you buy the vision if you already have the BGE?

Bob.a.q.Shep
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I use a kids sand box plastic shovel to scoop the ashes out.

gnwes
05-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I would have bought a vision, but the three they had had home depot were all chipped pretty badly on the lid and base. I would under stand abuse if it were just one but it was all three and they were in different places around the store. I ended up buying a large green egg and i love it. It may be a coincidence that all the VG's i saw were damaged but it was enough to make me look elsewhere... ymmv as well as others.

VoodoChild
05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Just Finally saw these at costco and was impressed for the $

spincast
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Bought it last night. It's in the garage awaiting assembly and fire up. Will report in soon.

Lionsandwings
05-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I was recently shopping for a ceramic cooker went with the Kamado Joe.
In my area...
BGE $1099
Kamado Joe $799
Costco Vision $579

I did a lot of research online and couldn't find one review that put the BGE ahead do the KJ in quality so I saved the $300 and got the KJ.

I looked at the vision but I spent the extra money on KJ becaue, well I'm not really sure why. I didn't like the stainless daisy wheel on the Vision, and the rest of the parts did look a little less quality but I just went with the service at my local BBQ store (which I have found to be very handy).

I feel very comfortable my KJ is just as good as BGE.

However, if I were considering a WSM or other grill/smoker I think the Vision would be a huge step up for another couple hundred.

markdemich
07-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I just bought the Vission Classical at Cosco for $299. I thought there was a mistake on the price tag, but it rang up as $299 an I'm a happy camper. Can't wait to try it.:caked:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
I just bought the Vission Classical at Cosco for $299. I thought there was a mistake on the price tag, but it rang up as $299 an I'm a happy camper. Can't wait to try it.:caked:

That is a real score at that price.