PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron on a Glass top stove???

Smoker101
03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Is this a bad thing to do because i don't want to break anything. I was told "NO" but i did see some people doing this? Any comments on this. Thanks for the help.

CarolinaQue
03-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't do it. Using cast iron is why I have a standard electric stove and not a flat top. I'd live to have gas, but I didn't think far enough ahead when I had the house built. One of these days I'll plumb in a gas line and put in a tank.

nthole
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
There are porcelain coated dutch ovens and cast iron skillets that are safe for flat tops. We have them and love them. But you can't use regular cast iron without risking scratching the top to pieces.

yomar
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I do it all the time w/ no problems. Just be careful not to slide it. Done it for years not one scratch.

Wyley
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I have two 12" Lodge CI skillets that I have used exclusively on my glass top stove for a couple of years with no problems. I make sure that I pick them up and set them down very carefully.

1FUNVET
03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I have to use cast iron on the stove in my shop.My wife threatened to shoot me if she ever saw cast iron on her glass top.

thirdeye
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2014/DSC01657a.jpg

I use my vintage cast iron griddles, skillets and my one-egg skillet all the time, no scratches at all.... The griddle has a ridge so the full bottom surface is not actually in contact with the stovetop, the others are in full contact. About the only precaution I took was to clean any build-up out of the lettering on the bottom, which makes clean-up of the stove top easier. (the CI skillets I use on my cooker are not used on the stovetop.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC09016a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/CopyofDSC08113a.jpg

thirdeye
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
And BTW, I use my pressure cookers, pressure canner, tamale pot on them too..... are any of those supposed to be harmful??

Babyboomerboy
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I do it all the time w/ no problems. Just be careful not to slide it. Done it for years not one scratch.

What he said

Shooter1
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I've had my glass flat top stove going on 15 years now. I use cast iron skillets on it all the time. Not a single scratch but I am careful. Wife has nothing to say about it, it's my stove! LOL

hockeyfox
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I do it all the time. My cast iron bottom is relatively smooth but I make sure I season the bottom with a healthy coating of oil before each use. Never had a problem.

CarolinaQue
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I guess it just goes to show that not every thing you hear is true.

Thirdeye...those vintage pieces look great! I have a couple vintage Griswolds and a vintage Wagner Ware that I love to use. That square egg pan looks really cool also!

sassage
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Just make sure the bottom is smooth to the touch and don't slide it...you'll be fine

caseydog
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I've had a ceramic cooktop for ten years, and use cast iron on it all the time. Those tops are not glass, they are ceramic, which is much more durable than glass.

I also slide my cast iron on the cooktop, just like I would any other pan.

Some of my cast iron is enameled, and some is antique plain cast iron.

No problems at all -- well, other than I wish I had gone with a gas stove, instead. :doh:

CD

Smoker101
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
thanks all for all the info. i am just not sure about it as of yet. stove is only 4 years old and i do not want to drop anything on it. i will not let me wife near the stove because she has butter fingers and drop stuff all the time. so i do all the cooking and because i love it so much. once again thanks for the information.

Greg1911
03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I've used CI on my glass top stove and I slide 'em around for 9+ years. Don't care if I ruin it but it hasn't happened yet.

Dammit