PDA

View Full Version : How long can I keep mustard slather in the fridge?

Gasket
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I use a mustard slather when I cook that has flat beer, sugar, a little tabasco, some rub, and of course mustard in it. I was wondering if I made a big batch put it in glass jars, and kept it in the fridge, how long would it stay good for? I think it would keep for a long time but you never know. Any advice on this?

landarc
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I would be concerned, just a tiny bit, about the sugar, if the acidity is there, probably not a problem to keep it for months. On the other hand, why not make it fresh each time?

frohe
04-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Avoid the worry, make it fresh everytime. Fresh is best.

Scubadoo97
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
While fresh is better, between the acid and alcohol there should be little worry about bad bugs but flavor and texture will decline with time

Lake Dogs
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
sugars, eventually, ferment, dont they? I mean it would be weeks and weeks probably, but that beer would be getting flatter and flatter and the oomph would be taken out of the spices... Mustard would keep for a LONG time, as well the hot sauce...

I'm thinking make 'em fresh too. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to make; you'd be wasting room in the fridge and risking the above to save a few minutes... Nah, the risk/reward metric fails on this one IMHO.

landarc
04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Mustard lasts forever. Beer once opened will not last more than a month. Add in sugar and you are not going to have enough acid to hold it. The alcohol will be too low to factor. But I agree that holding it will flatten the flavors.

---k---
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Would there be any benefit to mixing everything but the sugar? Then just add sugar with each use?

Gasket
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
My problem is that I usually have so much slather left over, especially if I'm only doing a couple racks or a tenderloin, or whatever for dinner that day that the waste and having to throw whatever's left away is starting to bug me. Even with cutting the recipe in half or quartering it, I'm usually throwing most of it away. That's why I wanted to make a batch of it and just pour some in a bowl and use what I need, but I also don't want to sacrifice flavor or freshness for what would amount to a saving a couple of cents.

drjake
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
If you have enough space in the container, you could freeze it but I wouldn't keep it for more than 2 months even if you freeze it.

frohe
04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
My problem is that I usually have so much slather left over, especially if I'm only doing a couple racks or a tenderloin, or whatever for dinner that day that the waste and having to throw whatever's left away is starting to bug me. Even with cutting the recipe in half or quartering it, I'm usually throwing most of it away. That's why I wanted to make a batch of it and just pour some in a bowl and use what I need, but I also don't want to sacrifice flavor or freshness for what would amount to a saving a couple of cents.

keep scaling down til you have none to throw away.

Happy Hapgood
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Mustard starts degrading from the day it's mustard. That's why I won't use it on meat and always buy the smallest container I can find. I tried it on a Tri-Tip once. YUCK! There are better ways.

j20832
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
On the other hand, most homemade mustard recipes call for at least a day and some up to a month to mellow... of course they don't have beer and sugar as ingredients. If you want to play it safer adding an acid (vinegar) and some salt would prolong its life (although I guess you have a fair amount of salt in your rub). Its the beer and sugar you have to worry about.