PDA

View Full Version : New 22.5 Wsm

IowaWildHogsBbq
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Got my new wsm yesterday got it put together. I had a 10lb pork butt ready to smoke I filled up the charcoal ring and dumped half a chimney of lit coals on top. The first couple hours it ran about 315 and then settled down to 270. My question is when I get this broke in will the temps run more around the 250 range where I usally like to smoke? Is it cause I had to much fuel for just one butt? I am going get about 4 smokes on it before my first comp of the year should be dialed in by then. Took 6 hours to smoke just cause it was running hot. Got done around 11:30 last night closed all the vents it was still at 180 at 8:30 this morning that is gonna be great for comps.

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I use the minion method of loading mine. Mine will run at 225 or wherever I want it for A LONG time before it runs out of fuel.
I'm used to cooking on the BGE so, I DO NOT overshoot my temps when warming up, I slowly ramp them.

lcbateman3
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
It took about five cooks for mine to get coated good inside where I can hold temps pretty well now. Got to get the shiny off :)

G$
03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
You will have no trouble running at 225, 250, etc. You should be able to get those temps now by closing your vents more.

I fill the ring and use the minion method (with a stoker usually - but that is not required). I can easily get 12 or more hours on a load.

In addition to seasoning it a few times, I have found that I like to use bungee cords to hold the door tight (therebye preventing excess combustion air). Do this at your own risk - bungees will melt/snap at high heat.

G$
03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
One other thing. How are you measuring actual temp?

Kenny Rogers
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Did you fill the pan with COLD water?

IowaWildHogsBbq
03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I was using the probe with my maveric and i just foiled the pan. i figured you would have to build up some gunk to help regulate temp better. i am thinking about a guru just so i can sleep this thing alone is very fuel efficient a guru would make this thing sing right along.

dosvans
03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
You also may want to start with a little less lit charcoal. I run my WSM about 230 for Pork Butt and I start with no more than a 1/4 chimney of lit charcoal.

The Virginian
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Here is my experience with WSMs when not using a Guru:
1. Don't let the temp get away from you. Sneak up on your target temp. Once its over, it can take a long time to get it back down. Adjust the dampers as needed.
2. Water in the pan makes it easier to hit and hold temps in the 225-250 range. If I use a guru, then I just put in foil balls in the water pan, but otherwise I use water.

Brett

amv81
03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I started with 15 briquettes in my chimney and then dumped them minion style. Once it got up to 210 deg. I closed two bottom vents and i went up to 265 and stayed right around there for 12 hours. Less charcoal as a starter adds more burn time. Seemed to work for me.

TomB
03-25-2012, 06:05 AM
All good tips. I especially agree with amv81 about closing the vents early. I operate my WSM at about 250 on the dome thermo with no water - just a foiled pan and the minion method. Normally close bottom vents to just about a 1/4 way open.

K-Train
03-25-2012, 06:45 AM
I just gota wsm 22 myself. I pimped it out with a cajun bandit door and some gaskets to go around the door and where the dome meets the body. Also got some grommets to let the probes for the guru in. Did a first cook on it Friday night also pork. The guru got it dialed right in. Haven't tried without it yet, except a few burns to season it with no meat.

sportsnut
03-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I use minion method with a full chimney dumped in the middle and a full pan of water. Start with bottom 3 vents wide open and top open. When temp gets to about 220* close all 3 bottom vents to 50% and leave top wide open. Your 22" WSM will now hold at 225-250* until you run out of fuel.

Bencops
03-31-2012, 01:57 AM
I just gota wsm 22 myself. I pimped it out with a cajun bandit door and some gaskets to go around the door and where the dome meets the body. Also got some grommets to let the probes for the guru in. Did a first cook on it Friday night also pork. The guru got it dialed right in. Haven't tried without it yet, except a few burns to season it with no meat.

Hi can you describe or show photos of the door gaskets? Interested to see how you did it.

swamprb
03-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Its gonna run hot a couple cooks until you get a good season on it.

From TVWBB tips:

But Wait...Shouldn't I Season My New WSM Before Using It?

After all, that's what the "big boys" do with their custom-built barbecue rigs, right?

I am here to tell you that...wait for it...

No, you don't have to season your new Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker before you start cooking with it.

Why do the "big boys" rub down the inside of their pits with peanut oil or bacon grease and fire them up to season them? Because their pits are made of raw steel, and much like a cast iron skillet, that raw steel will rust without a protective coating of seasoning.

Your shiny, new Weber Bullet is made of steel with a porcelain enamel finish inside and out. If the custom-built pit is like a cast iron skillet, the WSM is like a piece of Le Creuset cookware—it doesn't need seasoning and will provide many years of excellent service without rusting.

But Wait...I Heard The WSM Runs Hot When New. That Means I Should Season It, Right?

According to Weber, a Smokey Mountain Cooker may run up to 50°F hotter when new. The shiny interior surfaces reflect heat back into the cooker, resulting in higher than normal cooking temperatures. After 2-3 uses, a layer of smoke and grease builds up on the interior. As a result, it becomes less reflective and absorbs more heat, which radiates out of the cooker and results in lower cooking temperatures.

However, it should be noted that not all new WSM owners notice this 50°F difference. Besides, 50°F is just not that big a deal. If your new Weber Bullet is running 275°F instead of 225°F, you're still operating at a good barbecuing temperature. Anything in the range of 225-275°F, or even as high as 300°F, is fine, especially during the first 2-3 runs with your new cooker.

frohe
03-31-2012, 03:21 AM
No, you don't have to season your new Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker before you start cooking with it.

Why do the "big boys" rub down the inside of their pits with peanut oil or bacon grease and fire them up to season them? Because their pits are made of raw steel, and much like a cast iron skillet, that raw steel will rust without a protective coating of seasoning.

Your shiny, new Weber Bullet is made of steel with a porcelain enamel finish inside and out. If the custom-built pit is like a cast iron skillet, the WSM is like a piece of Le Creuset cookware—it doesn't need seasoning and will provide many years of excellent service without rusting.

While true, the WSM can accumulate dust and other gunk while sitting around in some warehouse waiting to be sold and shipped. A good burn-out will get rid of that stuff.

K-Train
03-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi can you describe or show photos of the door gaskets? Interested to see how you did it.

I got mine on e-bay. Just type in Weber Smokey Mountain and it'l come up. I think it was around $30. The only thing is the cement that goes with it isn't too good, at least not for me. I'm going to buy some high temp silicon stove sealer.

Sauce Dog
03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Agreed with the posts above. My 22.5's ran hot for the first couple smokes. Definitely recommend confirming the internal temp with probes aimed in the air. If the weather is cooperating, I typically close the bottom vents to 1/4 open once it hits about 200 and slightly adjust from there (top vent always open). I also only scatter 10-12 lit coals across a full basket for butts. Once the meat goes in the temp will dip for a bit. These cookers are awesome, have fun!