PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to get good Eatable, Crispy skin when Smoking Chickens?

Happy Hapgood
04-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I did my first chickens on the WSM last weekend. The meat and smoke flavor were as close as I can come to Perfect, but I probably could have sold the skin to retread a tire or the like.

http://i44.tinypic.com/m7xrmw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2eutyfn.jpg

Thanks for any and all input.

Bonewagon
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
What temp did you smoke them at? I find I get better results with higher heat than low 'n slow. I usually am around 375-400 for chicken. I don't usually get perfect bite-through skin, but it's crispy.

Smokin' D
04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Smoke it at higher temps, 350° or so. If you were smoking at 250° or so, you will get rubber chicken. If a higher smoking temp is not to you liking, finishing on a grill with direct heat will help a lot.

Happy Hapgood
04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
What temp did you smoke them at? I find I get better results with higher heat than low 'n slow. I usually am around 375-400 for chicken. I don't usually get perfect bite-through skin, but it's crispy.

Bonewagon, I went low and slow. Approx. 250*F. range. That sure could be it.

Happy Hapgood
04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Smoke it at higher temps, 350° or so. If you were smoking at 250° or so, you will get rubber chicken. If a higher smoking temp is not to you liking, finishing on a grill with direct heat will help a lot.

Starting to see a pattern, Thanks Smokin' D

frohe
04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I did my first chickens on the WSM last weekend. The meat and smoke flavor were as close as I can come to Perfect, but I probably could have sold the skin to retread a tire or the like.

Chicken's a high heat meat. Low & slow works if you wanna do without the skin (best part for me). If you insist on doing them in the WSM, remove the barrel section and put the cooking grate on the bottom over the coals. Dab on some EVOO and turn the skin towards the coals. Remove when the skin starts to brown. If your coals are hot, it won't take long so keep the lid off the WSM and keep watch.

Happy Hapgood
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Chicken's a high heat meat. Low & slow works if you wanna do without the skin (best part for me). If you insist on doing them in the WSM, remove the barrel section and put the cooking grate on the bottom over the coals. Dab on some EVOO and turn the skin towards the coals. Remove when the skin starts to brown. If your coals are hot, it won't take long so keep the lid off the WSM and keep watch.

Thanks frohe,

Getting temps up to 450*f or more is no problem in the WSM in it's regular configuration. I've just not taken it up that high...yet :grin:

I'm learning from all you Great Brethren here that I need to. Your statement of Chicken being a HH meat says it all!

syndicate559
04-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I do chicken a lot. I cook leg quarters and split breasts with the skin on, as well as turkey breasts just about every week. Higher temp definitely crisps it up better. I'm usually in the neighborhood of 350 as well on the WSM. I leave the pan in and everything. I usually wet rub with canola oil and this definitely helps get nicer skin.

BIGBrandon2785
04-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I find high heat and pulling it off in time are the perfect combo for chicken.I did some wings the other day,bout 350 and 30-45 minutes over direct smoke were the best wings ive ever smoked

criffaaa1
04-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Did these on my 22.5 wsm top rack, cooked at 325° till 165 I.t. In the thick part of the thigh, skin was crispy the rest was moist and succulent.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ad06a4ec-976c-d607.jpg

Sent via Criffvo

likeadeere
04-06-2012, 09:20 AM
You know this is one of the things I learned early on from the Brethren, and I experience it once for myself - you have to cook chicken at around 350 or you get rubbery skin. And I still agree with that fact. But then I saw a Triple D the other day and this cook would smoke chicken halves at 250 till done. And I'm thinking to myself, "I'll bet he has rubbery skin, how does he get away with that?" And then for the final part of his recipe, he deep fries the chicken half in oil! i thought that was so awesome, that would crisp up your chicken skin!

Ron_L
04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I like to spatchcock chickens rather than cook them whole. It allows more area for rub, but it also makes it easier to give the bird a little time over direct heat to crisp up the skin.