PDA

View Full Version : UDS Weber lid mod question

kevine
04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I finally did the mod to my UDS so that I could use a Weber lid. The top of my UDS is rolled and I didn't want to cut it. I added the 2" metal strip to the inside edge, to give the lid something to rest on. I sealed it against the drum with high heat furnace caulking.

I was just curious on some suggestions for something to add to the inside of the lid to create a better seal. I noticed when I put the lid on, it fits okay, but it's obvious there's going to be smoke leaking from the lid. Suggestions?

JMSetzler
04-18-2012, 06:49 PM
You could run a thin layer of silicon along the inside lip of the lid if you wanted to but in my experience, that small amount of leakage at the lid is not going to give you any problems. I haven't bothered to do it on mine...

Johnny_Crunch
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
It will likely be fine. I would leave it alone.

dae06
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I finally did the mod to my UDS so that I could use a Weber lid. The top of my UDS is rolled and I didn't want to cut it. I added the 2" metal strip to the inside edge, to give the lid something to rest on. I sealed it against the drum with high heat furnace caulking.

I was just curious on some suggestions for something to add to the inside of the lid to create a better seal. I noticed when I put the lid on, it fits okay, but it's obvious there's going to be smoke leaking from the lid. Suggestions?

I did the same thing you did with the steel strap around the inside of the drum. I also used high temp RTV to seal between the strap and the drum. I'm not sure if it was needed, but it works great. :thumb:

kevine
04-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the responses and votes of confidence. I'm hoping to give it go this weekend. It worked great and held temps perfectly with the original lid that I placed a 2" exhaust pipe on, so my main concern is that the Weber lid affects temp control. Again, thanks for all the great info.

Panthers65
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
cook on it first before you go and change it. with my drum, I know the few spots where the lid is high, Some aluminum foil works wonders in making a better seal.

daninnewjersey
04-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I agree with the others. Cook on it first. If needed, I did this mod and will be testing it Saturday. However, I can see it filled any small gaps I had nicely...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130920