PDA

View Full Version : Commercial rub suggestions

4uweque
04-06-2012, 07:34 AM
I bought a gallon of Blues Hog sauce and it doesn't work with what I'm using. I'm needing suggestions for a commercial rub that goes with that flavor profile. Suggestions???

Code3BBQ
04-06-2012, 07:52 AM
I bought a gallon of Blues Hog sauce and it doesn't work with what I'm using. I'm needing suggestions for a commercial rub that goes with that flavor profile. Suggestions???

What have you tried it with? More importantly, what are you trying it ON?:razz:

4uweque
04-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I've been using Willingham's original half and half with Willingham's Cajun hot. It doesn't work very well with the sauce. It's funny, the sauce is glorious when you taste just it but when combined with my rub... Not sa much!

Lightning
04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Man this is a loaded question since taste is subjective to the person eating it. Best advice I can give anyone when it comes to this sort of thing.

Go to SAMs or some other supplier were you can buy spices by the #.

Get a note book and pencil

Get a good measuring set

Start making your own rub and document every batch and changes

Forget about the sauce until you get your rub recipe down. Once you get it the way you want figure out what type of sauce you like. Pretty much the main four are Sugar, tomato, mustard, and vinegar based sauces. Add your rub to your base and start building it up from there.

At this point you should have a decent rub and then a sauce that will complement the rub perfectly. Once you are at this point you'll never think twice about buying another sauce or rub ever again

Again, don't forget to document changes and be super careful when it comes to garlic powder.

Aaron

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cmlrjf

snook806
04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
www.texasbbqrub.com

big brother smoke
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
3eyz, Plowboy's yardbird, the RUb Company and our line of products have done well mixed with Blues Hog.

Bbqin fool
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Plowboys Yardbird!

Ryan Chester
04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
3eyz, Plowboy's yardbird, the RUb Company and our line of products have done well mixed with Blues Hog.

Can't go wrong with any of those!

Lake Dogs
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
We found the exact same thing to be true (great tasting sauce with a great tasting BBQ [ala. rub and/or injections] dont necessarily combine and make a great product). So, as a result, we had a sauce tasting party with 12 of us. I made a huge batch of pork, using 2 different rubs. I then made 16 sauces. Off we went. We immediately identified the pork we preferred (ala. the rub we preferred), yet none of the sauces were just over the top awesome. Not out of 16 sauces. Most were HORRID with the BBQ, even though they were great. We had 5 or 6 that weren't bad, but each either lacked something or had too much of something. We then began to mix and match a little. I now have my sauce that I/we prefer and use in competitions as a result, as 11 of the 12 people preferred this combination FAR and AWAY better than all the rest. It does include BH Original, but only about 1/3rd...

You may have to try something similar.

By the say, my winning rub is very similar to Plowboy's Yardbird, just a little less sodium in mine...

4uweque
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
It has really gotten expensive trying different things, that's why I was hoping someone had a suggestion. I know it's a popular sauce, but dang, it just doesn't work well with what I've been doing.

fingerlickin'
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM

This ^^^ = winning.

K-Train
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Simply Marvelous rubs

indianagriller
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Simply Marvelous Sweet seduction, sweet and spicy, cherry, season all... and Drapers AP rub...

IamMadMan
04-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Try here http://www.rivercityspice.com/ Rubs and sauces in bulk.

In very large quantities they will do a custom order, my friends team had 500 lbs of custom rub shipped to the Ribfest last year so they did not have to carry it across the country, thus giving them more room for other amenities.

You can't beat his price on bulk, so don't be stingy on the application of rubs.

His sauce in 5 gallon pails are also reasonable.

4uweque
04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Lots of good advice, keep it coming!

Smoothsmoke
04-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd go with an ultra high heat rub.

smokeyokie
04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Are you using the BH straight? or are you mixing? The reason I ask is that eventhough BH is a wonderful sauce, for my taste and others I cook with, we start with BH and add and tweak to get where we want to go with flavor. On its own IMO BH is way too sweet and needs to be tempered down, just my .02 cents

RoadHawgBBQ
04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
It has really gotten expensive trying different things, that's why I was hoping someone had a suggestion. I know it's a popular sauce, but dang, it just doesn't work well with what I've been doing.

what is the flavor profile of your rub?

4uweque
04-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I've tried BH straight and mixed 1/2 with BH Tenn. red, neither have even tasted close to what I expected.
I bought the sauce because when tasting JUST the sauce, not on any food, just on a spoon, it was the best I've ever tasted. Then when I put it on my ribs it wasn't very good at all. I know it clashed with the Willingham's rub I have always used. I know some Bretheren out there uses this sauce with a commercially available rub, I don't want to try mixing up a rub on my own, I don't trust my taster that much.

southernstyle
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
oakridge or plowboys works here