PDA

View Full Version : Tempature regulator for a Kamodo Joe

skippy
04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Good morning everybody. I'd like to say hello I just registered and this is my first post. I have been fooling around with bar-b-que for a couple of years. About 3 weeks ago I bought a kamodo joe cooker. I was wondering if anybody else was using this type of cooker? I have two questions about it.

1) does anybody know if there is an in-expensive tempature regulator that will fit this style of cooker? I am not into competition, but I do like to cook a lot for family and friends, and I don't want to break the bank.

2) I am having a difficult time getting the cooker really fired up. I cannot seem to get the tempature much above 300 degrees. While that is good for brisket and pork not really good when you are trying to sear a good poter house steak.

Any tips or trick on either of these would be much apprecieated.

Code3BBQ
04-13-2012, 06:49 AM
For thermometers, I would go with a Maverick Et-73 or ET-732(new model). Both of these have wireless receivers allowing you to remotely monitor your pit temp and a single food IT. The new 732 has a little greater monitoring distance, I believe it's 300' vs 100' on the the 73. Hope this helps.

shirknwrk
04-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Fresh lump, vents wide open, lid up to start... 900+ should be no problem. I took the clip off the thermo on my BGE so I can remove it before doing a cleaning burn. If the top vent is removable on the KJ, take it off for high temp stuff...need all the air you can get! A kamado with the lid down, top off and vent wide open will roar audibly.

For long, long cooks I use a Guru DX...Adaptor fits lower vent... Hint... only open the Guru slide 1/4 the way... and barely crack the top vent... Let the fan do all the work..otherwise the natural draft of the kamado will make it impossible to keep temps down. You ARE using lump charcoal only...?

skippy
04-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Fresh lump, vents wide open, lid up to start... 900+ should be no problem. I took the clip off the thermo on my BGE so I can remove it before doing a cleaning burn. If the top vent is removable on the KJ, take it off for high temp stuff...need all the air you can get! A kamado with the lid down, top off and vent wide open will roar audibly.

For long, long cooks I use a Guru DX...Adaptor fits lower vent... Hint... only open the Guru slide 1/4 the way... and barely crack the top vent... Let the fan do all the work..otherwise the natural draft of the kamado will make it impossible to keep temps down. You ARE using lump charcoal only...?
Thanks for the tips. I am useing Humphrey's Lump Charcoal. I'll try taking the top vent off and see how that works. I'll keep you posted.

skippy
04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
For thermometers, I would go with a Maverick Et-73 or ET-732(new model). Both of these have wireless receivers allowing you to remotely monitor your pit temp and a single food IT. The new 732 has a little greater monitoring distance, I believe it's 300' vs 100' on the the 73. Hope this helps.

When I bought the KJ I did purchase a maverick wireless thermometer. It worked great. It was a little hard to drag myself out of bed at 3am when the temp got too hot, but it is well worth the money.

SmokeFan
04-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Since you mentioned temp controllers and searing a porterhouse in the same breath, I wanted to make sure you knew that the more common temp controllers do not work at the temps required to sear a steak, or at least not throughout the whole range your KJ is capable of operating.

For that matter, at those temps, you will fry most of the less expensive temp probes, such as the ET-732(which I have).

MDRex
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
I just got a BBQ Guru PartyQ for my Kamado Joe. Going to use it tonight overnight to cook some pork butts. I'll post more info about it tomorrow or Sunday. I also made a rainbox for it, I'll post pics and info on that too.

skippy
04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Since you mentioned temp controllers and searing a porterhouse in the same breath, I wanted to make sure you knew that the more common temp controllers do not work at the temps required to sear a steak, or at least not throughout the whole range your KJ is capable of operating.

For that matter, at those temps, you will fry most of the less expensive temp probes, such as the ET-732(which I have).

After I posted this I realized that I should have mentioned that I also like to do low & slow cooking, but staying up all night isn't my idea of a great time.

Bebe
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
maybe you should get a DigiQ after all, if you want to do overnights. Works like a charm, you get a good night sleep w/o worries. I'm sure you won't regret it!
There is a new model coming soon (WiFi) but DigiQ II is great.

SmokeFan
04-13-2012, 12:23 PM
After I posted this I realized that I should have mentioned that I also like to do low & slow cooking, but staying up all night isn't my idea of a great time.

Ha! Nor mine either my friend! :-D I'm still evaluating which temp controller I want for my BGE. I have the XL, and in questions I asked of BBQ Guru, they seemed to indicate that the Party Q and the BGE-XL wouldn't be a very good match as the cfm's aren't there. Which they made one with a bigger fan, I'd buy it now.

I have read that it works well on the BGE-L. Although one recent review indicated that it might not be great for all night cooks.

I'm still torn between an Auber Systems, the IQ110, and just saying to heck with it and blowing alot of cash on the wifi guru when it comes out.

joe@bge
04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I have two BGE's and the advice so far for getting temps up is good. Good quality (dry) lump, make sure that the fire grate is clear of ashes and small pieces of lump that can block air flow. High temps will require the top vent to be off for sure - at least for a period of the time.

As far as temp controllers - I have the CyberQ with the 10CFM pit viper and that fan barely needs to run on a large BGE. I normally have the fan vent 1/2 to 3/4 closed during slow and low's. I do know a lot of guys that use the 5cfm fans with no problem on large and XL BGE's with no issue.

BBQ Bandit
04-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Just a fyi...

An electronic controller type is not a mandatory option.
Many vertical smokers will run long term thru the night with the proper skill level without a controller.

(KJ, Bubba Keg, BGE, UDS, etc. are just a few)

Its is an old situation... if you can control the airflow thru a primary opening (natural aspiration) vs. having a fan (forced air).
This would only work if all air leaks are eliminated.

MDRex
04-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Here is my setup.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/groger1/BBQ/2012-04-13195426.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/groger1/BBQ/2012-04-13195404.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/groger1/BBQ/2012-04-13195239.jpg

skippy
04-15-2012, 05:14 PM

YOu were right on, I took the top vent off and off she went got up to 700 degrees before I knew it.