PDA

View Full Version : Grape Wood

tish
04-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Has anyone here ever smoked with grape wood? And if so, what types of meat do you feel are well suited to it?

Happy Hapgood
04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Aren't grapes a vine? hmmm, It may have potential.

Vision
04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I was snacking on some pepper jack cheese tonight that was smoked with grape vine. IME "smoke is not smoke", different woods definitely have different tastes. However, grapevine seems to be the exception and I only can recognize smokey notes.

tish
04-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Aren't grapes a vine? hmmm, It may have potential.

Yes, grapes are a vine. But as they age, they become very woody. I was given some grape vine/wood, and would like to know what goes well with it.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/lizzietish726/Brethren%20gifts/brethrengiftwood.jpg

The Frog
04-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I have used it in my UDS, but I didn't care for it at all. So if you are smoking with it, I can't recommend a meat that it would compliment. I would not say there was a particular note or flavor to it, I just didn't find it delicious. Perhaps in a stick burner it would be different. I am still using up my leftover grape for grilling on the kettle. Same thing goes for some red wine barrel I got to try out... pretty disappointing. The pecan in that box on the other hand........ is a whole different story.

CarolinaQue
04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I like grapevine/wood with chicken and fish myself. It's like any other cooking wood...to much is a bad thing. I like to soak it over night in a white wine and apple jucie mix along with some rosemary sprigs to throw on the coals along with it.

Grillman
04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Usually "Fruit" woods work well with Pork. They also tend to work good with Poultry.
In my opinion they aren't the best choice to use with Beef, but others will probably
like it. You might start with a Pork Tenderloin or some ribs, and see how you like it
from there.

smokeyokie
04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Tish chicken and pork or fish are neutral proteins and would allow you to taste the flavor of the woods smoke. Actually that being said I would smoke some skin on legs and some country style ribs with a s&p based rub and see what you think of the smoke? Keep us updated

IamMadMan
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Has anyone here ever smoked with grape wood? And if so, what types of meat do you feel are well suited to it?

Grapevines can give a slightly "Tart" or slightly "Bitter" taste to the meat and should be used in moderation. I often pair it with a slightly sweeter rub to offset the tartness if I should add too much at one time.

It does work well with lamb chops and wild game. I have also used it to smoke my cured pork center loins before I cut into "Ham Chops".

Grape works well in moderation, but like anything else too much of anything can be bad.

I usually use the vines from Niagara, Candice, or Nimrod vines because they are a sweet grape and the vine in return will not give my food the off taste like some of the other grape varieties do.

Ron_L
04-13-2012, 08:30 PM
As IAmMadMan mentioned, its a good accent wood. I like it on fish, chicken or pork.

Happy Hapgood
04-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, grapes are a vine. But as they age, they become very woody. I was given some grape vine/wood, and would like to know what goes well with it.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/lizzietish726/Brethren%20gifts/brethrengiftwood.jpg

Wow Tish, I've only seen lesser vines. Looks like they will smoke well. I'm guessing chicken would be a good place to experiment as it will absorb more smoke. I learn something new everyday here. :thumb:

tish
04-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Believe me, Toast, I've never seen any that thick before, either. And my dad grows grapes in the arbor behind his house. You'll see all kinds of things on this forum. Stick around. :wink:

martyleach
04-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Tish, I use it like most other fruit woods. It is mild in flavor and should not be overused. I like it.

Puppyboy
04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Used grape vines before on pork and worked out pretty good. As was already said, too much will make it tart.

Vision
04-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Grapevines can give a slightly "Tart" or slightly "Bitter" taste to the meat and should be used in moderation.

Well said.

IamMadMan
04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Believe me, Toast, I've never seen any that thick before, either. And my dad grows grapes in the arbor behind his house. You'll see all kinds of things on this forum. Stick around. :wink:

Commercial grape producers in Western NY State grow the grapes with only two vine levels, thus producing only two branches in opposing directions. The main trunk of the vine can easily get 3 inches thick or greater. Every winter before budding the grapes are trimmed for optimal production and after many years the plants are removed and a new vineyard is replanted in stages (similar to orchard trees).

Twelvegaugepump
04-14-2012, 07:44 AM
I have seen the trunk of vines as wide as my forearm.

lemur
04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Usually "Fruit" woods work well with Pork. They also tend to work good with Poultry.
In my opinion they aren't the best choice to use with Beef, but others will probably
like it. You might start with a Pork Tenderloin or some ribs, and see how you like it
from there.

I think apple wood and beef is better than Awesome

lemur
04-14-2012, 10:52 AM
from there.

I think apple wood and beef is better than Awesome

Dr_KY
04-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Yup I use it on chicken and seafood.

toadhunter911
04-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Was just given a bag of grape wood today by my Pastor and his wife. Gonna use it on a venison shoulder I have in the freezer.