PDA

View Full Version : Water in a Lang?

MICHIGAN SMOKE
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Has anyone put water in the greasetrap during the cook to make it like a water cooker?

I would guess that if the water was warm when going in, then it wouldn't take too much time to come up to temp and help hold temp also. Should make for juicier butts shouldn't it?

Then when ya want to get rid of the moisture when glazing ribs or something, couldn't you just drain it or make it full vented?

Thoughts? Am I way off here?

Lake Dogs
04-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Grease trap? I have a grease drain (channel) with a hole into a pipe...

However, I've never needed to add more moisture to my barbecue as they're extremely moist already (with what I do in pain and foil and injection).

Big Bears BBQ
04-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I've never had to add water in mine works just fine. But if you think you need to use a pan ......

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Regardless of the pit/cooker, I'm not sure why so many feel a need to add water to the cooking environment. The meat contains plenty of moisture on it's own. As well, water levels ultimately decline which only create a less stable temperature over the duration with all other variables equal.

pigpen269
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
When i had my lang i would sometimes put water in the grease trap. It works great, you just have to add some more during the cook as most of it will evaporate before you are done. It also helps with clean up as the dripping don't burn to the metal. Try it and see how you like it.

expatpig
04-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Regardless of the pit/cooker, I'm not sure why so many feel a need to add water to the cooking environment. The meat contains plenty of moisture on it's own. As well, water levels ultimately decline which only create a less stable temperature over the duration with all other variables equal.
Right on the mark!

MICHIGAN SMOKE
04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I've never had to add water in mine works just fine. But if you think you need to use a pan ......

Not saying my product "needs" it...just saying that the reverse flow baffle is a perfect water tray and was curious if anyone has done it and how it effected their product

MICHIGAN SMOKE
04-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Many people add water to have a juicier product. Don't say that it doesn't make a difference, because it does. That is why people foil...to keep the moisture locked in. I prefer not to foil or use pans, because I like a good bark. It isn't worth ragging on people that add water just because you don't do it.

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Many people add water to have a juicier product. Don't say that it doesn't make a difference, because it does. That is why people foil...to keep the moisture locked in. I prefer not to foil or use pans, because I like a good bark. It isn't worth ragging on people that add water just because you don't do it.

I'm didn't rag on anyone.. just stated my opinion based on lots of experience cooking on quite a few different types of cookers as well as trial and error using foil, water pans, spray bottles etc.

Good luck...

Sledneck
04-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Wrapping tight in foil and adding water to a Cooker two completely different things. As far as water in the cooker it does nothing . Doesn't add moisture to the meat

Shinka
04-01-2012, 01:57 PM
For Christmas I made a 17 lb packer. It was 29F oustide Christmas Eve. Once my cooker came up to temp, I did fill it up with juice and water and kept it that way until I foiled. My thinking was it would assist with keeping the unit at a steady temp on such a cold night. In the end, it was the best packer I ever made. I'm not giving all the credit to the addition of the water & steam, but it didn't hurt in my example.

BBQ Bandit
04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
The only time I was adding water inside the Langs was during steam cleaning only.

Lake Dogs
04-01-2012, 02:54 PM
^^^ me too...