PDA

View Full Version : How To Get A Deeper Smoke Ring?

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 01:13 PM
How do I get a better smoke ring on meats? I'm using an 18" WSM with enough oak and hickory that I have to tell the neighbors not to call the fire department. I've tried putting the meat on cold and room temp. Mainly doing ribs, butts and brisket. There is a trace of ring and the flavor is there for sure. Just seeing some pic's here make me wonder if folks are doing something special to achieve a deep ring.

Any and all input appreciated. :-D

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Tender Quick is how most people get a big smoke ring

daninnewjersey
03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm no expert but how I get a good ring is to put the meat on before the smoker is up to temp. I usually smoke at about 300 so I'll put the meat on at like 150-180. Not sure if that's the best way but it works for me.....

Golden Toad BBQ
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Careful with TenderQuick... Just a quick dip and rinse it off. Experiment with it if you are going to use it at comps. I tried it once on brisket (at home) in my FEC100 and the ring was huge and a deep deep color. It was very evident that it was chemically produced. I haven't usee it since...

Toad

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Put the meat on straight out of the fridge so it develops a nice ring before hitting 140.

These were pulled out of the fridge and lightly dusted on the top with a low sodium home made rub. As you can see, the ring is pretty deep.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/ElRopo/April1stRips002.jpg

Another good example is to cook a butt or picnic by rubbing right before cooking, and keeping the roast as cold as possible before tossing on the fire. 250ish for first hour, then ramped up to 300 to finish:

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/ElRopo/Picnic0023.jpg

As you can see, the color is very deep. No tenderquick required, just good fire management.

Just a quick edit in response to what was posted while I was posting. Putting meat on before the cooker is stable and showing TBS, thin blue smoke is a huge mistake. Wait till cooker is stable and putting out thin to invisible smoke before adding meat.

You can go to youtube and watch idiots smoke with white poofy smoke all day, it doesn't mean their bbq tasted good.

Phrasty
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Dont use TQ.. that's not a "smoke" ring... Ive found that different woods penetrate differently. Smoke penetration stops after a certain point in cooking the meat. Ideally you want to smoke at a lower temp than at 300 if you want a nice ring. Give the smoke more time to penetrate before the meat reaches the point where it will no longer need the smoke.

So if you want a deeper smoke ring, smoke at 250 for a bit then bump it up to 300 if you'd like.

Cheers

Pitmaster T
03-24-2012, 01:48 PM
sea salt

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
sea salt

That's it? That's your karate kid advice?

LOL, J/K. I appreciate all the wisdom you provide for us T, but... Really? sea salt? Kosher will do the same thing from my very limited experience. :icon_blush:

I learned how to do que right by taking your advice, but it seems I just had to go out and buy some expensive and rare sea salt. Hehehe. :boxing::boink:

Bacon_99
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Put the meat on straight out of the fridge so it develops a nice ring before hitting 140.

+1

Find this works well, unlike grilling steak where I let the meat come up to room temp anything I do low and slow I take form the fridge straight to the BGE.

landarc
03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
That Tenderquik comments was a little fast and easy. You can get a good ring with reasonable depth without using Tenderquik. These things can produce a better smoke ring, maybe even more than 1/4" depth.

1. Use charcoal briquettes instead of lump.

2. Use a couple of wet wood chunks, or not fully cured wood, as the added moisture adds to smoke ring development. You can also add one or two smallish chunks just before putting meat on, the smoke will have more nitrogen dioxide at a cooler temperature.

3. Cook at a lower temperature for at least two hours. 200F to 215F will work.

4. Use cold meat and do not let a pellicle (sticky membrane form) which will mean more moisture in the surface layer of the meat.

5. Use non-processed salt, such as sea salt per Donnies recommendation, any mineral rich salt will do. I use Redmond RealSalt brand Kosher style salt.

I think you can taste Tenderquik on meat, so it is not such a good additive for ribs and brisket.

Golden Toad BBQ
03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
That Tenderquik comments was a little fast and easy. You can get a good ring with reasonable depth without using Tenderquik. These things can produce a better smoke ring, maybe even more than 1/4" depth.

1. Use charcoal briquettes instead of lump.

2. Use a couple of wet wood chunks, or not fully cured wood, as the added moisture adds to smoke ring development. You can also add one or two smallish chunks just before putting meat on, the smoke will have more nitrogen dioxide at a cooler temperature.

3. Cook at a lower temperature for at least two hours. 200F to 215F will work.

4. Use cold meat and do not let a pellicle (sticky membrane form) which will mean more moisture in the surface layer of the meat.

5. Use non-processed salt, such as sea salt per Donnies recommendation, any mineral rich salt will do. I use Redmond RealSalt brand Kosher style salt.

I think you can taste Tenderquik on meat, so it is not such a good additive for ribs and brisket.

You can definitely taste the TenderQuick... I'm not a fan...

Toad

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
You can also add one or two smallish chunks just before putting meat on, the smoke will have more nitrogen dioxide at a cooler temperature.

That's EXACTLY what TQ does for the meat, it loads up the meat with carbon dioxide...

Yes, you can taste TQ on your meat, if you don't rinse it THOROUGHLY before putting it on the smoker.

Sure there are other ways to get a smoke ring, and the ways mentioned above are all good ones. The bottom line is the longer it's on the smoke below 165 degrees the more smoke flavor, and the larger your smoke ring is going to be.

Many people will tell you using TQ is cheating. You're chemically enhancing the meat. In fact some are SO very opposed to this practice you will think TQ = Cyanide... LOL The bottom line is that ANYTHING you put on your meat is a chemical enhancement. Would you think of submitting a brisket that wasn't rubbed? or Injected? BOTH chemical enhancement.

Also, worth noting, the judges are not supposed to judge the smoke ring on the meat.... but most of them will admit, it adds to the overall appearance of the brisket.

The last brisket I turned in at a comp was completely devoid of a smoke ring. I think it was the injection that I was using... in any case, I got marked down CONSIDERABLY because of the lack of smoke ring. The flavor, and tenderness were good, and I scored well in all those areas, EXCEPT appearance.

Lesson learned.

Golden Toad BBQ
03-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Also, worth noting, the judges are not supposed to judge the smoke ring on the meat.... but most of them will admit, it adds to the overall appearance of the brisket.

I agree 100%! A nice smoke ring adds to the overall appearance of brisket! And the judges notice it!!!

Toad

landarc
03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Kenny Rogers, I don't contest your statement about the smoke ring being important in competitions, but, how do you know you go marked down for not having one? I believe you would get marked down, since I believe judges do mark based on smoke ring. I am just wondering how you know that, did a judge actually talk to you?

I understand the mechanism of Tenderquik, and would use it if I was looking for a great smoke ring, I do not consider it poison or cheating. But, since I don't actually like the meat in the smoke ring asmuch, I think it doesn't tastes as good, I tend to shy from using it.

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
The bottom line is the longer it's on the smoke below 165 degrees the more smoke flavor, and the larger your smoke ring is going to be.Unless I've been mislead all of these years, 135-140 is when the ring will stop. Hence the need to keep meat cold before tossing on the cooker.

blues_n_cues
03-24-2012, 03:01 PM
low pit temp,overnight salt rub(wash after),& cold meat.
minimum fat cap.

the ring do stop @ 140f.:thumb:

Moose
03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I get a pretty massive smoke ring just by putting the meat on as soon as the coals are lit.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/Sept%2018%202011%20Thai%20Ribs/IMG_5534.jpg

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Kenny Rogers, I don't contest your statement about the smoke ring being important in competitions, but, how do you know you go marked down for not having one? I believe you would get marked down, since I believe judges do mark based on smoke ring. I am just wondering how you know that, did a judge actually talk to you?

I understand the mechanism of Tenderquik, and would use it if I was looking for a great smoke ring, I do not consider it poison or cheating. But, since I don't actually like the meat in the smoke ring asmuch, I think it doesn't tastes as good, I tend to shy from using it.

I know because we received the judges score cards with comments after the competition. Noting the color of the meat, which was the right color, just not colored with a smoke ring for contrast.

Anyways... I wasn't necessarily talking about you when I said that some people liken it to poison... but there are many out there that do. My suggestion to the OP would be to do two briskets side by side, and see for himself... Some people like it, some people don't... but the poles are very far apart. Kinda like the use of foil...

Mister Bob
03-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I have never used TenderQuick and I get deep dark smoke rings.

1 - Put the meat directly from the refrigerator into the cooker. The more time the meat stays under 140 degrees in the smoke, the better. The reaction that causes the smoke ring stops somewhere near that temperature.

2 - Give the brisket a light spritz right before it goes in the cooker. Damp meat produces deeper smoke rings than dry.

3 - Make sure there is good airflow in the cooker. Keep your exhaust vent wide open and cook with a small hot fire. Wood and charcoal contain nitrogen, which combines with oxygen in the air to form nitrogen dioxide. A small clean burning fire allows more NO2 to pass across the surface of the damp meat, which reacts with the water to make nitrous acid. It's this nitrous acid that penetrates into the meat and reacts with the myoglobin in the meat to produce that nice pink color that looks so pretty but has no effect on taste.

4 - I have heard that charcoal briquettes produce more nitrogen dioxide than lump, but I haven't tested that theory. I cook brisket strictly with lump charcoal with 5 or 6 wood chunks scattered throughout.

Here's a great article that explains the process in great detail. http://thehogblog.com/?p=1295

Here are a few briskets I've cooked using the methods above, not one with TenderQuick! Good luck!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Brisket%20and%20Butt%20Times%20Two/BrisketandButtsX2-102400038.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Competition%20Brisket%20Practice%202-5-12/BrisketPractice8602-5-1224.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Summer%20BBQ/IMG_2055-1.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Angus%20Brisket%209-11-11/AngusBrisket1024025.jpg

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Unless I've been mislead all of these years, 135-140 is when the ring will stop. Hence the need to keep meat cold before tossing on the cooker.

El Ropo, you are correct... I believe that it is around 135-140, however this is disputed as much as obamacare... everyone has their own opinion on that.

Here is one of THE BEST articles I've seen on the subject of science in bbq

http://steeltownbbq.com/3.html

The best way to figure it out is experimentation! The good news is you get to eat all your mistakes!

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I have never used TenderQuick and I get deep dark smoke rings.

1 - Put the meat directly from the refrigerator into the cooker. The more time the meat stays under 140 degrees in the smoke, the better. The reaction that causes the smoke ring stops somewhere near that temperature.

2 - Give the brisket a light spritz right before it goes in the cooker. Damp meat produces deeper smoke rings than dry.

3 - Make sure there is good airflow in the cooker. Keep your exhaust vent wide open and cook with a small hot fire. Wood and charcoal contain nitrogen, which combines with oxygen in the air to form nitrogen dioxide. A small clean burning fire allows more NO2 to pass across the surface of the damp meat, which reacts with the water to make nitrous acid. It's this nitrous acid that penetrates into the meat and reacts with the myoglobin in the meat to produce that nice pink color that looks so pretty but has no effect on taste.

4 - I have heard that charcoal briquettes produce more nitrogen dioxide than lump, but I haven't tested that theory. I cook brisket strictly with lump charcoal with 5 or 6 wood chunks scattered throughout.

Here's a great article that explains the process in great detail. http://thehogblog.com/?p=1295

Here are a few briskets I've cooked using the methods above, not one with TenderQuick! Good luck!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Brisket%20and%20Butt%20Times%20Two/BrisketandButtsX2-102400038.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Competition%20Brisket%20Practice%202-5-12/BrisketPractice8602-5-1224.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Summer%20BBQ/IMG_2055-1.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/Angus%20Brisket%209-11-11/AngusBrisket1024025.jpg

Some mighty fine lookin meat you got there!

CarolinaQue
03-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Any body have any scientific data about the ring stopping in the 135*-140* range? The article Kenny provided does a great job of explaining what is going on at certain temps, but I didn't see any thing that suggested that the ring stopped forming at those temps.

As far as the OP...how much salt is in your rub? I've noticed that lower salt rubs don't produce as deep of a ring IMO.

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 03:39 PM
A Huge Thanks to All! Talk about info overload (In a Great way) This is it. I will be reading all the links posted and this thread again.

I'm thinking the fire might have something to do with it now. I light very few coals with the minion method and it takes some time to get to temp. I also use water in the pan. I will also put the meat on as cold as possible and go low up until 140-160*. I do use K-salt and will moisten the meat before loading the WSM.

What a Great site.

Bigmista
03-24-2012, 04:03 PM
If you didn't live in Louisiana I'd tell you to add moisture but I'm sure you have enough humidity in the air. Humidity helps with smoke ring. Why is it important to you? Just a stickler for appearance? Smoke ring has nothing to do with flavor.

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Do you use COLD water in your pan?

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
If you didn't live in Louisiana I'd tell you to add moisture but I'm sure you have enough humidity in the air. Humidity helps with smoke ring. Why is it important to you? Just a stickler for appearance? Smoke ring has nothing to do with flavor.

Thanks for the reply Bigmista. Amen on the humidity factor. We're getting our 2 weeks of Spring before the heat and humidity really start. After looking at all the great pic's here, I was wondering how they do it.

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Do you use COLD water in your pan?

I do Kenny or sometimes luke warm.

big brother smoke
03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
No TQ needed:becky:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/bigbrothersmoke/DSC05669.jpg

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM

The colder the water, the longer you can smoke at lower temps. Some people pit ice in their waterpans...

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I get a pretty massive smoke ring just by putting the meat on as soon as the coals are lit.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/Sept%2018%202011%20Thai%20Ribs/IMG_5534.jpg

You forgot to post a pic of what the exhaust smoke looked like. We have to cover all the bases here, as we are the BBQ scientists from hell!

I know that if I dump an expensive hunk of meat on a cooker, I'll wait for TBS before starting.

If you go to youtube, and search for bbq, it'll show thousands of cooks started with white billowy smoke. Many of these folks are wearing $100+ chefs' uniforms, yet they suck at bbq. Not how I do it.

The youtube folks also talk about soaking their wood, and you can see the nasty results in their videos.

Stick around here to get better info.

Did I mention this forum is the best of all time? Guess I just did. :biggrin1:

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM
You forgot to post a pic of what the exhaust smoke looked like. We have to cover all the bases here, as we are the BBQ scientists from hell!

I know that if I dump an expensive hunk of meat on a cooker, I'll wait for TBS before starting.

If you go to youtube, and search for bbq, it'll show thousands of cooks started with white billowy smoke. Many of these folks are wearing $100+ chefs' uniforms, yet they suck at bbq. Not how I do it.

The youtube folks also talk about soaking their wood, and you can see the nasty results in their videos.

Stick around here to get better info.

Did I mention this forum is the best of all time? Guess I just did. :biggrin1:

Read my post above. You Guys simply Blow me away with all your knowledge!

campdude
03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Like the others have said. Start at a lower pit temp and ramp up over the first hour or two. Also, start with cold meat. I've never noticed a difference in hot or cold water in the pan to start. In both of these pics, the meat was cold when put in at about 225-230* and the pan water was hot tap water.

nrok2118
03-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Ive never understood the "more smoke ring". I run my wsm with some blue K and some chunks of whatever I can get my hands on with an IQue110. I let my meat sit out while prepping. I even wait till my fire evens out and smoke is minimal. Yet if I dont foil I end up with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/nrok2118/IMG_0245.jpg

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Ive never understood the "more smoke ring". I run my wsm with some blue K and some chunks of whatever I can get my hands on with an IQue110. I let my meat sit out while prepping. I even wait till my fire evens out and smoke is minimal. Yet if I dont foil I end up with this:

OK, now this is what I do not understand. nrok, What temp do you put the meat on and what at temps do you smoke? I do close to the same thing.

nrok2118
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM
those ribs were cooked at 260-275 unfoiled for about 4-5 hours. I get the meat out, rub it up (these were just salt and pepper) and let it sit out while I get the fire ready. They even sit out for up to an hour as my fire settles in. I wait till Im up to temp to put them on. Like I said, Ive NEVER had a problem with smoke rings:confused:

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 05:05 PM
those ribs were cooked at 260-275 unfoiled for about 4-5 hours. I get the meat out, rub it up (these were just salt and pepper) and let it sit out while I get the fire ready. They even sit out for up to an hour as my fire settles in. I wait till Im up to temp to put them on. Like I said, Ive NEVER had a problem with smoke rings:confused:

Thanks nrok. I've got a brand new plan from this thread. Hope to post results :-D

MICHIGAN SMOKE
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Some mighty fine lookin meat you got there!

...that's what she said

Lake Dogs
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Any body have any scientific data about the ring stopping in the 135*-140* range? The article Kenny provided does a great job of explaining what is going on at certain temps, but I didn't see any thing that suggested that the ring stopped forming at those temps.

As far as the OP...how much salt is in your rub? I've noticed that lower salt rubs don't produce as deep of a ring IMO.

I'm still searching, but yes there is. It's been 3 or 4 years since I saw and read it, but it's out there. I think Patio Daddio sent that link.

Pitmaster T
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
That's it? That's your karate kid advice?

LOL, J/K. I appreciate all the wisdom you provide for us T, but... Really? sea salt? Kosher will do the same thing from my very limited experience. :icon_blush:

I learned how to do que right by taking your advice, but it seems I just had to go out and buy some expensive and rare sea salt. Hehehe. :boxing::boink:

I MUST LIKE YOU BEACAUSE I AM TYPING THIS TWICE!!!!!

I guess its a good thing because I can edit the off color stuff out.

They say that RINGS are not judged. Well that is like a naked perfectly proportioned oiled up olive skinned 18 year old girl sitting on your bed after you scribbled all over her and she is freshly shaved and she asks "what is my best feature" and you look at her boobs and say "your eyes babe" and she gets all mad at you cuz you looked at her boobs.

Remember, I don't compete anymore so I look at this from a different way... even though I can modify things at any given time. The other posters hit every point so I felt the best I could add would be a salt that had nitrates in it.

I think the big one is temp control. My video of course does not show this mostly because when I do 30-40 briskets or so the pit can't help take a while to creep back up to 270. When I do one at 270 from start to finish I do not get much of a ring. So the advise to put a cold brisket on a cooler pit is solid advice.

They also say rings have nothing to do with flavor which is true but the elements it takes to get there contribute to flavor. I purposely for the last 3 years smoke the first 2 hours at 220 or below. I get a good ring but I get a DEPTH that people say is missing with hot and fast style. After 2 I crank it up to 270 until I hear the meat.

as far a ribs..... RIBS PINK ALL THE WAY THROUGH I COMPLETELY HATE!!!!! I don't hate the people that like it... I hate the meat. Its gross and, LOL anyone serving BBQ up North to this day STILL gets the dumb arse that insists its not cooked. LOL For ribs I thrown them on at 270 and they have no choice but to get that contrasting red ring. I am not saying either is right or wrong... its just preference. Some of us who have a partial ring in their ribs probably would like to see a girl like Taylor Swift all oiled up and ready for action completely nude on a hammock where you can stick it through the lacing of the rope while those who like pink all the way through their ribs may like to watch Wilford Brimley and Ricahrd Simmons all oiled up and at it.

Pitmaster T
03-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I think I need my Barbefunkoramaque password back

Triple T BBQ
03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, add a little salt to the rub and stick it on there right out of the fridge. I always try and do my injections the night before. I get the pit up to temp and slap the brisket on there with the smoke going well. Has worked pretty well for us.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383949_2683520171280_1354630820_33082866_267200193 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317176_2419628174145_1354630820_32894150_170592594 8_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419095_3401262994402_1354630820_33392616_203807098 0_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400989_3404295310208_1354630820_33393866_214403215 0_n.jpg

frohe
03-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Low cooking temp to start and taking the meat from the fridge straight to the cooker. In combo, these techniques produce a great smoke ring.

Having said that tho, smoke rings IMO are over-rated by most. It's the taste of the meat on the palate that satisfies, not some visual of a smoke ring.

CarolinaQue
03-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Those ribs aren't "enhanced" are they? THe only time I've ever gotten ribs to come out like that, they were enhanced ones I bought by mistake.

CarolinaQue
03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
To the OP...just a quick story. Tonight, I cooked some ribs that I marinaded in a mustard based sauce I use from time to time. I used a rub that I would consider a high salt comp rub. I put the ribs on my Weber using Stubb's natural briquettes and a chunk of maple and peach for smoke. I put the ribs on at the 225* cooker temp mark, but I ran the Weber up to 300* and kept it there as I was pressed for time. I foiled the ribs at an hour and a half for 45 minutes and took them back out for 30 minutes or so. They were small spare ribs that I got from a connection that was trying a new cut of ribs that Smithfield was field testing. They were also on the thin side for the thinckness of the meat. Just offering that up to explain my cook times. They passed the bend test and had plenty of pull back, so I knew they were done to the point of every other rib I cook.

Suffice it to say...the smoke ring SUCKED!!! So did the ribs...but like I said...I tried a few things I was curious about because they were free, and comp season is starting to ramp up here.

My point is, I think that the marinade and higher cook temps killed the smoke ring formation. From this point on, those 2 things will change and I'm only cooking on my comp rig after I bring it back from my shop next week when I finish the changes I'm making to it.

nrok2118
03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Those ribs aren't "enhanced" are they? THe only time I've ever gotten ribs to come out like that, they were enhanced ones I bought by mistake.

nope!

CarolinaQue
03-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Ya did a damn outstanding job!!!

jestridge
03-24-2012, 07:20 PM
MAybe using big logs of wood instead of a few wood chips.

landarc
03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Look, I can get a smoke ring too.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/P8020125.jpg

Even on ribs
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/P2130067.jpg

blues_n_cues
03-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Even on ribs

it's actually easier & faster on pork btw.
nice meats Land........:clap:

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Even on ribs

landarc, That top pic looks about what I have on brisket. My ribs don't even look close to the nice ring you have.

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM

Water? There is no need for water pans in BBQ. Leave the gol darn lid closed and let the magic happen.

Yes I'm not joking. Fill the water pan 1/3 full with either play sand or other similar rock product. Once the cooking temps get up there, they will stay there for a very very long time.

Water just forces the cooker to burn more fuel. Adjust intakes to control temps. Water is a crutch on the same level as foil.

blues_n_cues
03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Water? There is no need for water pans in BBQ. Leave the gol darn lid closed and let the magic happen.

Yes I'm not joking. Fill the water pan 1/3 full with either play sand or other similar rock product. Once the cooking temps get up there, they will stay there for a very very long time.

Water just forces the cooker to burn more fuel. Adjust intakes to control temps. Water is a crutch on the same level as foil.

depends on size & design. Backwoods,Brink vert box,Spicewine- w/out a catchall & 60 lbs of pork is fire. water is free- sand costs...:blabla:

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/chad0407/IMG_8806_0322.jpg

Here's the one I just pulled off the WSM....

What do you think? TQ? or no?

Happy Hapgood
03-24-2012, 08:39 PM

OK El Ropo,

I'm just a babe in the woods when it comes to outright indoor cookin'. My Mom (RIP) did it then my wife did it. My Wife (aka Pork Puller) has been in Paradise for now on 36 years. She says Paradise is HELL but I went deaf around the frequency of Female speech about 20 years ago.

I don't know how to use a washing machine. But if it breaks, I can fix it :becky:

I'm trying to learn Quality BBQ from the ground up so to speak. The things you Pro's take for granted, I'm trying my best to learn for the first time. Going slow and using the Weber approved water in pan method until I graduate to HH. Heck, I've only had about 25 smokes on this rig so far. The gasser is another thing though.

I know for sure, I'm in the right place to Make It Happen hanging here at this Great site with You and the other Fine Folks here! :-D

El Ropo
03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice Landarc!

No need for TQ, just run smoker for first hour at a lower temp (250ish), then ramp it up to 300-325. Don't forget to keep the meat cold till tossing on the cooker.

This works for brisket, chuckies, ribs, lamb shanks, basically any large piece of unlean meat.

Lean cuts like pork loin, chicken parts, tri tip, any type of sirloin roast require special attention to temps.

frohe
03-25-2012, 07:28 AM

It's nice to see someone else who thinks using water isn't needed. When I had my WSM, I tried that water pan a couple times and thought to myself "what a waste of energy!". Ditched it, then I got rid of the WSM - not enough space. Went back to my barrel and have been happy ever since.

CarolinaQue
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
I think that it depends on the cooker...some need water in them or you end up with a grease fire...some, just cook better that way. It's kinda like the foil debate.