PDA

View Full Version : 1st pork butt in new UDS

sleighdoh
04-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey everyone. Looking for some input... I did my first butts in my UDS and had mixed results. First of all, the tempurature control was easy as can be with UDS. I made one adjustment in about 9 hours. The drum plugged along right at 225 all day. I rubbed my 2 sams club butts with my BBQ rub the night before and let them come up to room temp the next morning. I preheated the drum for about 45 min and put them bad boys on (along with a chunk of pastrami.) The butts got nice bark and look great. They were both about 6 lbs a piece and took just about 9 hours to hit 195 degrees. I took them off, foiled, and placed in cooler for another hour. Then pulled. The pork was not as tender as I hoped and pulled rather tough. The bone did not slide right out as I have experienced in the past. The pork has great flavor, just not very tender. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading....

bluetang
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
If the bone did not slide out EZ, it won't done. IT temperature is a great gauge, but that's all.

Happy Hapgood
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
If the bone did not slide out EZ, it won't done. IT temperature is a great gauge, but that's all.

What He said ^^^^

Boshizzle
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Yep, go by Howe easy the bone is to twist. I've had butts as high as 210 F internal before removing them from the smoker.

landarc
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep, not quite done. Where are you all coming up with the 195F temperature for pulling? Who's instructions are you reading?

From my experience, a butt can be done at that temperature, but, not nearly as often as +200F. Yet, I seem to see 195F all the time.

sleighdoh
04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
yeah, the 195 number had been the one I have seen the most as well. Just didn't want to get to that "mush" stage either. I will go will the "bone wiggle" on the next batch.

sleighdoh
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.