PDA

View Full Version : Yield Question

Dex
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Does foiling your pork butts cut down on your yield? I smoked at 225 and took it to 160 then wrapped, and bumped the temp to 300. Pulled at 195.

I just smoked 2 pork butts on my Big Green Egg that totaled probably 15.5 lbs.
My finished product yielded right at 6 lbs. These were bone in butts.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with the higher yield I got on my FEC pellet pooper?

Your thoughts?

The Cosmic Pig
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Fatty butts? I've never really noticed a difference, but it looks like wrapping would retain juices = more weight, but I'm not basing this on any facts; more just "thinking with my fingers." I've always calculated 60 percent of starting weight for the finished product when smoking butts.

Happy Hapgood
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I vote No it does not.

El Ropo
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
When it comes to pulling pork, I don't count on more than a 50% yield. I'm very picky when prepping the cooked meat, so all of the fatty stuff leftover gets tossed.

IMO, anyone who is looking for a 60-65% yield on butts or picnics is leaving lots of stuff in the meat that I'd normally cull.

You said you pulled at 195, was it probe tender? Or did you go strictly by internal temp? Every pig is different, and this cut of meat will finish at a different temp. 195 is on the very low side of what I would consider done. When bone pulls or wiggles easily, or the poke test passes, that is when it's done. Going by final temp is something I learned to dismiss after my first two butt cooks.

I guess smoking at 225 could of allowed it to fully render at 195, but it's hard to say with limited info.

Happy Hapgood
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
When it comes to pulling pork, I don't count on more than a 50% yield. I'm very picky when prepping the cooked meat, so all of the fatty stuff leftover gets tossed.

IMO, anyone who is looking for a 60-65% yield on butts or picnics is leaving lots of stuff in the meat that I'd normally cull.

You said you pulled at 195, was it probe tender? Or did you go strictly by internal temp? Every pig is different, and this cut of meat will finish at a different temp. 195 is on the very low side of what I would consider done. When bone pulls or wiggles easily, or the poke test passes, that is when it's done. Going by final temp is something I learned to dismiss after my first two butt cooks.

What He Said 110% :clap2:

Dex
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh it was done. for sure. They even rested in a cooler for another hour after before I shredded them. I've cooked hundreds of pork butts on Backwoods, FEC, and the Big Green Egg and have never seen suck low yield. This is the first that I have foiled. I don't leave chunks of fat either. I usually get 4+ lbs of finished product. My two pork butts tonight were like 3.2 lbs and 2.6 lbs

smokeyw
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I consistently yield between 50% and 55% and I also foil.

The Cosmic Pig
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM

This is totally dependent on the quality of the product you start with. There's also a big difference in a butt and a picnic. I'd agree with a 50% return on a picnic, but I don't smoke butts that weigh more than 7 - 7.5 pounds, and in my experience they generally have much less fat. I don't leave any "stuff" in my pork that shouldn't be there, either.