PDA

View Full Version : 10lb brisket going on the wsm shortly

Atl Smoke
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Pulling another all nighter. I've got to figure out "burnt ends". Still learning.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/jsspitzer/6c3bb01f.jpg

Boshizzle
03-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Have fun and don't sweat it.

Callahan-que
03-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Have fun. My first one on a WSM was about 13lbs. and finished long before I had anticipated. I thought I was going to be pulling an all nighter but it it didn't happen.

frohe
03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Pulling another all nighter. I've got to figure out "burnt ends". Still learning.

The key to good brisket is to take your time. Being in a hurry will only ruin a good cut of brisket. Once it's done, seperate the flat from the point and ease the flat back in the cooker for another couple of hours to make some great burnt ends. When you've had all you want, grind the other up and add some BBQ sauce, slather over some bread and enjoy some chopped beef sammiches. :clap2::clap2:

Atl Smoke
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
This is the second one I've done an the first did cook faster than I thought. I'm going to maintain the heat a little lower this time.

BRBBQ
03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
good luck

Atl Smoke
03-31-2012, 10:33 PM
The key to good brisket is to take your time. Being in a hurry will only ruin a good cut of brisket. Once it's done, seperate the flat from the point and ease the flat back in the cooker for another couple of hours to make some great burnt ends. When you've had all you want, grind the other up and add some BBQ sauce, slather over some bread and enjoy some chopped beef sammiches. :clap2::clap2:

Sounds like a plan!

El Ropo
03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
This is the second one I've done an the first did cook faster than I thought. I'm going to maintain the heat a little lower this time.

The question I have for you is did you think that first brisket turned out good?

There is no reason to slow down your process if you are getting good results. I keep seeing people say watch your temps or you'll ruin your meat. I don't believe it at all. Many folks cook brisket hot and fast with fantastic results. No set rule that says you have to cook at 225 and do 16-20 hour cooks, that's silly.

Even bumping temps up to 275 ish will have same or better results (in my experience), and the cooks are of much shorter duration, which means more time to sleep, work, spend with family, etc.

Do what works for you, and if you don't want to hang around the cooker for 18 hours (like some people claim) then don't do it.

I'm beginning to think some of these people are cooking at below 200 for a majority of the cook in order to extend cooking times lol.

Atl Smoke
03-31-2012, 10:53 PM
The question I have for you is did you think that first brisket turned out good?

There is no reason to slow down your process if you are getting good results. I keep seeing people say watch your temps or you'll ruin your meat. I don't believe it at all. Many folks cook brisket hot and fast with fantastic results. No set rule that says you have to cook at 225 and do 16-20 hour cooks, that's silly.

Even bumping temps up to 275 ish will have same or better results (in my experience), and the cooks are of much shorter duration, which means more time to sleep, work, spend with family, etc.

Do what works for you, and if you don't want to hang around the cooker for 18 hours (like some people claim) then don't do it.

I'm beginning to think some of these people are cooking at below 200 for a majority of the cook in order to extend cooking times lol.

I hear what you're saying. The first one I I'd was just so, so, bu probably not because of the temp.

I'm working through it, seeing what work. I don't want an 18 hr cook.