PDA

View Full Version : Smoked in shell peanuts

NCGuy68
03-25-2012, 06:02 AM
A friend gave me a sample bag of hickory smoked flavored in shell peanuts. Very tastey but I doubt they were really smoked as we know it.

Has anyone tried smoking raw nuts in the shell? If so, please tell me tips, techniques, times, etc.

Appreciate the info Gents.

IamMadMan
03-25-2012, 06:18 AM
I've done pistachios to add flavor, but not roasted them.

Here is a brethren link for your conversation http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114096

campdude
03-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I've done raw nuts (almonds are my fav) but, never in the shell. I spray with some Pam and sprinkle on some seasoning. Put them on a solid metal pizza pan and through them in the smoker with what ever I'm cooking. An hour or two depending on the pit temp and you have some smoked/seasoned nuts that will dissappear very quickly.

aquablue22
03-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Here's a recipe I found on the net and modified a bit, they called for adding liquid smoke to the brine, I left it out. I have made these several times and they are tasty, peanuts will absorb a lot of smoke so don't over do the chips. Enjoy

SMOKED PEANUTS IN THE SHELL

6 cups hot water
2 cups salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 pounds raw peanuts in the shell
2 cups wood chips (I like cherry)

Combine the water, salt, sugar and peanuts in a large pot and boil for 20 minutes to brine the peanuts and infuse the flavors. Drain the brined peanuts and allow them to dry for 20 minutes.
Soak wood chips for 20 minutes in cold water then drain thoroughly. Set smoker up for indirect cooking and bring up to steady 250 degrees, add 1 cup of wood chips and place heavy duty aluminum foil pan on the grill rack; make small holes to allow smoke to flow through. Place drained peanuts in aluminum pan.
Cover grill and smoke-roast peanuts for 20 minutes, keeping an eye on them to ensure even roasting.
Turn peanuts and add second cup of wood chips and any coals to maintain 250 degrees and smoke another 20 minutes. Turn again and smoke a final 20 minutes.
If peanuts are not fully roasted (crunchy when cooked) return them to the grill or a cookie sheet in a 225-degree oven until desired doneness. Cool completely and store in airtight containers.

NCGuy68
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Here's a recipe I found on the net and modified a bit, they called for adding liquid smoke to the brine, I left it out. I have made these several times and they are tasty, peanuts will absorb a lot of smoke so don't over do the chips. Enjoy

SMOKED PEANUTS IN THE SHELL

6 cups hot water
2 cups salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 pounds raw peanuts in the shell
2 cups wood chips (I like cherry)

Combine the water, salt, sugar and peanuts in a large pot and boil for 20 minutes to brine the peanuts and infuse the flavors. Drain the brined peanuts and allow them to dry for 20 minutes.
Soak wood chips for 20 minutes in cold water then drain thoroughly. Set smoker up for indirect cooking and bring up to steady 250 degrees, add 1 cup of wood chips and place heavy duty aluminum foil pan on the grill rack; make small holes to allow smoke to flow through. Place drained peanuts in aluminum pan.
Cover grill and smoke-roast peanuts for 20 minutes, keeping an eye on them to ensure even roasting.
Turn peanuts and add second cup of wood chips and any coals to maintain 250 degrees and smoke another 20 minutes. Turn again and smoke a final 20 minutes.
If peanuts are not fully roasted (crunchy when cooked) return them to the grill or a cookie sheet in a 225-degree oven until desired doneness. Cool completely and store in airtight containers.

Gotcha Blue....Neighbors grow Virginia peanuts every year and offer a bunch to me raw. Would like to return the favor with something that will put a smile on their faces.

Thanks for the recipe.