PDA

View Full Version : Smoking all day, and tasting smoke.......

thirtydaZe
03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Today i made a rack of ribs. Beautiful day, first try at hot and fast ribs.
Total oak log smoke on the Yoder offset.

I make ribs all the time for practice, for no apparent reason, and feed 'em to people for appetizers at family get to gethers.

Anyhow, my first h&f ribs were over cooked by definition, but everyone raved on this batch more than normal.

To me, there was no smoke flavor whatsoever. First thing out of my dads mouth was "real smokey"

Told my wife, i dont taste any smoke, and she disagreed, but stated it was her favorite batch.

So WTF. Cook all day can't enjoy a smokey goodness, or always expecting more?

gmc cooker
03-25-2012, 06:53 AM
i know what you mean... sometimes when i smoke for hours on end i also find i cant really get the taste of smoke either. it seems that i really notice the smoke and great taste the next day, or after a good shower to get rid of all the smoke smell and taste... :mrgreen:

CarolinaQue
03-25-2012, 07:23 AM
You get desensatized to it from cooking all day. I bet if you have left overs and heat them up the day after, you'll taste it.

JerBQ
03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm the same way, can't appreciate it until the next day. I always rely on the wife to give me a good honest critique since she isn't up close and personal with my pit all day. Smoker, that is.

frohe
03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Today i made a rack of ribs. Beautiful day, first try at hot and fast ribs.

So WTF. Cook all day can't enjoy a smokey goodness, or always expecting more?

When you let your cook rest after a long smoke, the best thing to do is take a shower to "wash" all the smoke off ya. Then put on different clothes. You'll be amazed how you're taste buds will be re-sparked and things'll taste right to you.

NBBD
03-25-2012, 07:41 AM
or after a good shower to get rid of all the smoke smell and taste... :mrgreen:
even just washing the face seems to help for me...
I sometimes shower while everything is resting but my wife says the hickory smoke is the best cologne a man can wear...

NU2QN
03-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I have to agree with everyone here. I had the same results yesterday, I couldn't taste the smokey goodness, but my family did. I will try the shower trick next time. Unfortunately, this time, the food was done and everyone was ready to eat.

deepsouth
03-25-2012, 09:37 AM
what if you sniffed some coffee beans? i know when beer tasting, that clears the senses and allows you to smell the beer again.

it seems to work for perfume as well.... http://www.bellasugar.com/Why-Do-We-Smell-Coffee-Beans-Between-Fragrances-2671566

http://www.ehow.com/info_12081877_sensory-development-activities.html

of course, this is all related to smell rather than taste, but it's been proven that those are linked.

Ron_L
03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Remember, when you cook hotter the fire burns more efficiently, so the smoke flavor will be lighter.

CarolinaQue
03-25-2012, 10:17 AM
what if you sniffed some coffee beans? i know when beer tasting, that clears the senses and allows you to smell the beer again.

it seems to work for perfume as well.... http://www.bellasugar.com/Why-Do-We-Smell-Coffee-Beans-Between-Fragrances-2671566

http://www.ehow.com/info_12081877_sensory-development-activities.html

of course, this is all related to smell rather than taste, but it's been proven that those are linked.

I think that the difference is, is that smoke coats your nose and sinus membranes/linings pretty heavily. I think that a hot shower and a change of clothes while the meat is resting is the best way to enjoy it that day. I have found that when I can't do that, I can always taste the smoke the next day.

mtbchip
03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought I was the only "Q'r" that showered after cooking. And, I too find smoked food is MUCH tastier the next day!

Tommyboy48
03-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I have to agree with everyone here. I had the same results yesterday, I couldn't taste the smokey goodness, but my family did. I will try the shower trick next time. Unfortunately, this time, the food was done and everyone was ready to eat.

I do that and usually a shot of lemon juice in a glass of water with a tablespoon of sugar does it for me. Sometimes even just a shot of lemon juice. Yah, bitter but it works.

smokainmuskoka
03-25-2012, 10:35 AM
My understanding is that the tongue senses salt/sweet/sour/bitter, and distinct flavours are perceived by our sense of smell.
I had to take a health and safety course for work, and learned that we get desensitized to odors more quickly than any other sense (hence a need for vigilance with hazarous fumes). Not surprising that one doesn't taste as much smoke when you've been leaning over the grilling through a long cook with a strong aroma. having a wash is something I'll try too.

daninnewjersey
03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
my wife says the hickory smoke is the best cologne a man can wear...

You got yourself a keeper there......:becky:

nucornhusker
03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
my wife says the hickory smoke is the best cologne a man can wear...Same here man. My wife can't stop smelling me when I am done cooking. I'll deal with less smokey food for a day to get that kind of treatment.

Because if your wife is close to you and smelling you a lot, chances are good for a great evening. :thumb:

Callahan-que
03-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I thought I was the only "Q'r" that showered after cooking. And, I too find smoked food is MUCH tastier the next day!

Oh no, you're not the only one. Got to have me a shower while the food is resting and leftovers are much more tastier the next day. The day of the cook I can't taste the smoke half as much as I can the next day.

smokeyokie
03-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with you all, for the longest time when I do a big cook I wont even eat the Que' till way later or next day, now I have always showered afterward I do notice a difference but a few hours away from the cooker makes a huge difference

Smoking Bruin
03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Yup, yup and yup. It's much easier for me to taste the smoke the following day. I'm with the others..I look forward to showering after a day of smoking.

teej
03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
even just washing the face seems to help for me...
I sometimes shower while everything is resting but my wife says the hickory smoke is the best cologne a man can wear...

I get the same thing...until I try to sit on the furniture. :icon_blush:

teej
03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
<----Hey look! I finally got wood!

Big Mike's BBQ
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Of course taste and smell are related. Ever notice how when your nose is stuffed up nothing tastes right? For me a quick hot shower and a farmer blow before I get out and the Q tastes good again. Few years back I knew a couple teams would bring a wife or someone else in on saturday that had not been around the food to taste for smoke flavor, not much could be done about it at that point but could adjust cooking practices for the future.

Big Mike