PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use wood pellet smoker

woodpelletsmoker
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
It is much more expensive.
What is the purpose to use pellet smoker than a charcoal smoker.

I find following discussion and I find no reason to use pellet smoker.

Cited from http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=4172.0

It says "so too many pellets are dumped in the firepot. As the pellets start to burning a major overshoot will happen. This can be 25 to 50 even sometimes 100 degrees. This usually occurs in warmer climates. "

Just think you set the pellet smoker temperature at 225F, but it can be as high as 325F. Does it effect the flavor

Johnny_Crunch
04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I would not own one.

ThomEmery
04-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I have 5
Just love their ease of use

GreenDrake
04-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I have three, love them. Not much different than someone using briquettes versus lump or wood.

landarc
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I would own one if I had the money, I would also own all sorts of other smokers. I see no difference between mis-using a pellet smoker and having it over run the temperatures, than there is in mis-using any smoker. If you load too much wood into a stick burner, temps are going to run wild, if you open the vents to large in a WSM, it is gonna run hotter.

In every case, a good cook, using a good cooker in the proper way will get a good result. I continue to not understand why so many people need to feel some bias against certain cookers. I love my kettle and UDS, if someone offered me another type of cooker, I would take it.

El Ropo
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
:noidea: :smash: :frusty: :bolt:

IamMadMan
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
It is much more expensive.
What is the purpose to use pellet smoker than a charcoal smoker.

I find following discussion and I find no reason to use pellet smoker.

Cited from http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=4172.0

It says "so too many pellets are dumped in the firepot. As the pellets start to burning a major overshoot will happen. This can be 25 to 50 even sometimes 100 degrees. This usually occurs in warmer climates. "

Just think you set the pellet smoker temperature at 225F, but it can be as high as 325F. Does it effect the flavor

He says this will happen if the P-# setting is not properly set, Then the above happens....

I would own one if I had the money, I would also own all sorts of other smokers. I see no difference between mis-using a pellet smoker and having it over run the temperatures, than there is in mis-using any smoker. If you load too much wood into a stick burner, temps are going to run wild, if you open the vents to large in a WSM, it is gonna run hotter.

In every case, a good cook, using a good cooker in the proper way will get a good result. I continue to not understand why so many people need to feel some bias against certain cookers. I love my kettle and UDS, if someone offered me another type of cooker, I would take it.

I agree with landarc, a good cooker is only good if used properly as designed.

I have a stick burner, a charcoal smoker, and a propane smoker, all for different uses. I too would like a Traeger Pellet smoker if shipping wasn't so expensive. I have seen one in use and it is very efficient, no no major overshoots in the cooker as described.

kihrer
04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
He says this will happen if the P-# setting is not properly set, Then the above happens....

I agree with landarc, a good cooker is only good if used properly as designed.

I have a stick burner, a charcoal smoker, and a propane smoker, all for different uses. I too would like a Traeger Pellet smoker if shipping wasn't so expensive. I have seen one in use and it is very efficient, no no major overshoots in the cooker as described.

I was at Costco last week and they had a Traeger guy there. They had really good deals on the Traegers (I believe it was $399; $699; and $899). I believe he told me that the cookers would be sold in the Costco for a while.

The_Kapn
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I have cooked with almost all of the heat sources and pellets fit my cooking style the best.
I love the end product.

TIM

kihrer
04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I have cooked with almost all of the heat sources and pellets fit my cooking style the best.
I love the end product.

TIM

I think it really boils down to what Tim is saying. We know that good que can be cooked on anything from a bunch of cinder blocks and expanded metal, to a weber, to a multi-thousand dollar rig. If it fits your budget and your cooking style and makes you happy while you are doing it, then it is the right cooker for you.

lastmajordude
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I must be a Caveman....own a wonderful but small smokin tex electric with thermastat.....have spent a year and a half looking/studying pellets, insulated vault, electric, gravity, charcoal, propane, and I am at peace ....I WILL own a 24 x 48 KLOSE offset (hopefully) or Gator.... stick burner....probably used. But when I do.....I will be one proud daddy.....in fact I'll probably name it after my dad.......that's one great thing about this site, everybody is ok with whatever works for each person........

The Cosmic Pig
04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I used to think my FEC was "running wild" when it overshot 20 to 30 degrees. I now know that's really not a big deal. But I have never seen it overshoot anywhere near 100 degrees. I could see it happening if I didn't lower the set temp when I opened the door for an extended period of time and the FEC was dumping pellets the whole time, but I learned early on to lower the set temp to 140F when I was going to add meat, wrap, or whatever. I have other "problems" with pellet smokers, but overshooting temps isn't one of them.

IamMadMan
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I was at Costco last week and they had a Traeger guy there. They had really good deals on the Traegers (I believe it was $399; $699; and $899). I believe he told me that the cookers would be sold in the Costco for a while.

Thanks, I'll go check....

CarolinaQue
04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I know of many pellet heads that have gotten many a walks and GC's with their equipment.

I also know that they get a lot more sleep than I do at a comp!!!

GreenDrake
04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks, I'll go check....

the Traegers at Costco run on 10 day road shows. Traeger figured a way to skirt the dealers and go direct through Costco and they surprise more and more dealers by doing extra shows without putting them on their calendar. Traeger is pulling in more than a million a month in additional revenue this way, just wish they were more honest about their program. It's tough to help out dealers who are continually backpedalling. I help out in the distribution channel in my free time, so we make up for the costco shows by offering the local dealers a better package than the costco pricing is.

darita
04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I owned a Traeger and had to deal with "P" settings and still had 30* swings and more. Sold it and got a Green Mountain Grill...totally different animal. With my GMG, I get 1* to 3* overshoots and swings. It is truly a "set and forget" cooker. I'm sure there are other pellet smokers with the same amount of control.
That's really one of the main reasons anyone gets a pellet smoker. Control and ease of use are what these smokers are all about. I can smoke at 180* just by setting the digital temp and it will sit there for as long as there are pellets in the hopper. After a couple of hours of good smoke, I can crank it up to 250* for the remainder of the cook...again, as easy as setting the digital temp. Over nighters...that's another good reason! Someone stop me...Anyways, that's why people get pellet smokers.
That said, I also have a Primo and a WSM...they're all fun to use and make great BBQ.

Tommyboy48
04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I love my Green Mountain...never had an overshoot and the temp is always spot on. Its a Daniel Boone, doesn't hold much and the downside is that you don't get the full smokehouse flavor that you get from a stickburner, wsm, uds etc. It burns very clean and effecient, so the smoke flavor isn't as pronounced. Thats why I ordered my Peoria 24 x 48. Use that for long cooks and for larger quantities and keep my Green Mountain when I need to throw on some steaks, chicken or pork real quick. Their ease of use is what is fantastic and nothing cooks chicken breast like a pellet smoker! If I had the money, I would have a ton of smokers(except for electric).

superdan
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a green mountain pellet grill and love it. I also have a Gator stick burner and a cheap kamado. They all have pros and cons but I really like the pellet grill for smokes when I'm at work all day or want to sleep at night. And it works great as an outdoor oven, just dial it in up to 500 and get to cooking.

Happy Hapgood
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
If it makes you happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyihQtBes1I&ob=av2e

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
04-10-2012, 09:37 PM
A lot of guys have walked using FEC's. I'm looking at getting one for my dad to use. It makes a lot of sense for overnight cooks when old timers like my dad are used to being in bed by 9:30pm and up at 4:30am.

cowgirl
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I have a Memphis Pro and love it. I also use a horizontal wood burner, drum, and too many others to mention. :oops:
I love all of them. :-D

ThomEmery
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Our Grillas have a P switch
I enjoy the feature

K-Barbecue
04-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I used to think my FEC was "running wild" when it overshot 20 to 30 degrees. I now know that's really not a big deal. But I have never seen it overshoot anywhere near 100 degrees. I could see it happening if I didn't lower the set temp when I opened the door for an extended period of time and the FEC was dumping pellets the whole time, but I learned early on to lower the set temp to 140F when I was going to add meat, wrap, or whatever. I have other "problems" with pellet smokers, but overshooting temps isn't one of them.

A tip with the FEC's. If you are going to leave the door open for awhile just open the pellet hopper door too. The pellet door safety switch shuts off the pellet feed so it won't keep feeding pellets.

MrWenzel
04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
I owned a Yoder YS640 and had temp issues. They took it back and gave me my money back, pellet smokers are like everything, a general statement of temp swings can not be given to all pellet smokers.I also have heard of the modifications that have been done to keep a traeger running plus or minus. 3 deg. A Treager is just a starter pellet smoker I'm sure there has been a lot of owners that upgraded there smoker or modified it. Also I'm sure a lot of the Traeger owners have no clue as to how far the temp swings in there smoker. When is the last time any of us has checked there oven to see how it holds a temp. I'm in the process of getting a FEC100 that I'm sure will will hold better temps than my oven. Its all about getting more BBQ.

TTNuge
04-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't judge all pellet smokers based on some piece of garbage made in China. My MAK is made in the USA and works better than that knockoff stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cosmic Pig
04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
A tip with the FEC's. If you are going to leave the door open for awhile just open the pellet hopper door too. The pellet door safety switch shuts off the pellet feed so it won't keep feeding pellets.

Good info there! Thanks a bunch! :thumb:

Utah Jake
04-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Why use a pellet cooker? This Saturday night i closed the door on my FEC100, pushed start and at noon on Sunday I pushed off, opened the door and pulled out 4 perfectly cooked Boston butts to the delight of 35 people ready for lunch.

northwesto
04-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I have had my Traeger 075 for about 6 months now. The price point fit my budget and is a real upgrade from my frankenoffset. Could I get something better - maybe, but I learned how to use this baby and it is producing some darn good BBQ. I've got it dialed in and now I can fire it up and come back when my temp alarms are going off.
I think it really comes down to what you are looking to get out of your cook. Be it from a stick burner to a UDS - each has mastered their own method of producing great BBQ, mine happens to be a pellet pooper that holds the temps and gives me a consistent cook time in and time out. Heck I'm even thinking about getting into comps now... It's all fun as long as you are getting what you want out of it.

NorthwestBBQ
04-11-2012, 02:02 AM
I have had my Traeger 075 for about 6 months now. The price point fit my budget and is a real upgrade from my frankenoffset. Could I get something better - maybe, but I learned how to use this baby and it is producing some darn good BBQ. I've got it dialed in and now I can fire it up and come back when my temp alarms are going off.
I think it really comes down to what you are looking to get out of your cook. Be it from a stick burner to a UDS - each has mastered their own method of producing great BBQ, mine happens to be a pellet pooper that holds the temps and gives me a consistent cook time in and time out. Heck I'm even thinking about getting into comps now... It's all fun as long as you are getting what you want out of it.

Come out to the the Monroe, WA comp at the end of the month and say hi.

www.pnwba.com

Check out the pic links that start with PNWBA here, neighbor:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5215efccb0189033

GreenDrake
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Don't judge all pellet smokers based on some piece of garbage made in China. My MAK is made in the USA and works better than that knockoff stuff.

$2300 for a Mak, so...define works better.

BigHatBBQ
04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
If you want to take the time to experiment and learn and be wowed and disappointed at times and be proud of achieving something, you buy an American made offset steel smoker. If you want to put your meat down plug in a cord and walk away you buy a pellet box made in China.

jaxbbq
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I have a Lang that turns out great product, but it needs babysitting. I'm one of those old timers that like to sleep. Can't cook all night and serve BBQ all day so I invested in an FEC500 for my business use the lang for comps.

jasonjax
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Ahh, this topic...

I predict we will see more and more of it as pellet cooking becomes more ubiquitous.

I LOVE my pellet cookers. I have cooked on everything except stick burners, and far and away I dig on my pellet grills the most. Near convenience of gas once you have the idiosyncrasies of your cooker down with near charcoal smoke if that's what you're after.

I own a FEC100 and a GMG currently. I'll probably be adding another FEC to the arsenal and replacing the GMG for all my high heat needs. The FPG500 looks awesome to me.

The only complaint I have for pellet cookers in general is that many of them will not provide a grill style sear. That is changing, and the FPG I mention specifically can hit some ridiculous temperatures as well as other pellet cookers.

I fully realize I pay a bit of a premium in both fuel and acquisition costs compared to many alternatives, but for me personally it is worth it by a good margin.

One thing I will absolutely jump on the bandwagon with though is that all fuel types and cookers can produce awesome products if the guy/gal behind the device knows what they're doing.

Panthers65
04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I'd love to have one of the small tragers, just for the shape and ease. I've got an egg and a drum, but for smoking I almost exclusively use my drum. The drum is as dummy proof as it comes, especially with my stoker, but I wish it the cooking surface was rectangular like the traeger instead of round. Just seems like it would fit more stuff

NU2QN
04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I just purchased a used Traeger Texas from a friend at work. I spent four hours cleaning it. I spent several hours on three different test burns to get the temps dialed in using the P settings. As I have read a million times on this forum, "you need to know your smoker". I haven't cooked on it yet but I can tell you the temps maintain as well as my UDS and WBS. As I was messing around with the P settings, I did notice flare ups of 30+* however it settled right back down.

My friend used brick to help retain the temps. Using the P settings and the bricks, my sensor reading and my dome temp reading are within 10* of each other once the temps stabilize after about 30 minutes. I can't wait to cook on it this weekend.

GreenDrake
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Always find the funny in the bias people have against pellet poopers. Kingsford charcoal is the same thing as pellet fuel. Processed charcoal and re-formed into briquettes. Pellets are processed wood formed into pellets. Each offers itself as fuel. However the fact that pellet cookers are plugged in somehow offends the bbq purists who profess that the only "real" cooker is an American made steel cooker. These are people that drive cars with foreign parts, wear shoes made in China, shirts from Taiwan and home electronics from Japan and Korea, yet are steadfast in proclaiming anything in BBQ made in China to be junk. Good humor, we are all here to share bbq love guys, why the hate? It's all good.

AZ Smoker
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
They are cool but I just don't like the lack of smoke flavor in my food.

K-Barbecue
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
All the Cookshack pellet smokers and grills are made right here in the USA. I own two pellet smokers, two WSM's and had a Klose stickburner. I love my pellet cookers but once in a while if I've got lots of time and beer I'll still fire up the WSM but I have a BBQ Guru on that so I guess that is cheating too. :icon_blush:

Scallywag
04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Pellet poopers are what got me hooked on bbq... Traeger owner for almost 3 years and just upgraded to a Mak.

TTNuge
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
$2300 for a Mak, so...define works better.

Stays at the temp I set it. Doesn't require messing with P settings. Has narrow temp swings of 10* or less, never was able to get better than 50* with my Traeger. Has a remote control, programmable cooks, alarms, multiple food probes, can ramp cooks up and down based on time or meat temp. Has a warming drawer for keeping serving plates warm or cold smoking cheese. Quick dump pellet door for easy changes of pellet types. Flame zone for higher heat searing. Well worth the extra investment for me.

K-Barbecue
04-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Stays at the temp I set it. Doesn't require messing with P settings. Has narrow temp swings of 10* or less, never was able to get better than 50* with my Traeger. Has a remote control, programmable cooks, alarms, multiple food probes, can ramp cooks up and down based on time or meat temp. Has a warming drawer for keeping serving plates warm or cold smoking cheese. Quick dump pellet door for easy changes of pellet types. Flame zone for higher heat searing. Well worth the extra investment for me.

It's the old you gets what you pay for :-D

K-Barbecue
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Choose Your Weapon !

Scallywag
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Well said!

TTNuge
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Choose Your Weapon !

That's a view to be proud of!

darita
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Always find the funny in the bias people have against pellet poopers. Kingsford charcoal is the same thing as pellet fuel. Processed charcoal and re-formed into briquettes. Pellets are processed wood formed into pellets. Each offers itself as fuel. However the fact that pellet cookers are plugged in somehow offends the bbq purists who profess that the only "real" cooker is an American made steel cooker. These are people that drive cars with foreign parts, wear shoes made in China, shirts from Taiwan and home electronics from Japan and Korea, yet are steadfast in proclaiming anything in BBQ made in China to be junk. Good humor, we are all here to share bbq love guys, why the hate? It's all good.
Really! I once heard a guy say that he'd rather cook on a piece of junk made in the USA than cook on something made in China. Now that just doesn't make sense. Get your head out of your --- and take a look around...we're part of the world now! If it works well, use it! Like any other manufacturer, they just build it to the specs they're given...that's it. Cracks me up, because China and most of the other Asian countries have been doing "low and slow" since long before the USA was even the USA.
Sorry...went through this same thing with woodworking machines a few years back.

bigticket1
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Don't have a pellet cooker,but am thinking about getting one. To get more smoke,wouldn't it be possible to add a foil packet of chips in the cooker to get some more smoke ?

K-Barbecue
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Don't have a pellet cooker,but am thinking about getting one. To get more smoke,wouldn't it be possible to add a foil packet of chips in the cooker to get some more smoke ?

Sure you can do that however something more sofisticated such as the A-MAZ-N or Smoke Daddy would work better. Two big factors in smoke production in a pellet smoker are the type and brand of pellets you are using and the temperature you a cooking at. The higher the cooking temperature the less smoke you will get.

Lightning
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
1: I can sleep with no issues through the night

2: NSF rated

I love my FEC100 and I am considering buying 2 FEC120's now. I still have my SouthWest stick burner and doubtful Ill sell that either

Salt Creek Bar-B-Que
04-11-2012, 01:04 PM
I was able to come across a traeger burner assembly (hopper, digital controller, auger) for next to nothing ($135).

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/dodgecitymyers/IMAG0189.jpg

I built my own cabinet double walled with 1200 insulation and a lowered exhaust like the FECs. I love it and it holds temp very well.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/dodgecitymyers/IMG_20120129_171915.jpg

Now has four racks that I can fit two full size steam table pans on each.

I've had it above 500 degrees, not quite true gilling but does work.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/dodgecitymyers/IMG_20120129_171848.jpg

hamiltont
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I heard that if you soak your pellets first you'll get a lot more smoke... Just kidding guys!! I don't have a P-Pooper but a friend does. Works just fine IMO. It truly is a set & forget cooker and he has that puppy figured out to a T. I'd have one my self if the funds were there... Cheers!!!

buffalotom
04-11-2012, 01:47 PM

+1 I have a Mak and an earlier Traeger. I just like the convenience. The smoke is fine for everything that I have done. Maybe someday I will have a stickburner. Nothing against them, I just like my pellet pooper. I enjoy reading about all smokers.
Life is too short to not look at everything. Although it does get me in trouble occasionally.:biggrin1:

Vision
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder if it makes more sense to use a gas grill and an amazin.

jasonjax
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I wonder if it makes more sense to use a gas grill and an amazin.

As my man Alton Brown once said, "As for gas grills bad news. Even the best gas grills cannot produce real barbecue because when propane burns it creates water vapor, and that water vapor kind of creates a protective barrier between the smoke and the meat . . . "